Oxford Diecast - 2013 Toyfair announcements

Started by woodbury22uk, January 24, 2013, 05:37:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mr bachmann

Quote from: johnlambert on March 04, 2014, 08:33:44 PM
Quote from: mr bachmann on March 04, 2014, 03:33:18 PM
some tri-cycles would be nice , theres a Robin Reliant van  in 00 , hows about one in N ?

A 'plas' and a Robin would suit late 60's/70's layouts.

alan

Forgive me but this is a pet peeve, it is a Reilant Robin not a Robin Reliant.  :beers:

Anyway, as you were.

please explain the differance regarding the Robin reliants ,
thank you

alan

johnlambert

Convention is that cars are identified first by make then by model.  Since Reliant is the manufacturer and the model is the Robin it just sounds wrong (to me, but I know I'm not alone in this) to see people refer to Robin Reliants. No one would refer to a Golf Volkswagen.

The logic even holds for some locomotives; think how odd it would be to call what became the class 47 a "Type 4 Brush".

I know I'm being un-necessarily picky, I just like to see the correct names used for things. But it doesn't matter, if you say Robin Reliant it is perfectly clear what you're talking about.

ParkeNd

Quote from: johnlambert on March 04, 2014, 09:10:40 PM
Convention is that cars are identified first by make then by model.  Since Reliant is the manufacturer and the model is the Robin it just sounds wrong (to me, but I know I'm not alone in this) to see people refer to Robin Reliants. No one would refer to a Golf Volkswagen.

The logic even holds for some locomotives; think how odd it would be to call what became the class 47 a "Type 4 Brush".

I know I'm being un-necessarily picky, I just like to see the correct names used for things. But it doesn't matter, if you say Robin Reliant it is perfectly clear what you're talking about.

The same holds true for me about shortening the names of cars. As an ex Rolls Royce employee I can say that everyone at Crewe was very careful to call the cars Royce's. Rolls was just a darned salesman - and then not for very long!

Agrippa

I always called a RR a roller. With regards to Reliant Robins I don't remember that many of them years ago and I'm an old git. I recall the Scimitar which had  a 3 litre Ford engine I think. Now for 40/50s layouts how about a Trojan van
which had solid tyres.
Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

ParkeNd

Quote from: Agrippa on March 04, 2014, 11:45:21 PM
I always called a RR a roller.

Which qualifies you as a fully paid up Philistine.

javlinfaw7

Please its not a reliant robin or a robin reliant it is a reliant regal supervan you would not call a rr silvershadow a silvercloud.

ParkeNd

Quote from: javlinfaw7 on March 05, 2014, 12:06:27 AM
Please its not a reliant robin or a robin reliant it is a reliant regal supervan you would not call a rr silvershadow a silvercloud.

But you might call it an SY270

javlinfaw7

Agrippa  would love a trojan but would the chimps be extra? ???

mr bachmann

thank you guys for the detailed descriptions of the Reliant Motor Co;s products , its worth a mention that from 1953 untill the early 1970's they where all Regals - exept the short lived Regent 4 wheeler , then along came the 750 Robin to be superseeded by the 850 Robin , untill the Rialto was announced , then this was updated to the Rialto 2(with higher gear back axle) , next on the list was the slow to arrive Robin LX - now the goverment wanted a production model for crash testing , but with slow builds the company lost sales and the future was grim ...
its worth a mention that in beween the threewheeler production there was also the Fox , Kitten , Saber and Simiter 4 wheel models , O' not forgetting the Bond Bug , only the first few where built at Preston - but thats another story .

sorry for going 'off' topic .

alan (plas owner)

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £30.67
Below Goal: £69.33
Site Currency: GBP
31% 
May Donations