The Adventures of Globibahn

Started by Globibahn, January 17, 2021, 09:24:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Globibahn

Quote from: mika on March 16, 2022, 11:52:31 AM
Thanks, Matt.
Neustadt is very quiet traffic-wise...

The train you photographed is interesting, though. It seems to be in 3-Löwen-Takt vinyls from Baden-Württemberg, quite a distance from Saxony...

Best,
Michael

Yes you are right. These must have gone astray somehow! :D These units seem to appear regularly. 

Globibahn

I had my first proper visit to Dresden yesterday and got to meet my friend Hannah who showed me about the place. I'm impressed, it has nice meadows by the Elbe, which must be great for chilling out in the summer.

I caught the mid-morning train from Neustadt Sachs to Pirna along the little branch line - I had the whole DMU almost to myself (reassuringly however, the train was very busy with college students on the way back in the evening).

At Pirna I transferred onto the much more principal route to take me to Dresden Neustadt. It is about 6 tracks wide and there are CD Intercity trains to be seen.

Meeting with Hannah

The main square

Reminders of the DDR period

swisstrains

...........Now that's one happy looking Matty. :claphappy: Good to see.

Globibahn

Quote from: swisstrains on March 18, 2022, 09:01:10 AM
...........Now that's one happy looking Matty. :claphappy: Good to see.

Cheers John, I am indeed! :beers:

Globibahn

On my morning walk this morning, there was a DMU stabled away from the platforms. Good photo opportunity! @ntpntpntp

Globibahn

A little excursion to Burg Stolpen castle today. Nice and bright sunshine but very cold - still not many signs of spring here out east.

This evening we had a small fire in the garden and drank Glühwein.

joe cassidy

Sorry, but I'm trying to fight off flashbacks of "the Singing Ringing Tree"  :)

Globibahn

Quote from: joe cassidy on March 21, 2022, 01:21:01 PM
Sorry, but I'm trying to fight off flashbacks of "the Singing Ringing Tree"  :)

Excellent, I did not know of this film :beers: - I will have to mention it to my hosts, I am sure they will know of it!

weave

Hi Matt,

Never heard of it either but just saw a trailer. Didn't see a castle but there's a beautiful princess and a prince who's changed into a bear. Not sure where Joe's going with that  :hmmm:  :D

Anyway, enjoying your pics of abroad, haven't been to Europe for far too many years now and missing the trains and scenery.

Glad you're having fun.

Cheers, weave  :beers:

joe cassidy

"The Singing Ringing Tree" was the DDR's biggest cultural export.

I think it was the castle walls and the weird looking mouse that brought back the memories.

Dave_K

Heck, somehow I completely missed the start of your adventures Matt, but I am now up-to-date! Great reporting back and photos - I'm longing to get out and travel.

Booked my week for Switzerland in May. (unfortunately I booked it before I knew of the 175 Swiss railways celebrations happening later in May  ::).)

Globibahn

Quote from: Dave_K on March 21, 2022, 09:20:10 PM
Heck, somehow I completely missed the start of your adventures Matt, but I am now up-to-date! Great reporting back and photos - I'm longing to get out and travel.

Booked my week for Switzerland in May. (unfortunately I booked it before I knew of the 175 Swiss railways celebrations happening later in May  ::).)

Cheers Dave, was wondering where you had got to! ;D

Excellent idea to have a Swiss trip - enjoy! :beers:

Globibahn

Was warm and sunny today so time for another trip to Dresden.

Checked out the Hauptbahnhof, very impressive. It's a mix of terminus on the ground level with two multi-track overhead through-routes (one to each side of the lower terminus).

Was pleased to find some track-laying activity going on down at the terminus level.

The city is exceptionally clean, tidy and well-maintained. I ate a gigantic ice cream for lunch!

Globibahn

Had a morning free, so popped down to nearby town of Pirna. It is nicely situated on the Elbe, not far from Dresden and has an attractive old town centre.

This is not a history thread, however it has to be mentioned Pirna has a tragic history relating back to WW2, when thousands of innocent people were 'euthanised' by the NS regime in the castle/ hospital above the town.

Pirna station has mainly S-Bahn traffic with freight trains and the Prague Eurocity zooms through here too. On the way home I sat in one of the newly refurbished VVO DMUs with Wifi for the first time, they are gradually working on updating all the units on the Neustadt Sachs - Pirna route.

Jim Easterbrook

In 2011 my partner and I stayed in Stadt Wehlen, the next town along the river, for a few nights. Did a nice day's walk from Stadt Wehlen up to the Bastei, down to Rathen, across the river on the ferry, up over the Rauenstein, then down to the river in Stadt Wehlen and back across the ferry.

Totally unrealistic scenery that would never pass muster as a model.

The Bastei, Sächsische Schweiz, Germany. by Jim Easterbrook, on Flickr
Jim Easterbrook
"I'm an engineer, not an artist!"
"Amoro, emptio, utiliso!"
Personal website. / Photos on Flickr. / Blog.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations