what are you listening to at the moment?

Started by findus, January 20, 2011, 12:06:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newportnobby

Some good ole Crosby, Stills and Nash including classics like "Suite: Judy Blue Eyes", "Marrakesh Express" and "Long time gone"
Musicianship and harmonies at their best

Bealman

Ah, Marrakesh Express.... their debut song, if I recall?
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Newportnobby

Quote from: Bealman on April 13, 2021, 11:19:39 AM
Ah, Marrakesh Express.... their debut song, if I recall?

It was on their debut album, imaginatively entitle 'Crosby, Stills and Nash'
I do have a 45 with 'Suite:Judy Blue Eyes' and 'Long time gone' on the reverse (or vicky verker :confused2:)

ntpntpntp

One for the shouty metal fans amongst us  :D   

Son-and-heir is the long-haired lefty bass player.  8 strings - that's more than the guitarists   8)

Oh and he's into model railways too of course.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Foxhound

Liverpool's rather extraordinary Revolutionary Army of the Infant Jesus are filling my ears with goodness at the moment;

Rob and Becky (artistic director)

stevewalker

Nothing :( I turned my system on the other day and got silence.

I have tracked it down to the power-amp and as both channels have failed at the same time, I thought that it must be the ECC82 valve that is common to both. Changing that has not helped, so it'll have to wait until the weekend, so I can dig out the details and check voltages at all the test points.

It may be a power rail has gone down, both ECC83s have failed together or the relay that keeps the output off until the valves have had time to warm up. It seems unlikely that 2 or 3 out of 4 of the EL34s in each quad have failed together.

Bealman

Bealman

Not listening either, but reading this for the fourth time, I love it. That drummer is only a couple of years older than me, and I was listening to all that Bowie stuff right through college, so I can identify with most of the anecdotes in the book.

Bowie could obviously be a not very nice person when he chose to be not nice. He sacked the drummer on his wedding day!

stevewalker

Quote from: Bealman on April 14, 2021, 04:18:10 AM
A valve amp? How old must that be?

26 years. I built it from the Velleman K4000 kit (£650 back in 1995 IIRC).

Velleman later superseded it with the K4040. Exactly the same amplifier, but with led bargraphs hidden behind the cover, that could be used for setting the bias trim pots every so often (whereas I have to use a digital meter to set them accurately) and chrome rings to cover the bases of the EL34s.

They were still selling the K4040 until fairly recently I think, but it is now discontinued.

Bealman

Thanks! I didn't realise Velleman was around back then!

stevewalker

ntpntpntp

Yes I certainly had some Velleman kits from Maplin back in the 70s and 80s.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Malc

Not exactly listen, but I have been watching this series about Alan Millyard's 5000cc V twin motorbike.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

grumbeast

A blast from the past for me.. very calming for trying to work from home at 6:30AM

bridgiesimon

A variation going on here -

Hate me by Blue October

Hungerstrike by Temple of the Dog

Also just come across a group, well 2 of them called When Rivers Meet, very Bluesy rocky sort of thing - different from my norm but like it.

Oh and listening to the bloomin carpet washer thingy downstairs cos my wife spilt a load of dirty fish tank water on the floor in the front room yesterday, and before anyone asks yes it stinks!!!

Best wishes
Simon

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations