Tablets anyone ?

Started by MalcolmInN, July 30, 2015, 10:20:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MalcolmInN

No, not pills :)

Not sure if this is the right place nor even right forum !
but if anyone wants to take a great leap forward, into the 21st century and the world of tablets, but doesnt fancy the price of iThingies or the unusualness of Androids
Then take a look at Linx 7 and Linx 8 that have your ol' fav. Windows 8.1, both under £100 depending on vendor.
In particular the Linx 7 is back in stock at Staples (I just got one after much delibertion and proding from daughter :) ) and they are very amenable to negotiating a satisfactory deal at less than £80.

Why am I flaging this (with no conxion etc) you may wonder :
well the current stock have a respectable 32Gb of 'HD' space, later to be reduced to 16Gb in line with most other more expensive Windows tablets. (16Gb doesnt leave a lot of room for Windoze 8.1, no idea what the new 10 will require ?? )

Geoff

Well you need to be wary for why they are cheap, my boss bought one a couple of months back and just last week he could not open any of the apps, he has been on a few forums looking for a fix but is unable to find one, it keeps telling him he needs to be administrator, i have looked at his tablet and when you try to get through to user accounts it just does not let you in, for when you press the users app it just takes you back to the home screen, there are quite a lot of people who have the same problem.

He is not sure if it is a virus but for the ammount of other people with the same problem he is thinking it could be a badly written windows update.

I will post if he finds a fix, his Linx tablet goes in to be looked at tomorrow.
Geoff

MalcolmInN

Thanks for the advisory Geoff, I'll keep an eye on it.
at the mo it is going nowhere near the interwebby, not till I see what defaults the win8.1 is set to and what it may (given the chance) say to micro$oft
as I unnerstan it so far it is cheap cos M$ have given win8.1+Bing free to the oems as a counter to the tide of iWhatsits and Androids
(there was an item on the newses just now of independent analysis of M$ market share of 14% and falling, contrary to M$ figures)

Railwaygun

you will get Win 10 for free though.
Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done and what I had toiled to achieve, everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind;
Ecclesiastes 2:11

This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!

https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

NGF Military threads

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?board=146.0

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

10mm / N armour Threads
https://www.10mm-wargaming.com/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

Geoff

Quote from: MalcolmAL on July 30, 2015, 11:30:12 PM
Thanks for the advisory Geoff, I'll keep an eye on it.
)

Just a quick update the Linx Tablet has been fixed this morning, as I suspected he was signed in as a guest and after a certain update it locked the tablet for Administer use only so the computer geek fiddled about and got his account signed over as Administrator.

So you need to make sure you have full Administrator rights before doing any updates or installing any Apps.

Geoff

MikeDunn

Quote from: Railwaygun on July 31, 2015, 02:52:15 AM
Sounds a good reason to stay with the 'Droid  :P

Geoff

Quote from: MikeDunn on July 31, 2015, 08:56:03 AM
Quote from: Railwaygun on July 31, 2015, 02:52:15 AM
Sounds a good reason to stay with the 'Droid  :P

Do not mention Droid tablets, my wife has an ASUS and talk about slow is not in it.
Geoff

MikeDunn

Can't tar them all with the same brush ya know  ;)

While SWMBO's 'droid phone is newer than mine, it's slower.  But it's a phone, big deal.  As long as it makes & takes calls ...  :P

Her Samsung tablet is pretty damn good !  And my Kindle Fire ain't to be sniffed at either ...  Like with all things, you need to look at the whole, not just a cheap price ...

Bealman

Yeah both Mrs Bealman and I have Samsung tablets and they're great. We also have elcheapo Android phones from Aldi and they are great too. I'm actually sitting in the bar of our hotel in Bowral typing this on me phone, so it's working fine!

(Yeah, before any of our Aussie members ask why we would want to spend a few days in the Southern Highlands of NSW where it snows in winter, we're a bit strange that way)  :D
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

MalcolmInN

Quote from: Geoff on July 31, 2015, 08:46:42 AM
Just a quick update the Linx Tablet has been fixed this morning, as I suspected he was signed in as a guest and after a certain update it locked the tablet for Administer use only so the computer geek fiddled about and got his account signed over as Administrator.

So you need to make sure you have full Administrator rights before doing any updates or installing any Apps.
Very interesting Geoff, thanks for that.

Hmmm I wonder what I am signed in as, , ,
this Win8.1 is all new and not like those that have gone before ! :)
Not to mention my fingers are too fat and I think I need new reading glasses !!

goes googling admin >>>

Geoff

Quote from: MalcolmAL on July 31, 2015, 06:08:40 PM
Quote from: Geoff on July 31, 2015, 08:46:42 AM

Very interesting Geoff, thanks for that.

Hmmm I wonder what I am signed in as, , ,
this Win8.1 is all new and not like those that have gone before ! :)
Not to mention my fingers are too fat and I think I need new reading glasses !!

goes googling admin >>>

Instead of using your fingers you can get a dibber stylus from the pound shop.
Geoff

MalcolmInN

Quote from: Geoff on July 31, 2015, 07:55:40 PMInstead of using your fingers you can get a dibber stylus from the pound shop.
Thanks for the tip, no pound shop here but I'll look in my 99p shop as it's parent is now the pound shop :)
also I've been looking at diy ones on the interweb, all I have to do now is remember where I put my conductive foam with my chips in it ;)

The good news is that I've found my Control Panel and I am admin !

MalcolmInN

Quote from: Geoff on July 31, 2015, 07:55:40 PM
Instead of using your fingers you can get a dibber stylus from the pound shop.
:thankyousign: again Geoff, got two (one long, one short) for 99p the pair ! And strong, 3diop, reading specs also 99p  :) Life with my wee tablet is now much easier and it is dong a fine job on my music collection (Walkmans being far far too small )

Only prob was that I came home about £11 lighter, cos of the tempting tins of ham, Ainsley's cup-a-soups, pickled garlic, sardines, double sticky foam tape ( to try under my setrack) etc&etc all @ 99p !! oh the temptation. Ought to have sent swmbo !!

Karhedron

If you are looking for a good budget tablet then I can thoroughly recommend the Hudl 2 from Tesco. It is now <£100 and represents excellent value for money. The performance is reliable and the build quality is decent.

In my opinion it is better than anything else around the same price-point.
Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Bealman

I'm along way away but is it a tablet or a phone?

Yours, curious  ;D :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations