Info needed regarding my computers.

Started by Geoff, July 20, 2015, 09:40:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geoff

I have 2 Laptops one I use just for my railway and the other I use everyday at work and do endless stuff on it, they are not slow laptops and both have 8 and 12 mb of Ram on board, I am usually pretty good with my laptops and try to keep them running how I like them, but since un-installing Norton my Laptops seem to be running differently something tells me to go back to Norton and something tells me no because I feel Norton as caused this problem, I have installed AVG on one machine and Avast on the other, I also run Advanced system care whether this is a cause I am stumped because the messages I get is I have to many add ons in chrome and also I have to many programs on startup, but when I go to my start up in the start button and programmes I open Start up and there is nothing in there.
The only add ons I have in Chrome is pop up blocker, Flash, Java, Browser Cleaner and a Weather App.

I try to only have programs on my Laptops that I use and any I have not used for 3 months get removed.

So this has stumped me because my machines use to run pretty fast straight into Windows and shut down quick but alas not now it seems to be dragging its feet.

If any one has any idea please let me know what you think I am all ears.

Both Laptops running Windows 8, Nvidia Graphics so no relying on laptop Ram.
Both laptops have been defragged.

Many thanks

Geoff

austinbob

Quote from: Geoff on July 20, 2015, 09:40:33 AM
I have 2 Laptops one I use just for my railway and the other I use everyday at work and do endless stuff on it, they are not slow laptops and both have 8 and 12 mb of Ram on board, I am usually pretty good with my laptops and try to keep them running how I like them, but since un-installing Norton my Laptops seem to be running differently something tells me to go back to Norton and something tells me no because I feel Norton as caused this problem, I have installed AVG on one machine and Avast on the other, I also run Advanced system care whether this is a cause I am stumped because the messages I get is I have to many add ons in chrome and also I have to many programs on startup, but when I go to my start up in the start button and programmes I open Start up and there is nothing in there.
The only add ons I have in Chrome is pop up blocker, Flash, Java, Browser Cleaner and a Weather App.

I try to only have programs on my Laptops that I use and any I have not used for 3 months get removed.

So this has stumped me because my machines use to run pretty fast straight into Windows and shut down quick but alas not now it seems to be dragging its feet.

If any one has any idea please let me know what you think I am all ears.

Both Laptops running Windows 8, Nvidia Graphics so no relying on laptop Ram.
Both laptops have been defragged.

Many thanks
Geoff, I have used Norton in the past and recall that if you want to uninstall it completely (all the little registry tweeks, services and utilities it stuffs everywhere on your computer) you need to use a Norton uninstall tool to remove all remnants of the program.
I can't give you a link but there are loads of links if you google 'Norton uninstall tool'
This was a common problem when I used Norton many years ago. If it still is I'm sure someone will be along soon to help.
:beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Papyrus

I was having similar problems with my laptop recently. I've never used Norton, but I used to use AVG, but that just used to slow the thing down for hours. Advanced System Care works fine for me. The thing that was really bugging me, though, was that Chrome would only let me read emails if Adobe Flash was turned off, but it wouldn't play videos unless it was on!! I have now ditched Chrome and my laptop is reborn! I'm using Opera which is brilliant and very slick. It doesn't sulk like Chrome does, and doesn't clog up your machine with useless add-ons like Firefox. I recommend you give it a try.

Cheers,

Chris

Newportnobby

Here's another  :thumbsup: for Opera.
The guy who repaired my laptop put this on for me and it has been great.

Geoff

I have just run Malwarebytes and wow the amount of rubbish it found was amazing in which it found some harmful Malware, the laptop seems faster now, Bob I will download the Norton Cleaner to get rid of remnants of Norton, AVG seems fine and I have taken that on board what you say Chris.

Mick and Chris I will try and see if I can get use to Opera never used it before.

Thanks to all of you it seems I am on the right track.

:thumbsup:
Geoff

austinbob

Quote from: Geoff on July 20, 2015, 11:09:55 AM
I have just run Malwarebytes and wow the amount of rubbish it found was amazing in which it found some harmful Malware, the laptop seems faster now, Bob I will download the Norton Cleaner to get rid of remnants of Norton, AVG seems fine and I have taken that on board what you say Chris.

Mick and Chris I will try and see if I can get use to Opera never used it before.

Thanks to all of you it seems I am on the right track.

:thumbsup:
Malwarebytes is a great tool. Sorted no end of problems out for me.
:beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Geoff

I honestly think it is down to the internet that pulls in loads of crap on your computer, all these cookies do not help.

Anyway things are fast again and yes using Opera at the moment and its fast and simple.
Geoff

Malc

Geoff, just because there aren't any programs in the start menu/startup folder, doesn't mean that there aren't a number that will run when you start windows. Updates for graphics cards etc. There are a few programs that will allow you to stop them starting. I use Norton and have done for 20+ years and never had a problem with it. The latest version has a startup prog editor.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Railwaygun

Sophos have a great free download - I run it 2x weekly and it causes no problems.

Malware bytes - ditto

AVG - more like bloat ware every day.

Nick R
Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done and what I had toiled to achieve, everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind;
Ecclesiastes 2:11

This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!

https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

NGF Military threads

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?board=146.0

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

10mm / N armour Threads
https://www.10mm-wargaming.com/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

cjdodd

Start > Run > MSCONFIG

That will show you all the stuff that runs at startup. Things from the start menu and things from the registry. From there you can enable and disable bits as you see fit.

keithfre

I've been using CCleaner for years and have found it very useful for clearing out unnecessary files, managing programs that start up automatically and cleaning the registery.

For removing programs I can recommend Revo Uninstaller.

DELETED

This isn't going to be too much help, I'm not a PC expert but had to fix so many machines over the years which Norton was exposed to I find it amazing Norton still exist now.  It's such a difficult program to get rid of, and I've had to fix so many PC's gone screwy before the HDD eventually dies (an unfortunate common fault with Norton I have found).  Such a very hard to program to shift. I have nothing good to say about Norton whatsoever.  No uninstall regime works on the same PC twice when it comes to Norton.

MalcolmInN

Quote from: RST on July 29, 2015, 12:47:59 AMI find it amazing Norton still exist now.
Abso,
a more pernicious bit of software it is difficult to imagine. :(
If one really really must rely on a resident virus checker then there are far better free ones out there.

mind you, there are many reasons why one should not be lulled into a false sense of security by employing any such, but that is a totally nuther (heated!) debate ;)
Just practice safe Hex.

N Gauge Bob

Quote from: Malc on July 20, 2015, 12:46:16 PM
Geoff, just because there aren't any programs in the start menu/startup folder, doesn't mean that there aren't a number that will run when you start windows. Updates for graphics cards etc. There are a few programs that will allow you to stop them starting. I use Norton and have done for 20+ years and never had a problem with it. The latest version has a startup prog editor.

For me Norton....NEVER, EVER!!!!! :veryangry:

We used to run Norton on one my companies compuer and it cost me literally £t,000 when it let a virus through.
Since then AVG for me, and nothing else. No problems with it whatsoever.
Remember this:
Amateurs..............built the Ark!
Professionals........built the Titanic!

MikeDunn

Back in the 80's & 90's, Norton was 'IT' (remember Norton Utilities ?  A copy in every techie's arsenal) ... this past 10-15 years, their products have been overtaken so much it's almost unreal.  I'm with you - I won't touch them these days ...

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations