Exhibitions

Started by texhorse, August 23, 2015, 08:29:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

petercharlesfagg

Interesting.

The first time I attended TINGS I was on my own, not knowing anyone from the forum or "N" gauge for that matter.

Now I look forward to the show because I get to meet up with other like minded individuals. especially those from the forum!

If it weren't for that feedback, the pleasure of shaking hands with friends, I doubt if I would attend every year.

Since my interest is across the (base)board there is always something hold my attention but it is the people that are my main interest.

Peter.
Each can do but little, BUT if each did that little, ALL would be done!

Life is like a new sewer pipe, what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!

A day without laughter is a day wasted!

Calnefoxile

Ok my 2-penneth worth here, as far as layouts are concerned, yes I'm quite narrow visioned when it comes to looking at the lists if what is going to attend, but if I decide to go to the show, then I will look at pretty much all the layouts there. I have been equally enthused by an Steam era layout as I have about a BR Blue 1970-1980's era layout, and I have been known to operate an ultra modern era layout as well.

From the other side, as a Club Chairman, don't forget that a lot of these Exhibitions are also a means to generate funds for the Local Club, which will enable them to survive, have a roof over their heads and build Club layouts.

Regards

Neal
Chairman
BMRG

Vonzack

I've been to a fair few shows over the last few years and I think the main thing that disappoints me is when you have a cracking layout with nothing running on it.

Having said that, I'll be at TINGS with Heworth Sidings (modern image DCC), so I might be on the wrong end of this thread in a couple of weeks  :D

Cheers, Mark.

MalcolmInN

Quote from: Calnefoxile on August 24, 2015, 12:24:07 PMFrom the other side, as a Club Chairman, don't forget that a lot of these Exhibitions are also a means to generate funds for the Local Club, which will enable them to survive, have a roof over their heads and build Club layouts.
:thumbsup:
which is why I always pay "Adult" and dont claim my concession (aka 2nd Childhood) cos it's all in a good cause.

my thruppenceworth, why do exhibitions always start at the crack of dawn and close so early in the day !

texhorse

Well, mission accomplished; I got you guys debating on the exhibitions (I didn't see the other thread about the layout standards being too high).  I think you can get plenty of feedback on a layout in ten seconds.  Are trains moving?  Is the scenery rough and ready?  Are they the usual buildings you can buy in a store?

You could say the same thing if you went to an art gallery.  Could you look at a painting and see within ten seconds whether it holds your attention?  Of course you can. 

Maybe if I were to give them a fair chance, maybe I should give them another 20 or 30 seconds.  Fair comment.  But I believe that I can pick out a well constructed, well finished layout over a poorly constructed one.  I went to an exhibition in the West Midlands recently.  I won't embarrass them by stating which one.  There were 19 advertised layouts.  Three of them for one reason or another had not been able to attend.  Not the manager's fault, and he had tried to find replacements.

The replacements including a glorified train set, and a Thomas starter set.

In another room, one of the advertised layouts had problems.  This was established by the fifty-something guy waving a soldering iron over his layout, telling his mate it was "that bl**ding point again" while kids were watching.

Of the other layouts nothing was particularly standing out.  I did spend a couple of minutes (almost a lifetime for me, I hear the cynics among you saying!) by an N Gauge depot layout.  The owner had gone to a lot of trouble of laying the track nicely, detailing the scenery well and having a nice selection of locos.  Unfortunately, one of the points right in the middle of the layout had decided to go pop, and he was also waving a soldering iron in the general direction of the point.

This is just one show I've been to.  Now I hope exhibitions do continue to be put on for us all.  I'm not that ungrateful, despite how I may sound.  I just think they need to be for all levels of modellers.  And before I get lumped in with the "rivet counters", I don't feel that level of correctness is good for the hobby either, in my opinion.

I can't quite put my finger on it, but there's something missing every time I visit an exhibition.  If you are happy with your visit, then GREAT!  I'm glad.

Finally, one of you guys asked for a video of my layout so you could look at it for ten seconds and then judge it.  Go ahead.  You can go onto Youtube, and search for "Montrose and Highland Railroad".  I am the first to admit my layout isn't perfect either.  But it's a darn sight better than some of the offerings I have seen at exhibitions over the last two or three years.

OK, fire away!

Andy
Montrose and Highland Railroad
"Gotta Keep Movin' On!"

CarriageShed

Quote from: Vonzack on August 24, 2015, 02:44:06 PM
I've been to a fair few shows over the last few years and I think the main thing that disappoints me is when you have a cracking layout with nothing running on it.

In defence of at least some layout operators and with the limited experience of having operated a pretty busy layout myself at a few shows recently, the average show lasts for around six hours. Having crawled out of bed before seven am on a Saturday morning to get to the venue and set up, keeping everything active and busy for the entire six hours is virtually impossible. At some point tiredness alone takes a bite out of your operating abilities, and marshalling fresh stock or curing the odd problem also causes things to seize up. What we do, though, is work hard to keep a train ready to dart into view whenever it looks like we'll have an audience, or keep something crawling through at super slow speed if people are just drifting around without settling, and by the end of the show, we know we've done a good job. The comments and conversations along the way show that, and so does the feeling of 'phew! we've done it!'  ;)

Agrippa

Quote from: texhorse on August 24, 2015, 03:28:09 PM
I went to an exhibition in the West Midlands recently.  I won't embarrass them by stating which one.  There were 19 advertised layouts.  Three of them for one reason or another had not been able to attend.  Not the manager's fault, and he had tried to find replacements.

Name them and shame them! You paid out good money and weren't impressed
by the show, if you get a bad burger from McD or the Colonel you'd complain
so fire away!  :D
Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

bridgiesimon

Totally agree Pete, it can be a very long day when exhibiting, I have had moments on my small exhibition layout when someone walks up as one train leaves and they have wandered off before the next train enters the layout, only a few seconds as I swap the cassettes around, really frustrating as there is lots to look out on my layout but they pay their money, they takes their choice. Sounds like in some cases it is a no win situation, damned if you do damned if you dont!

At least with the shows you mention, most people enjoyed watching Bridgbury Gate and how we operated so we must have been doing something right Pete!

Best wishes
Simon

ScottyStitch

Quote from: texhorse on August 24, 2015, 03:28:09 PM
I think you can get plenty of feedback on a layout in ten seconds.  Are trains moving?  Is the scenery rough and ready?  Are they the usual buildings you can buy in a store?

Maybe if I were to give them a fair chance, maybe I should give them another 20 or 30 seconds.  Fair comment.  But I believe that I can pick out a well constructed, well finished layout over a poorly constructed one. 

In fairness, , I have seen many many well constructed layouts that look very realistic, only for the operation to let them down. e.g. no trains running, no trains (at all) stopping at a station, instant stop and instant start at stations/signals, scale speeds far too high, points incorrectly set before moving off (consistently), ridiculously tight radii in the scenic area, etc, to name but a handful. So the quality of the modelling should not be the only yardstick by which layouts should be judged, in my opinion.

I think I'd rather see a well run layout, of mediocre quality, than a beautifully crafted reconstruction, where the operators don't do it justice by their operation.

Vonzack

Quote from: Vonzack on August 24, 2015, 02:44:06 PM

Agreed Pete33, but I had in mind the layouts where people are in front waiting for a minute or two and nothing is running. Generally as I'm going round a show, if I see a layout like this, I make a point to come back later and see if it was a one off or not.

Cheers, Mark.

CarriageShed

Quote from: bridgiesimon on August 25, 2015, 12:02:09 PM
I have had moments on my small exhibition layout when someone walks up as one train leaves and they have wandered off before the next train enters the layout, only a few seconds...

Yes! That even happens on Bridgebury Gate. You can only get a fresh train around to the visual area so quickly, but some people walk off as soon as they see no action. Sometime you can't win.

Quote from: ScottyStitch on August 25, 2015, 12:14:03 PM
...I have seen many many well constructed layouts that look very realistic, only for the operation to let them down. e.g. no trains running, no trains (at all) stopping at a station, instant stop and instant start at stations/signals, scale speeds far too high, points incorrectly set before moving off (consistently)...

Thank goodness you added 'consistently' to the point about incorrectly set points (no pun intended). You wouldn't believe how easy it can be to forget the points during a full day of operations. Not that I'd know anything about that...  :-[

ScottyStitch

Quote from: Pete33 on August 25, 2015, 01:27:47 PM
Quote from: bridgiesimon on August 25, 2015, 12:02:09 PM
I have had moments on my small exhibition layout when someone walks up as one train leaves and they have wandered off before the next train enters the layout, only a few seconds...

Yes! That even happens on Bridgebury Gate. You can only get a fresh train around to the visual area so quickly, but some people walk off as soon as they see no action. Sometime you can't win.

...I have seen many many well constructed layouts that look very realistic, only for the operation to let them down. e.g. no trains running, no trains (at all) stopping at a station, instant stop and instant start at stations/signals, scale speeds far too high, points incorrectly set before moving off (consistently)...

Thank goodness you added 'consistently' to the point about incorrectly set points (no pun intended). You wouldn't believe how easy it can be to forget the points during a full day of operations. Not that I'd know anything about that...  :-[

Absolutely Pete, mistakes and distractions happen, but when it happens all the time, I think it shows a lack of understanding of how the thing operates. A real train wouldn't move without the correct route being set, so why should models? It's as much a part of it as the scenery, to my mind.

Calnefoxile

Quote from: Pete33 on August 25, 2015, 01:27:47 PM

Yes normally followed by the distant rumblings of "Oh Ballcocks" or something similar, as the train is hurriedly reversed and points changed before moving off again, been there, done that, worn the t-shirt (or should that be Polo shirt)  ;) ;) ;)

Regards

Neal.

D1042 Western Princess

I think I'd rather see a well run layout, of mediocre quality, than a beautifully crafted reconstruction, where the operators don't do it justice by their operation.

Seconded - well put Scotty.
If it's not a Diesel Hydraulic then it's not a real locomotive.

Komata

Gentlemen

So far this is a fascinating thread, and seems to prove that Lincoln's dictum about 'pleasing all of the people' is correct.
Unfortunately we all have our own perceptions about what a layout 'should' contain and judge what we see based on those perceptions.  Equally unfortunately, there will never be a layout (except our own; and even then, not always that one either) which will meet these expectations, yet we go to exhibitions anyway  and when these expectations are not met (indeed, they never can be) complain bitterly about how poor the layouts (and, by inference, the entire exhibition) was. Perhaps a change of perception is needed, together with a degree of appreciation as to what is being presented.  If however, such things are not possible, might I suggest that the only way left is to construct and exhibit one's own layout to the standards that no-one else can reach, since by so-doing, one is  putting the action to the words (or one's money where one's mouth is). To do otherwise would seem to leave one with not a leg to stand on...

Being an 'armchair critic' is easy, doing something about it is hard.

Perhaps we need to ask ourselves which of these categories we come under, and act accordingly...

"TVR - Serving the Northern Taranaki . . . "

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £30.67
Below Goal: £69.33
Site Currency: GBP
31% 
May Donations