Donations!

Started by Papyrus, January 12, 2019, 04:32:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrism

Quote from: dannyboy on December 18, 2022, 11:42:30 AM
One thing to remember with PayPal donations - if you send it as a payment for goods, the forum, (i.e. Tank), pays the fees, if you send it as a 'Friends and Family' payment, you pay the fees.  As an example, I have just donated £5.00p, so, after conversion, that cost me €5.99 - not a problem. However, PayPal then add on the fee to my bill, so my initial £5.00p, (€5.99c), becomes €7.98c!. 

That's because you're in Euroland and sent 5 UK Pounds to the UK.
If there is no currency conversion, F&F transactions attract no fees, either for the sender or the receiver.

Graham

thanks for all the advice, understand how to do this now.

Jim Easterbrook

Quote from: chrism on December 18, 2022, 12:05:06 PM
Quote from: dannyboy on December 18, 2022, 11:42:30 AM
One thing to remember with PayPal donations - if you send it as a payment for goods, the forum, (i.e. Tank), pays the fees, if you send it as a 'Friends and Family' payment, you pay the fees.  As an example, I have just donated £5.00p, so, after conversion, that cost me €5.99 - not a problem. However, PayPal then add on the fee to my bill, so my initial £5.00p, (€5.99c), becomes €7.98c!. 

That's because you're in Euroland and sent 5 UK Pounds to the UK.
If there is no currency conversion, F&F transactions attract no fees, either for the sender or the receiver.

I don't know if this works the other way round, but when I buy things in a foreign currency I always tell PayPal to charge my credit card in that currency. My credit card provider gives a far better exchange rate than PayPal. (But I realise many credit card providers don't, so check before you decide.)
Jim Easterbrook
"I'm an engineer, not an artist!"
"Amoro, emptio, utiliso!"
Personal website. / Photos on Flickr. / Blog.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations