Slow loading of forum

Started by GAD, March 05, 2022, 01:18:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Railwaygun

I'm happy to chip in - I'm sure we need a reboot!
Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done and what I had toiled to achieve, everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind;
Ecclesiastes 2:11

This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!

https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

NGF Military threads

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?board=146.0

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

10mm / N armour Threads
https://www.10mm-wargaming.com/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

geofff

My PC literally blew up - smoke and a flash; the new PC has windows 11 and it now takes 3 attempts to log in to the forum, every time. Is this a Windows problem, am I blocking the forum or is it the Forum software?

Just noticed spell check - I always wondered why I was the only member with spelling mistakes; I would guess that this also relates to my updated PC.

Regards

Geoff

stevewalker

I've recently had a problem at lunchtimes, when using my work computer. It could be a change on the forum or to the company systems, but going to the home page fails and brings up a message about a transport method error. No other site is bringing this up. Going directly to Unread since last visit, allows me access with no problems. This does not seem to be a problem with other sites.

Jeff McGhie

Not sure if its just me but the forum seems to have slowed noticeably again over the last few visits. taking between 3 and 6 seconds to load simple pages with no pictures.

Not nearly as bad as in September last year but thought worth mentioning in case it was the start of larger issues.

port perran

It's a wee bit slow here but not too bad.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

emjaybee

This happens from time to time.

[Note to MODS:  Please feed the hamster!]
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

ShakyZZR

I've been meaning to add my 2p worth to this thread in case it helps with the fault-finding but keep forgetting - d'oh.  :headbutt:

Anyway, I only use my W!0 Enterprise Lappie to view the board so can't advise if I have a problem on any other devices but my issues are (and this is always the case, has been for the last couple of years or so):-

1. The forum is always slow to load for me, roughly between 5 and 10 secs (but has been MUCH longer, sometimes I've given up !) from clicking my Opera Speed Dial link (latest posts) to the post list appearing
2. Navigating between different threads, or pages in threads takes about the same amount of time.
3. Back-Paging or returning to the latest post list also seems to take anything up to 5 secs usually but can be more occasionally.
4. Finally, which I find weird although I don't understand ANYTHING about coding - lol is that the one thing that appears to happen speedily is once I've cherry-picked which posts I want to view, I always mark all as read to clear the list for my next visit, which 99% of the time happens almost immediately  :confused1:

Dunno if that helps at all but just thought I'd put it out there.  :) Still keep coming back for more coz even though I ain't got around to making my own setup yet, some of the threads are very entertaining and informative, well worth a good read.  :thumbsup:

##EDIT## It took almost 20 secs for my original, unedited post to upload if that makes any difference ?
I am Homer of Borg. resistance is............hmmmmm doughnuts.

TrevL

Cheers, Trev.

Time flys like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana!

dannyboy

There have been a few occasions over the last few days when the forum has been slow, but there does not appear to be any pattern. (Win11/Chrome).
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Newportnobby

Having replaced a defunct laptop with a reconditioned one which is lightning quick in comparison, it is showing up how slow the forum is to load. Often when trying to 'rate' a post it just sits there with 'Loading.................' until I give up on it and move on.

Bealman

It took me six or seven goes to get a 'thank you' to register this morning, but that's nowt new. Happens a lot.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

stevewalker

The forum is usually a bit slow for me, but does it matter? It only adds seconds of delay, but the content is well worth waiting for - and we're all in a hobby which is slow paced by its nature.

Papyrus

Quote from: ShakyZZR on February 06, 2023, 10:35:20 PM
The forum is always slow to load for me, roughly between 5 and 10 secs (but has been MUCH longer, sometimes I've given up !) from clicking my Opera Speed Dial link (latest posts) to the post list appearing

It may just be me, but I wouldn't regard 5-10 seconds to load as 'slow'. (I use Opera too.) That is perfectly acceptable to me. Anything over a minute, perhaps, would be a different matter but I can't recall ever having that with the forum. Maybe I am just lucky, or have a particularly good connection, although I'm not on fibre broadband. If you want slow, may I suggest Adobe? It is just awful and takes ages to load a PDF, let alone print one.

Cheers,

Chris

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £75.23
Below Goal: £24.77
Site Currency: GBP
75% 
April Donations