New Post Ratings Installed

Started by guest2, December 30, 2018, 05:41:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

You didn't complain about that when we had the previous 'Thank you' system?!   :P ;D

NeMo

Quote from: Tank on December 30, 2018, 08:40:55 PM
You didn't complain about that when we had the previous 'Thank you' system?!   :P ;D

Is this directed at me?

Nope; because as @JasonBz pointed out, people were more than likely to actually leave a message. I hope they still will. I merely object to the idea that actual posts saying "nice photos" or "well done" or whatever are clogging up threads. They're not; I think they're lovely, and look forward to them!

Cheers, NeMo
(Former NGS Journal Editor)

Bealman

Having just woken up to this here in Oz, and at the risk annoying the boss, I do feel that's it's a bit of overkill. As NeMo says, it seems impersonal.

I would often post a thank you, and then a post expressing what I thought in words. Much more personal, and once again, as NeMo suggests, would possibly encourage further modelling and improvement.

Placing the the thank you at the end of the post is most definitely a positive, though.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Tank

Quote from: NeMo on December 30, 2018, 08:42:54 PM
Quote from: Tank on December 30, 2018, 08:40:55 PM

Is this directed at me?

Nope; because as JasonBz pointed out, people were more than likely to actually leave a message. I hope they still will. I merely object to the idea that actual posts saying "nice photos" or "well done" or whatever are clogging up threads. They're not; I think they're lovely, and look forward to them!

Cheers, NeMo

Yes, I replied to the last post.

I've found that there is a lot more interaction from people if they only have to hit a button to comment, rather than have to write a post.  It is annoying if you go to a thread and someone has written a one or two word reply or an emoji.  This new way just lets the person who did the post find out another users opinion without telling the whole collective that their post is "Wow!". 

I find that it's also the case with a lot of members of forums who lurk, that they may interact with a post by using one of these ratings.

I feel there is no harm in trying this.  Certainly a candidate for removing the Agree/Disagree is a possible favourite to go, as we have Like and Dislike.

daffy

Using the  :thumbsup: and  :thumbsdown: options will, since Christmas Day, always bring my two year old grand-daughter Ruby to mind, as my wife taught her to recreate the catch phrases and actions of the comedian Norman Vaughan, who died, aged 75 back in 2002:

Thumb up = "Swinging!"

Thumb down = "Dodgy!"

Makes me laugh just thinking about her saying and doing them, to the mystified bemusement of her parents who have no idea what is going on. :D

As for the other options, let's just give them time. Personally I like the option to not post but just make it clear that I am laughing at a joke, rather than saying thank you, or being able to simply state that I agree or disagree with a point without entering into a discussion. After all, if someone has a firm opinion, often no amount of discussion is likely to change it, and a thread can enter realms best left unvisited.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Bealman

Always thought that was Jimmy Tarbuck?  :hmmm:

I too think that the laugh at joke good option is good.

Bob Tidbury

Could the various icons be spaced out a bit more for clumsy people like me ,other wise some posts might get the wrong one sent and that might upset the  person that posted the item .
Bob Tidbury

PLD

I agree with keeping the 'disagree' button (feel free to click on disagree if you feel it shouldn't be used!  ;) )

I do however think the range should be slimmed down a bit though - the current 12 options is more than any other forum I use so maybe just have:

• Thank you
  • Agree or Like (but not both)
  • Disagree or Dislike (but not both)
  • Funny
  • Plus a button that seems to get quite a lot of use on some fora but not in the current selection meaning "please kindly expand or rephrase your posting as something is lost in translation and I don't comprehend your meaning", or to put it more simply "What the **** are you on about..."   ::)

njee20

Quote from: Tank on December 30, 2018, 08:52:14 PM
Yes, I replied to the last post.

I've found that there is a lot more interaction from people if they only have to hit a button to comment, rather than have to write a post.  It is annoying if you go to a thread and someone has written a one or two word reply or an emoji.  This new way just lets the person who did the post find out another users opinion without telling the whole collective that their post is "Wow!". 

OT: I would happily mete out instant lifetime bans for anyone who quotes the post immediately preceding theirs (typically one with loads of photos) then just adds "looks great".  RAGE!

As an aside, if we are slimming down the list I'd much sooner have agree/disagree than like/dislike. Dislike particularly I think is actually quite an unpleasant sentiment, whilst disagreeing is fine, and the basis for discussion.

Madann01

Having just sent my first 'agree' with a post rating on this subject, a thought has crossed my mind that I have agreed with the whole content of the post despite there being a couple of points being raised by the author one of which I had no opinion about. So it appears that I have agreed with the whole post.
This is my first foray into forums on any subject so I am unaware of how other forums operate or even if I care to find out :confused2: I can only comment on my experience with this forum which I have found to be extremely friendly, I do however have concerns about being 'Rated' on any future posts as any negative ratings would certainly put me off from posting questions or asking for help :(
Having said this I can see that these ratings can be of use on certain boards as a part of healthy debate and as a bit of a straw poll but surely  not appropriate on all boards, :uneasy:

njee20

I would still selectively quote in the instance you don't want to agree with the whole post, or more significantly if you actively disagree with parts of what have been said.

For me ratings are a secondary thing. I'll still usually comment, but it can be a nice addition to 'like' something.

I see we no longer notified when you get a rating. Did that get mentioned?!  :dunce:

RailGooner

Yep.

Quote from: Tank on December 30, 2018, 06:45:42 PM
I shall try to get integration so that when you get a rating, the forum can alert you.

railsquid

Quote from: PLD on December 30, 2018, 09:50:44 PM
I do however think the range should be slimmed down a bit though - the current 12 options is more than any other forum I use so maybe just have:

• Thank you
  • Agree or Like (but not both)
  • Disagree or Dislike (but not both)
  • Funny
  • Plus a button that seems to get quite a lot of use on some fora but not in the current selection meaning "please kindly expand or rephrase your posting as something is lost in translation and I don't comprehend your meaning", or to put it more simply "What the **** are you on about..."   ::)

I agree with this - it's not even obvious what some of them are, and while there an "alt text" defined in the images it's not showing for me.

In particular the "tick" and "cross" buttons seem to duplicate the "thumbs up" and "thumbs down" ones?

What is the rainbow? The brush (which is often used as an edit icon)? The spanner?

Yet_Another

Oh dear.

There seems to be no way of telling what's what on an ipad - no alt text as far as I can see.

The icons are too close together to be easily selectable.

The animation is just annoying.

The blob of emojis at the bottom of every post is just a mess.

Not a fan.  :thumbsdown:

But thanks for putting the effort in.
Tony

'...things are not done by those who sit down to count the cost of every thought and act.' - Sir Daniel Gooch of IKB

Bealman

Yes, the more I'm looking at it this morning here in Oz, the moving thank you to the bottom would have been enough.

Having said that, I think PLD's suggestion has merit.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations