Slow Forum Performance

Started by Tank, August 20, 2020, 10:53:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Hello all,

I'm very sorry that for the last couple of months that there have been certain times that the forum has been very slow.  We had a problem before where we decided to change servers and saw a big increase in speed.  However, we are seeing a HUGE number of 'bots' coming from places such as Russia and China causing problems for us.

We are hoping to limit their access to the server and the site, and hope that genuine members won't be blocked from accessing the forum.  This is being worked on this afternoon.

Thanks for your patience with this.
Tank.

lil chris

I had noticed recently, thanks Tank for the information, at least I know it's not my end.
Lil Chris
My new layout  East Lancashire Railway
My old layout was Irwell Valley Railway.
Layout previous was East Lancashire Lines, changed this new one. My new layout here.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=57193.0

guest311

I just assumed it was because the forum was so popular

Tank

Popular with the wrong kind sadly.....!

Dr Al

Is there a Russian outline model rail scene?  :D :D

Seriously, I would say that I've not noticed any great issue on forum speed to date, but if the nasties can be kept out, then it's a thumbs up from me.  :thumbsup:

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

RBTKraisee

We appreciate the time and effort you guys put in for us!

:thankyousign:

Seen something similar elsewhere and if you have to resort to blocking whole countries or IP blocks, make sure there is an easy way for legit users to contact you to regain access.  Might even be worth sending out an email to all users to let them know what to do if they get caught up in it.

Ross.
"The meek shall inherit the Earth. The rest of us are going to the stars" -Robert Heinlein
An Ex-Pat Brit:  Two decades living in Florida and still an unhealthy shade of "British Tourist White"

Steam Locomotive Wheel Dimensions: https://www.shorturl.at/xAEKW

All my available products are listed in the first post in my workbench thread.

Invicta Alec

Thanks for the update!

Good luck Tank and team! We all appreciate your efforts.

Alec.
You can't beat a nice drop of Southern.

Lawrence

@Tank  certainly seems a heck of a lot quicker now chap, whatever is being done seems to be working, for me at least :thumbsup:

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations