Help! I've blown up my printer.

Started by Adam1701D, April 20, 2021, 09:12:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

N_GaugeModeller

It was probably the cable in the mains lead that went bang, which was why changing the fuse made no difference.

I have some "Kettle Leads" that have such thin conductive wires that I doubt they could supply an amp let alone 13. Good old China and their high quality products on eBay ;)
There may be spelling and grammatical errors in my posts, I am Dyslexic so just think yourself lucky you can actually read what I have written.

I am also in the early stages of Alzheimer's and Vascular dementia so sometimes struggle with basic communication.

You don't need to point out my errors.  Thanks

Bealman

Yes, I bought a mains powered signal generator from China, and there have been multiple reports of full mains voltage on the signal outputs!  :uneasy:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Fardap

Quote from: N_GaugeModeller on April 25, 2021, 08:39:23 AM
It was probably the cable in the mains lead that went bang, which was why changing the fuse made no difference.

I have some "Kettle Leads" that have such thin conductive wires that I doubt they could supply an amp let alone 13. Good old China and their high quality products on eBay ;)

Would also explain the lack of that lovely component burnt/blown smell that would surely have been reported initially.

Adam1701D

I know what to look for next time. Never realised the whole cable could blow out like that after changing the fuse about a dozen times.
Best Regards,
Adam Warr
Peterborough, UK

Fardap

At least it was pretty much the cheapest option for failure though!

Cables do age and as mentioned some are better than others, never a good idea to go cheap where mains is concerned (not that I think you did) - but also kinks, bends and trapped cables can break down internally

ntpntpntp

I must admit I've never encountered a kettle lead failure.  All the ones I have for PC gear and guitar amplifiers etc. are thick and strong. 
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Malc

I must have installed many hundreds of IEC leads and only had 2 or 3 failures. When I investigated by cutting into the moulded ends, it was the crimping on the socket that had failed.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £15.67
Below Goal: £84.33
Site Currency: GBP
16% 
May Donations