wagon loads

Started by bluedepot, June 23, 2011, 07:35:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluedepot

ok..... what wagon loads would you have in modern open wagons?

i.e. oba, oaa, oca????

also what about tube and pipe wagons being used for departmental use? just rubble and old sleepers????

next question is, how do i make such loads out of everyday available items????

cheers

tim

elmo

For departmental pipe wagons I have used ballast and real dirt both glued into position as you would track ballast. I have also used spare parts from signal (and other) kits. They can be painted pristine for 'going to the job' or rust/dirty for being taken away. One of my wagons has an old signal head partly buried in old ballast/mud. Dont forget you can also chuck a bit of cut down greenery into these wagons.

As a tip, I cut, scribe planking (if required) and paint a false wagon base (use thin plastic) then blutac strips of oiled plastic to make false wagon sides againt the base and create the wagon load on this. When all is dry carefully remove the false sides then you have a wagon load that easilly drops in and out of wagons so you can run the same wagon empty.

Elmo

bluedepot

thanks elmo nice idea for the departmental wagons :)

i also need to put ballast in some dogfish hoppers, will presumably need some foam for this and then ballast on the top of it....

cheers

tim

elmo

With my dogfish I have used peco wagon loads filed to shape. I do not have them to hand but I believe that it is just the ends that need filing down to fit. The peco loads look better if weathered. I use very very dilute enamel paint (mainly thinner with just a brush tip of paint).
Elmo

EtchedPixels

Quote from: bluedepot on June 23, 2011, 09:26:20 PM
thanks elmo nice idea for the departmental wagons :)

i also need to put ballast in some dogfish hoppers, will presumably need some foam for this and then ballast on the top of it....

cheers

tim

I used Ten Commandments ballast loads painted with faller 'granite' paint, which really does paint this speckled colour thats like ballast .

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

MJKERR

Just as an aside
If you are looking for prepared loads
HAA, HBA, HEA and HFA : [Chivers Fine Lines normally]
Dapol Dogfish : Jacksons Models / Saxondale Loads 2M06
HTA and HHA : Jacksons Models / Saxondale Loads 2M09

I have fitted several Cast In Stone (Ten Commandments) to HTA and HHA wagons
However they are narrower and heavier than those from Saxondale
The disadvantage with the Saxondale ones is they need trimming down in order to fit within a HTA or HHA, but better that than the gaps with the Cast In Stone version

OwL

I have used match sticks before to good effect to simulate large timber loads.

Proud New Owner of Old Warren Traction Maintenance Depot Layout.

http://www.c58lg.co.uk/  http://www.c60pg.co.uk/

Chris

Based on photos of the prototypes I've done a few OBA & OCA wagon loads:-

Sleepers - taken off spare pieces of flexitrack, cut out and fixed individually before being painted stone grey and weathered.

Offcuts of rail would also be suitable.

I've also done one of my OCAs with an underground cable pipe rack as used for laying cables, and a tarpaulin load which actually covers the rear flashing lamp unit, but could represent all manner of engineering related items, such as tools.

Tank

They look superb Chris.  Did you weather the wagon yourself?

MJKERR

Quote from: Chris on July 01, 2011, 10:26:57 AMSleepers - taken off spare pieces of flexitrack, cut out and fixed individually before being painted stone grey and weathered
That is a good technique as the sleepers will be stacked
There would be small pieces of wood between them (if they are new concrete) but in N gauge these would be almost invisible
Now the bad news, I need such wagons!

Chris

Yes I weather all my wagons - a wagon just doesn't look right straight from the box in my view! ;)

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £70.23
Below Goal: £29.77
Site Currency: GBP
70% 
April Donations