The Adventures of Globibahn

Started by Globibahn, January 17, 2021, 09:24:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Globibahn

Quote from: Jim Easterbrook on March 06, 2022, 10:01:16 PM

I like the idea of night trains, but I hate the thought of missing all the views from the window as you travel through the night.

This is actually a good point Jim. An ideal trip would be more than 2 days and contain a mix of both sleeper and day trains - so you get the excitement of sleeping on a train alongside some good scenic viewing.

Globibahn

Quote from: mika on March 06, 2022, 12:23:39 PM
The Frankfurt-Dresden ICE will probably be routed via the HS line between Erfurt and Leipzig.

Ah I was wondering. I will be interested to experience the Brussels - Frankfurt stretch too. I believe there are LGV type lines in Belgium, will have to research that - or just be surprised on the day!

Globibahn

Well the day has finally come, I'm heading off!

Belgian passenger locator form complete (none required for Germany), packing completed all set now :claphappy:. And the weather looks nice too!  :beers:

weave

:claphappy: BON VOYAGE!!!

Have a great trip and a great time there  :thumbsup:

Cheers, weave  :beers:

Bealman

Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

swisstrains

Bon Voyage Matt and don't forget to keep in touch.  :thumbsup:

Globibahn

Thank you all for your well wishes - I feel I am taking you all along with me! :angel: :thumbsup:

mika

Great to hear, Matt.

Bon voyage!
Goede reis!
Gute Reise!

Best,
Michael

Jim Easterbrook

Quote from: Globibahn on March 08, 2022, 08:53:56 AM
Thank you all for your well wishes - I feel I am taking you all along with me! :angel: :thumbsup:

I hope we will receive sufficient reports of your progress to feel we are all with you.
Jim Easterbrook
"I'm an engineer, not an artist!"
"Amoro, emptio, utiliso!"
Personal website. / Photos on Flickr. / Blog.

joe cassidy

I hope they have Marks & Spencers where you're going.

They pulled out France (for the second time) last year.

Globibahn

Just waiting in Eurostar departures this morning. Here is a pic of St Pancras yesterday eening, always quite a sight!

Globibahn

And Kings Cross. My hostel was very nearby. I even managed to sleep a bit, excitement kept me waking up though!

Globibahn

Quote from: joe cassidy on March 08, 2022, 08:57:57 PM
I hope they have Marks & Spencers where you're going.

They pulled out France (for the second time) last year.

Oh dear! I will let you know!

Globibahn

Well, an eventful day of travel. I made it to Frankfurt! I feel rather digital nomad-like typing this in my hostel, located in the extremely dodgy area (that is not an over-statement) by the Station. I had a bit of a panic when I realised the hostel I stayed in a few years ago has actually shut and I had booked a different one (which turned out to be close by) by mistake. I hate looking lost with baggage at night in such places. The hostel is very cosy though so all turned out well.

Had a bright and early start on the 9:01 Eurostar to Brussels. Then a 2 hour or so stopover at Brussels Midi station. I am laden like a pack animal so no chance of going exploring. Brussels Midi a bit meh IMO and the literally non-stop station announcements nearly drove me mad. Anyhow caught my ICE for a 3 hour journey via Köln and here I am! Well and truly pooped TBH.

Although I have still yet to travel on one, here is a Thalys I spotted at Brussels Midi.

NScaleNotes

Quote from: Globibahn on March 09, 2022, 07:51:17 PM
I feel rather digital nomad-like typing this in my hostel, located in the extremely dodgy area (that is not an over-statement) by the Station.  I had a bit of a panic when I realised the hostel I stayed in a few years ago has actually shut and I had booked a different one (which turned out to be close by) by mistake. I hate looking lost with baggage at night in such places. The hostel is very cosy though so all turned out well.

Think I can guess roughly where you might be; that's quite a mix of 'shops' there :-\
Part of the experience I guess and you've got a funny story to tell now; anyway enjoy the rest of your trip.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations