Outside my Window - that time of year again

Started by Snowwolflair, July 17, 2019, 11:02:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snowwolflair

As the fruit on the crab pear tree outside my window ripens, our annual visit of the Windsor Great Park flock of Green Parrots has arrived to shred the fruit for their seeds.  They are noisy and messy (like most tourists) but they are magnificent specimens and are fun to watch.

Bealman

Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

crewearpley40

That is a lovely photo. Thank you for sharing david

silly moo

We used to get them in the garden when we lived in Africa, they certainly are noisy and entertaining.

Dorsetmike

This is what I get outside my window, it also struts around the patio and stares in the door at me.

Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Bealman

Webbo

I hadn't realised that there were wild parrots living in the UK, but clearly there are.

Here in Canberra we have about 8 species that we see commonly including the King Parrot shown in George's previous post. Another is the Sulphur Crested Cockatoo that makes it into pet shops worldwide. Around here we see flocks of hundreds and they are destructive mongrels chewing the foliage on trees to bits. A nice looking bird with an ugly squawk.

Webbo

Bealman

Yep, bloody awful things. In fact we've stopped putting seed out as they completely take over. I had about 8 of them perched on our balcony railing one morning - eating it!!!!

colpatben

Quote from: Webbo on July 18, 2019, 02:42:38 AM
I hadn't realised that there were wild parrots living in the UK, but clearly there are.

Webbo

But where did they come from and who was responsible, believe this if you want to! :no:

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2019/jun/06/the-great-green-expansion-how-ring-necked-parakeets-took-over-london
We never have problems, only solutions!

Current DCC Project

Involved in Bexhill West to Crowhurst

Now Sold Ensbourne

Colin

Bob G

Quote from: Webbo on July 18, 2019, 02:42:38 AM

IIRC they were hired in to take part in a show filmed at Thames Television at Teddington in the 1980s and somehow escaped.
They've been commuting up and down the Thames Valley ever since. The studio is long closed but the parrots remain.
I last saw them in Maidenhead...

Jon898

Someone didn't like the condition of the A/C unit...clever black vulture!

In fact he was attracted by the smell of a dead snake in the bottom of the unit...

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £35.23
Below Goal: £64.77
Site Currency: GBP
35% 
April Donations