The Queen's Birthday

Started by N-Gauge-US, April 21, 2016, 01:34:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

N-Gauge-US

In celebration of Her Majesty's 90th Birthday today, the Arden and Felden Railway ran a special exhibition train featuring a former Royal Train Sleeping Coach pulled by 'The City of London.' Spirits were high on the platform in Avondale when it came through:

Check out Avondale - My heritage railway themed layout :)

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29371.0

Newportnobby

I'm pleased to see the bunting is out, Philip. Nice touch :)

N-Gauge-US

Quote from: newportnobby on April 21, 2016, 01:47:25 PM
I'm pleased to see the bunting is out, Philip. Nice touch :)

Thanks for noticing :) That's the second set as the first one broke and then I lost half of it  :dunce:  I thought it was worth the effort though.

nharding99

kirky

Well I'm not  impressed. Not with your railway you understand, all model railways are indeed much more exciting than some old dears birfday party.
I'd be impressed though if she was building a z scale, or even tinier t scale layout - we have a chap who makes occasional appearances at our club who does z and t scales and he is 95. Now that is impressive!
Being 90 is nothing special, all of course IMHO

Cheers
Kirky
Speaking to you from my own little Republic.
Northallerton will make its next public appearance will be at Perth model railway show https://smet.org.uk/show/layouts/
June 24/25 2023.

Layout: Northallerton: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1671.msg16930#msg16930

www.northallertonngauge.co.uk

Cleveland Model Railway club website: www.clevelandmrc.club

N-Gauge-US

Quote from: kirky on April 21, 2016, 10:47:12 PM
Well I'm not  impressed. Not with your railway you understand, all model railways are indeed much more exciting than some old dears birfday party.
I'd be impressed though if she was building a z scale, or even tinier t scale layout - we have a chap who makes occasional appearances at our club who does z and t scales and he is 95. Now that is impressive!

Cheers
Kirky

Was that necessary? I was happy posting a picture celebrating an event and don't feel like it was necessary for you to post criticizing it. I certainly think you are entitled to your opinion, but I don't see the point of your post other than to criticize and to try to dampen my enthusiasm, which I find, frankly, extremely  rude.

-Philip

dannyboy

Quote from: N-Gauge-US on April 22, 2016, 12:38:52 AM
Quote from: kirky on April 21, 2016, 10:47:12 PM

Cheers
Kirky

Was that necessary? I was happy posting a picture celebrating an event and don't feel like it was necessary for you to post criticizing it. I certainly think you are entitled to your opinion, but I don't see the point of your post other than to criticize and to try to dampen my enthusiasm, which I find, frankly, extremely  rude.

-Philip

Well, one is obviously not amused  - or is somebody taking the Royal wee ;)
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

NinOz

Quote from: N-Gauge-US on April 21, 2016, 01:34:11 PM
Spirits were high on the platform in Avondale when it came through:
You sure about that? 
The platform people seem to have a somewhat stiff countenance, hardly any display of emotion.
Perhaps some of that classic British reserve on display. :D
To be called pompous and arrogant - hell of a come down.
I tried so hard to be snobbish and haughty.

| Carpe Jugulum |

Agrippa

Quote from: NinOz on April 22, 2016, 06:20:35 AM
Quote from: N-Gauge-US on April 21, 2016, 01:34:11 PM
Spirits were high on the platform in Avondale when it came through:
You sure about that? 

Maybe they're Aston Villa fans ...... :D
Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

Webbo

QE2 was actually born on 22 April 1926, but the Queens birthday is celebrated on all sorts of different dates depending on weather and proximity to the weekend. Canada's queen's birthday originally celebrated Queen Victoria's birthday on 24 May but the date is adjusted each year to fall on the last Monday before 25 May.

April 18: Saint Helena, Ascension and Tristan da Cunha
April 21: Falkland Islands
May 23: Canada, Belize
June 6: New Zealand
June 11: United Kingdom, Tuvalu
June 13: Most of Australia, Papua New Guinea, Solomon Islands
Sept. 26: Western Australia

Webbo

N-Gauge-US

Quote from: Webbo on April 23, 2016, 04:49:32 AM
QE2 was actually born on 22 April 1926, but the Queens birthday is celebrated on all sorts of different dates depending on weather and proximity to the weekend. Canada's queen's birthday originally celebrated Queen Victoria's birthday on 24 May but the date is adjusted each year to fall on the last Monday before 25 May.

April 18: Saint Helena, Ascension and Tristan da Cunha
April 21: Falkland Islands
May 23: Canada, Belize
June 6: New Zealand
June 11: United Kingdom, Tuvalu
June 13: Most of Australia, Papua New Guinea, Solomon Islands
Sept. 26: Western Australia

Webbo

I think it was the 21st of April, 1926, but that's a little pedantic on my part. And I know weather is why the UK uses June 11, as April is often not the best for planning events in lovely UK weather ;) I didn't realize the other Commomwealth Realms used such a wide selection of dates, though I did assume there was some variance.

Thanks for that, Webbo.

Philip :)

JayM481

In Canada it's known as the "May two-four weekend." A "two-four" being a box of 24 bottles of beer. It being likely the first weekend of decent Spring weather helps. A box of beer and flashing up the BBQ.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations