International Travel challenges

Started by jpendle, September 20, 2021, 04:42:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

red_death

Just back from a long weekend in Seville with some mates and it was a massive hassle in both directions, though to be fair Spain's passenger locator form was considerably easier to complete than the UK's.

I've spent more on COVID tests than the flights.

Belly

Like Bealman, I entertain thoughts of attending TINGS and, time allowing, visiting relatives too.  However, after my last flight back from the US on those flying petri dishes, it's the last thing I want to put myself through at the moment.

As I'm in no rush, I'll continue to monitor and access and maybe, just maybe, the stars will align and I'll fulfil another highlight on my bucket list.

Cheers,

Geoff

jpendle

Quote from: njee20 on September 20, 2021, 07:27:54 PM
[How is a 55 minute connection at Brussels any better?! And at least one wholly unnecessary leg. And what's wrong with Heathrow Express? ???

It only goes to Paddington?

Any how I got here in the end  :D

One final irritation, when I went to board the flight to Belgium the airline staff were checking Passenger Locator Forms AND letting passengers fill them in at the gate.
Why I couldn't have done that on my original itinerary I don't know.

What was a little strange was the less than friendly attitude of Border Force and the fact that the airport was almost empty.

Regards,

John P

Check out my layout thread.

Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39501.msg476247#msg476247

And my Automation Thread

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=52597.msg687934#msg687934

njee20

Ah ok, so the problem is that Paddington is in the wrong place, not the connectivity to the rail network? That's ultimately no different to any airport which serves limited London termini!

Glad you made it anyway.

Gordon

Just to provide some 'good' balance to some of the reports of 'bad' so far:

my nephew has recently travelled by air  from the South Coast of England to eastern Romania changing planes in Vienna. No reports of any major hassles from him

my brother and his disabled wife have just been to Switzerland via France (driving via Eurotunnel) and again - no reports of major hassles, just lovely pictures - eg of Swiss Federal Railways' 'Crocodile' electric train and of them sitting having dinner by Lake Luzern with high mountains behind....

In fact on the 'plus' side their passports were stamped by the French on the outbound journey. I haven't had a western European passport stamp since I was ten (1970) - and even that was a request by my dad for a 'souvenir' because the border post was at the Austrian town of Bangs (Vorarlberg)...
Sometime Publicity Officer, N Gauge Society

Swiss Railways Consultant
French Railways Consultant
European railway expert

First British N loco (in 1972): Farish GER Holden tank!
Modelling French N gauge since 1975
Modelling Swiss and German N gauge since 1971

jpendle

Well the locals will be pleased to hear that I was allowed to leave the UK this morning  :D

I never received my day 2 PCR test results, but the fit to fly rapid test results came back in less than 4 hours.

Oh and what have you lot done with the weather since I was last over?

It barely rained once, and I spent most of my time sweating in jeans and a T-shirt, at the end of September!

After the gig on Saturday Northern Rail kindly cancelled the last train to Marple because the toilets weren't working
Most of the waiting passengers had had a skinful, but even so  >:(

So then I spent a pleasant 20 minutes waiting for a Taxi at midnight, in Manchester, in a T-shirt, and it wasn't cold  :goggleeyes:

One last moan, I booked my final night at an airport hotel as I had a 6am flight. When I checked in they told me that all their shuttle busses were fully booked between 4 and 5, and in any case that I should allow 2.5 hours to check in  :o
So I ended up getting up at 3:15am to get the 3:45am shuttle.

Check in to gate took less than 30 minutes  :veryangry:

Regards,

John P (not to be confused with JohnP)
Check out my layout thread.

Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39501.msg476247#msg476247

And my Automation Thread

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=52597.msg687934#msg687934

Malc

Quote from: jpendle on September 20, 2021, 05:06:19 PM
Quote from: emjaybee on September 20, 2021, 04:51:38 PM
Still think it's worth avoiding Heathrow?

:whistle:

Yep, and Charles de Gaulle, I'd rather stick pins in my eyes than change planes at either  :D

Now, if Heathrow had a proper rail link to the National Network I'd reconsider.

John P
I flew out of Charles de Gaulle on one occasion and just after I got on the plane the glass ceiling fell in onto the departure lounge. On another occasion I was walking round the outside of the terminal to the taxi rank when I was stopped by a gendarme. Apparently a suspicious package had been found at the taxi rank and none of the taxis were stopping. I explained I needed to get to Eurodisney as I was working there. He held his gun up and stepped into the roadway in front of the next taxi. He spoke rapidly to the driver who leapt out, threw my bag into the boot and pushed me into the back seat and left in a great hurry.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

joe cassidy

Am I right in believing that passenger locator forms are no longer required for passengers entering the UK from EU countries ?

Thanks in advance.

Yet_Another

Tony

'...things are not done by those who sit down to count the cost of every thought and act.' - Sir Daniel Gooch of IKB

joe cassidy

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations