Getting tagged, incorrectly

Started by Malc, June 25, 2023, 04:27:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malc-c

@Bealman  - If the Admin team can rename my account then that's fine.  But as it stands it appears the only way of changing the user name is to create a new account, which I am not willing to do as access to my PMs etc would be lost and not ported to the new account.   I also use the same username for other forums (without issue) so people with similar interests soon pick up that its the same person.
Malcolm

_______________________________________________________________________________________
Visit my Shapeway Shop here -  https://www.shapeways.com/shops/3dmr-designs

Bealman

Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Malc

Quote from: Bealman on June 26, 2023, 10:40:21 AM
I'm not trying to be insensitive or callous here, but if either you or Malc change your callsigns, it'll be fixed.
Until someone else comes along with a hyphenated name?
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

njee20

I'm not trying to be insensitive or callous here, but if either you or Malc change your callsigns, it'll be fixed.

You've moved on from saying it's definitely not an issue and blaming users, to now saying a piece of sellotape fixes everything here? It's still an issue, which should be fixed, as misdirecting PM's is actually pretty bad from a security perspective.

Yet_Another

Quote from: njee20 on June 26, 2023, 12:20:03 PM

You've moved on from saying it's definitely not an issue and blaming users, to now saying a piece of sellotape fixes everything here? It's still an issue, which should be fixed, as misdirecting PM's is actually pretty bad from a security perspective.
Agree. Just changing a user name is a work-around, not a fix. The vulnerability remains.
Tony

'...things are not done by those who sit down to count the cost of every thought and act.' - Sir Daniel Gooch of IKB

Bealman

Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Tank

Hello,

From what I have gathered, it's users selecting the wrong username when selecting the member to write to.  The forum wouldn't choose to omit a character, and select a username that almost matches.  I'm certain that it's user error.

So, as some have rightly said, we can eliminate this by changing one of the usernames, or educating 9000 members on being more vigilant.   ;) ;D 

Changing a username wouldn't involve losing your account, PM's or photos.

If it's just a handful of people that have messaged by mistake, I would reply and explain what seems to have happened.  I can't imagine that there are a great deal of messages, or users that have done it, so an explanation will make them be more careful.  Easily done by the look of it.  This would be my first action if it were me.

ntpntpntp

@Tank  that's not the impression I got from reading the thread. 

Didn't Malc did say he'd looked at the posts where the name was tagged and they showed Malc-c yet he received the notification, thus implying the tagging notification mechanism wasn't reading the full user name correctly from the post content? 

@Malc do we have screenshot evidence of this?
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

ntpntpntp

Simple to test?   If I tag @malc-c    here let's see who gets the notification?
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

njee20

I wonder if it's people realising it after posting, and correcting in retrospect, which would give the illusion of the other Malc being tagged. Which I presume works.

Malc-c

Quote from: ntpntpntp on June 26, 2023, 03:22:46 PM

Hello,

You were tagged in Re: Getting tagged, incorrectly by ntpntpntp

I also received the e-mail notification
Malcolm

_______________________________________________________________________________________
Visit my Shapeway Shop here -  https://www.shapeways.com/shops/3dmr-designs

Malc

The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

ntpntpntp

So there we go, confirmed it's a software problem rather than user error  (tags being corrected later notwithstanding)

Tank

Well, I'm very surprised, but happy to be proven wrong.  :D

I'm organising a full upgrade of the forum for the end of the summer, and this feature will be removed for some time.  Once reinstalled I'll work you you both to see if it still happens, or if the developer needs to be involved.

Thanks all.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £70.23
Below Goal: £29.77
Site Currency: GBP
70% 
April Donations