Locomotive Auction for ForumFunds

Started by Train Waiting, July 24, 2023, 11:02:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newportnobby

Maybe John would like it to be of benefit to a forum member rather than any old Tom, Dick or Harry.
I'll look pretty stupid if a forum member called Harry buys it :uneasy:

Train Waiting

Hello Chums

Thank you very much indeed to the wonderful members of our FabulousForum who have bid £60.00 for D211 Mauretania.  By arrangement with the BR authorities, I managed to photograph the locomotive at Silliness station, terminus of the branch line from Tableford.

I'm in deep trouble when the Area Civil Engineer finds out the 133 ton 1Co-Co1 put a bogie on the 'bridge to nowhere'.  In the background, a GER 0-6-0T can be seen at Ellis End level crossing on the Poppyshire & Sillyshire Railway - a privately preserved line from Bobbington to its terminus at Sillybury (local pronounciation - 'Sillybilly'.  Hopefully, more on this steamy affair shortly on my Poppingham layout thread.

Poppy and I now invite bids of £65.00 for the EE 'Type 4'.

Post free to a UK address - the entire winning bid will go to ForumFunds.

Quote from: njee20 on July 29, 2023, 09:00:09 PMIs there a timeline on this? Why not sell it on eBay and simply donate the funds to the forum? Is that too capitalist of me?!

Thank you very much @njee20 for those three helpful questions.  I'm glad to answer as follows:

1.) There is no time limit on the auction which will end when Poppy and I sell the locomotive to the highest bidder.  We are taking bids in £5.00 increments and allow a day between each post as some people might log in once a day or live in a different time zone to us, here between the Forth and the Tweed.  The longer the auction lasts - the better!

b.) Poppy and I have three objectives for this auction.  The first is to provide some dosh for ForumFunds.  The second, as Mick mentioned, is for this surplus locomotive to go to a member of the NGF.  The third, and we think most important, is to help raise awareness that @Tank has spent around £1,100, as he says, a 'scary' sum, so that we can enjoy ourselves reading and writing about tiny trains.  We hope this thread about the auction, and the 'views' it generates, might encourage others, who are able, to make a personal contribution to our FabulousForum.

iii.)  Absolutely not.

Thanks again for your questions.

'N' Gauge is Such Fun!

Many thanks for looking, all best wishes and happy bidding!

Toodle-pip

John and Poppy

Please visit us at www.poppingham.com

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Newportnobby

If Typhoo put the 'T' in 'Britain', who put the 'e' in 'Frodo'?
Signed
JRR Tolkein

Bealman

Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Yet_Another

Hi @Train Waiting, have you seen my PM from yesterday afternoon?
Tony

'...things are not done by those who sit down to count the cost of every thought and act.' - Sir Daniel Gooch of IKB

Train Waiting

Hello Chums

Poppy here again!  John's busy this morning... searching for the 'Hoveringham' Foden lorry for our SuperSilly Train Set layout.

Thank you very much indeed for the bids of £65.00 for the English Electric 'Type 4' 2000hp 1Co-Co1 diesel electric locomotive.
We are now inviting bids of £70.00 for this marvellous model.  Post free to a UK address, we pay the postage, which means the entire winning bid will go to ForumFunds.

'N' Gauge is Such Fun!

Cheerie-bye

Poppy and John

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Train Waiting

Hello Chums

Thank you so much for the bids of £70.00 for D211, Mauretania.  The recent upgrade for our FabulousForum was an expensive affair (but well worth it) and it is good to be able to raise some funds to help pay the big bills.

Poppy and I are glad to invite bids of £75.00 for this marvellous model.

It's post free to a UK address, which means the entire winning bid will go to ForumFunds.

'N' Gauge is Such Fun!

Pip-pip

John and Poppy (currently asleep on a bed as it is wet outside)

Train Waiting

Hello Chums

Poppy and I have a bid of £75.00 for the nice EE 'Type 4' 1Co-Co1, No. D211 Mauretania.  We are now glad to invite any bids of £80.00.

Post free to a UK address and the entire winning bid will go to ForumFunds.

'N' Gauge is Such Fun!

Cheerie-bye

John and Poppy

Train Waiting

Hello Chums

Poppy and I have received a bid of £80.00 for the delectable diesel, No. D211 Mauretania.  We are now glad to invite any bids of £85.00.

Post free to a UK address which means the entire winning bid will go to ForumFunds.

'N' Gauge is Such Fun!

Tickety-tonk

John and Poppy

RBTKraisee

Oooh, this sounds like someone might soon offer a magic triple digit figure... :laugh3:  :claphappy:  :laugh:  :beers:

I sadly don't have the available sheckles to continue bidding myself, but I'm watching this with bated breath...

Ross.
"The meek shall inherit the Earth. The rest of us are going to the stars" -Robert Heinlein
An Ex-Pat Brit:  Two decades living in Florida and still an unhealthy shade of "British Tourist White"

Steam Locomotive Wheel Dimensions: https://www.shorturl.at/xAEKW

All my available products are listed in the first post in my workbench thread.

Train Waiting

Hello Chums

Are we all done?  The bidding for the 'Type 4' has reached £80.00 and it looks like Poppy and I are selling at that.  Unless a bid of £85.00 is notified to us by personal message to me or by posting on this thread.

The locomotive is post free to a UK address which means the entire winning bid will go to ForumFunds.

'N' Gauge is Such Fun!

Many thanks for looking and all best wishes.

Pip-pip

John and Poppy

Bealman

Yes, it is. I'd love it, but the postage to Australia ain't peanuts.

Lovely locomotive, though.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Train Waiting

Hello Chums

Poppy is looking particularly pleased as the number of 'views' of our auction has now passed 6,000.  The thread's main purpose is to help raise awareness that @Tank spent around £1,100 on the recent engineering work to make our FabulousForum even better; hopefully this will lead to personal donations. Thank you so much to everyone who has taken the time to look at the thread.

A secondary purpose of the thread is to raise some money!  Thank you very much for the £85.00 bids for the EE 'Type 4' 1Co-Co1 locomotive - these are hugely appreciated.  Which means Poppy and I have very much pleasure in inviting bids of £90.00 by either a personal message to me or by posting on this thread.

As you are probably aware, the locomotive is post free to a UK address, which means the entire winning bid will go to ForumFunds.

'N' Gauge is Such Fun!

Many thanks for looking, all best wishes and happy bidding.

Tickety-tonk

John and Poppy

PS The illustration you can partially see behind Poppy in the picturingham is of an old 'coarse scale' '0' gauge layout that was featured, many years ago, in a Model Railway Constructor annual.  This layout was hugely inspirational for Poppy and I as we developed our old-fashioned style, coarse modelling, semi-scenic, 'train-setty' approach to making the 'Table-Top Railway'.

You might notice how shiny the LNER locomotives, an ex-GCR 'Director' and an ex-GNR 'Large Atlantic' are.  We attempt to replicate this 'anti-weathering' (could, arguably, be ante-weathering as well!) appearance by applying lots 'n' lots of 'Mr Sheen' to our lovely Union Mills locomotives.

Train Waiting

Hello Chums

Poppy says, "Thank you very much for all your kind 'reactions' to our previous post!"

We have good newsingtons to report to-day ... a beautiful bid of £90.00 for the EE 'Type Four'.  Isn't that totally tickety-boo?!

Therefore, Poppy and I are glad to invite any bids of £95.00 by either a personal message to me or by posting on this thread.

As we are sure you know by now, the locomotive is post free to a UK address, which means the entire winning bid will go to ForumFunds to help pay for the super-expensive engineering work to make our FantasticForum even better.

'N' Gauge is Such Fun!

Many thanks for looking, all best wishes and happy bidding.

Toodle-oo

John and Poppy

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations