...and she said...

Started by lionwing, March 31, 2014, 08:45:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tdm

I have 3 main Hobbies which the misses knows about and is happy with.

1- My Classic Car which occasionally can be costly to maintain at times.
2)- My N gauge model railway which she tolerates because it is not in our Apartment. 
3)- My twice weekly trips to play Snooker.

#My Triumph Stag is 36 years old and I have owned it the past 20 years and it has been a good investment as well as a joy to drive and I do most of any repairs to it myself which saves money.
#My N gauge layout I have only had since last September and I get regular parcels from Hattons which our Reception staff are now used to - and ring me rather than my wife when they arrive.
#A game of Snooker is not dear, and a 2 hour session plus a coke, a pint, and a Pukka Pie
usually works out at less than â,¬10, and I pay for my wife to have a massage in our apartment on a Saturday while I am away playing which keeps her happy.

All in all not a bad arrangement I think.  :beers:

Calnefoxile

I got the eye rolling last week from SWMBO, when I was sorting my modelling table and man cave out, as I seemed to be finding plastic bags full of unopened stock, and got caught transferring it all to my stock boxes.

I remember once, a few years back, when I'd only been back in the hobby for about 5 or 6 years, when I got caught by SWMBO after she came home from work early one day...........(I'll leave it hanging there)  :P :P
..... No seriously, I was on leave and had got the kids off to school, finished my chores and thought "SWMBO is on a late and I've got a couple of hours before I have to fetch kids from school, I'll just do a stock take of all my stock and sort it out into rakes" When who should walk in through the lounge door, but SWMBO and caught me in the act, so to speak....

"Where the hell did that lot come from" was the first question out of her mouth, my reply?? Nothing, just stood there open mouthed, like a rabbit in headlights, muttering something like "Erm, erm, erm, ebay darling", "Don't you darling me!!" came the reply "You've been buying this stuff behind my back, haven't you??" Now I couldn't really deny it, as the evidence was there, in all it's glory, spread all over the lounge floor, so all I could do was stand there opening and closing my mouth like a goldfish, with nothing coming out. So SWMBO flounced out of the lounge, slamming the door behind her moaning about spending money we didn't have on toy trains etc. Which to be fair, was probably true. I sort of got a way with it, when I outlined to her that actually, the stuff was worth as much to sell as it was to buy.

Anyway now, I tell her what I want to buy and she just shakes her head, rolls her eyes and says "As long as we can afford it" to which my answer is always "Of course we can my sweet" her reply is always "Mmmmm bet we can"

God I love her  :-* :-* :-*

Regards

Neal.

Fifer

As you all may suspect Robin always looks at me and says " are you shoplifting again !!" :scowl:

Mike
"When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life.
When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up.
I wrote 'happy'.
They told me I didn't understand the assignment, and I told them they didn't understand life."
-- John Lennon

talisman56

Quote from: Fifer on March 31, 2014, 03:23:41 PM
As you all may suspect Robin always looks at me and says " are you shoplifting again !!" :scowl:

Mike

:laughabovepost:  Again?  :goggleeyes:
Quando omni flunkus moritati

My layout thread - Hambleside East: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=18364.0
My workbench thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=19037

talisman56

My purchases are generally tolerated nowadays as we have a bit of spare cash at the end of each month now. Last September I took my pension money early; repaid a lot of extraneous debt and most of the mortgage back with the lump sum.

No financial worries = happy monetary discussions = both of us can indulge our hobbies.

My layout thread - Hambleside East: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=18364.0

talisman56

Quote from: NTrain on March 31, 2014, 08:51:20 AM
And, being N Gauge, you can get them inthe house in a coat pocket, without trying to debate the justice of it..................... :uneasy:

How do you fit a loco and rake of carriages in a coat pocket? :)

Paul B

Quote from: talisman56 on March 31, 2014, 05:53:05 PM
Quote from: NTrain on March 31, 2014, 08:51:20 AM
And, being N Gauge, you can get them inthe house in a coat pocket, without trying to debate the justice of it..................... :uneasy:

How do you fit a loco and rake of carriages in a coat pocket? :)

Buy a coat with big pockets specifically for the purpose of N Gauge shopping?  :smiley-laughing:
LNER and PKP fan in the home of the GWR!

Komata

Re: ;...but I reckon...'  You sir, are a very brave man.  As you can see, the (N gauge) world watches developments with interest...

BTW: Because of circumstances (which I won't go into here), I'm in the interesting position of having to be PERSUADED  / PUSHED by my wife into buying N-scale railway-type things.  A most unusual situation I think you'll agree...

As you may have gathered already, she is very supportive :) :) :)
"TVR - Serving the Northern Taranaki . . . "

Fifer

Quote from: Komata on April 01, 2014, 02:33:29 AM
Re: ;...but I reckon...'  You sir, are a very brave man.  As you can see, the (N gauge) world watches developments with interest...

BTW: Because of circumstances (which I won't go into here), I'm in the interesting position of having to be PERSUADED  / PUSHED by my wife into buying N-scale railway-type things.  A most unusual situation I think you'll agree...

Good for you buddy!!!

Mike
"When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life.
When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up.
I wrote 'happy'.
They told me I didn't understand the assignment, and I told them they didn't understand life."
-- John Lennon

Newportnobby

Quote from: Komata on April 01, 2014, 02:33:29 AM

I used to be in the same position as she always said 'at least I know where you are when you're in the railway room'
Then she realised that railway modelling carried some costs with it :doh:
It didn't help when I pointed out I did a full time job whereas she worked 16 hours a week so therefore I had to bear all those costs >:D

Malc

Quote from: newportnobby on April 01, 2014, 09:15:43 AM

I used to be in the same position as she always said 'at least I know where you are when you're in the railway room'
Then she realised that railway modelling carried some costs with it :doh:
It didn't help when I pointed out I did a full time job whereas she worked 16 hours a week so therefore I had to bear all those costs >:D

.... and that was when the fight started.  :D
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

EtchedPixels

My grandfather on my dad's side played the drums in pubs and clubs, ran a lathe in his shed, repaired vacuum cleaners, watches washing machines and anything else, had a OO scale model railway and scratch built a pair of O gauge locomotives.

My Dad builds radio equipment and 30ft or higher amateur radio aerials in the garden

I think my wife thinks she's lucky I just do N  8-)

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Newportnobby

Quote from: EtchedPixels on April 01, 2014, 12:46:19 PM
My grandfather on my dad's side played the drums in pubs and clubs, ran a lathe in his shed, repaired vacuum cleaners, watches washing machines and anything else, had a OO scale model railway and scratch built a pair of O gauge locomotives.

My Dad builds radio equipment and 30ft or higher amateur radio aerials in the garden

I think my wife thinks she's lucky I just do N  8-)

Alan

Strangely enough, I do know other people who watch washing machines :goggleeyes:
Guess it beats the rubbish on the telly ::)

Ray Haddad

Quote from: newportnobby on April 01, 2014, 01:35:49 PM
Strangely enough, I do know other people who watch washing machines :goggleeyes:

I really hate the Laundry Channel. Boring!
I exclusively model the WSMF Railroad.

Newportnobby

Quote from: Ray Haddad on April 01, 2014, 01:40:29 PM
Quote from: newportnobby on April 01, 2014, 01:35:49 PM

I really hate the Laundry Channel. Boring!

No smut, though :angel:

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations