The angry thread

Started by findus, March 29, 2011, 09:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

emjaybee

Hold the line mate. These idiots shouldn't be allowed to treat people like this.

We're all rooting for you.

:thumbsup:
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

jpendle

Quote from: emjaybee on November 06, 2019, 05:20:57 PM
Quote from: jpendle on November 06, 2019, 04:27:38 PM
Before everyone blames 'Europe'. I live in the US and 2 factor verification, i.e. sending a PIN to a mobile has been with us for a couple of years now.

At least my UK bank hasn't tried that yet!

What gets my goat is the increasing number of retailers in the UK who WILL NOT ACCEPT a foreign credit or debit card when purchasing things online.

This means that when pressies need to be bought for our grandchildren, we are either forced to use Amazon (or Hattons :D), or we have to transfer the money to our son's bank account so that he can buy the stuff on our behalf.

John P

That cuts both ways. When we're in the US the petrol pumps won't accept UK credit cards, this means one of us has to go and pay and either top up payment or get a refund whilst the other is filling.

:veryangry:

Luxury, when I were a lad we had to get .......................

Anyhow, when in the UK we can use our credit cards at Tesco or Asda, but not our debit cards, BUT our debit cards work fine when we try to withdraw cash!!

John P
Check out my layout thread.

Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39501.msg476247#msg476247

And my Automation Thread

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=52597.msg687934#msg687934

Chetcombe

I still have a GBP account with a debit card. Increasingly I have found that UK websites won't accept this card (which comes from a UK bank) because the address for the account is outside the UK :veryangry:
Mike

See my layout here Chetcombe
Videos of Chetcombe on YouTube

Bealman

I should put this on the happy thread really, but seeing as the current discussion is financial, I'll put it here.

Mrs Bealman made an online investment a few months back, and reckoned she'd waved goodbye to a quite substantial amount of money.

She was getting phone calls in the night from UK numbers, and ended up having to change phone numbers, account numbers, and a lot of other stuff.

Anyway she provided all the details she could to the bank where her scammed account was, and lo and behold, they chased it up (don't ask me how - it intrigues me), and recovered all her money - from an account in Moscow!!!

As I say, this should really be in the happy thread  :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Chetcombe

Quote from: Bealman on November 09, 2019, 10:57:16 PM
I should put this on the happy thread really, but seeing as the current discussion is financial, I'll put it here.

Mrs Bealman made an online investment a few months back, and reckoned she'd waved goodbye to a quite substantial amount of money.

She was getting phone calls in the night from UK numbers, and ended up having to change phone numbers, account numbers, and a lot of other stuff.

Anyway she provided all the details she could to the bank where her scammed account was, and lo and behold, they chased it up (don't ask me how - it intrigues me), and recovered all her money - from an account in Moscow!!!

As I say, this should really be in the happy thread  :beers:

Glad all was solved! I had my bank login and password hacked a few months back, but thankfully found it before my accounts were emptied and was able to get the bank to freeze everything. I logged into my account online to find the welcome page had changed to a Spanish language version and that my email and other details had been changed from within my account. I think both the hacker and I were online in my account at the same time!
Mike

Bealman

Chetcombe

Quote from: Bealman on November 09, 2019, 11:09:18 PM
Gawd!!!  :o

Stupidly I used the same login and password across several websites, so they also hijacked my Amazon account, my PayPal account, Facebook, the service I use to transfer money to the UK amongst others. Suffice to say, lessons were learned and I now have a different login and password for everything :dunce:

The only good news was that they didn't hack my NGF account!!
Mike

Bealman

Triple Gawd!!!!

As you say, they never got to the important one  ;D

RailGooner

I'm a member Quidco, of one of those discount online shopping schemes. I pay £5 a year and get discount offers for lots of online stores.

Today I've received an email announcing the 'AliExpress 11:11 Sale'. I cannot begin to describe my disgust at their using Remembrance Day as a marketing opportunity!

woodbury22uk

Quote from: RailGooner on November 11, 2019, 12:13:36 PM
I'm a member Quidco, of one of those discount online shopping schemes. I pay £5 a year and get discount offers for lots of online stores.

Today I've received an email announcing the 'AliExpress 11:11 Sale'. I cannot begin to describe my disgust at their using Remembrance Day as a marketing opportunity!

Unsurprised to find that Sports Direct has an 11/11 sale.

https://my.sportsdirect.com/flash-sale

But 11/11 is also "singles day" in China so not necessarily related to Armistice commemorations in the AliExpress instance.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singles%27_Day
Mike

Membre AFAN 0196

RailGooner

Mike, I didn't know about Singles' Day and you're probably right in linking it to that. :-[

Doltic

My provider is apparently incapable of linking my flat up to the world wide web - We've been trying to getting them to make it work since end of august - Now, 3 months later i'm still stuck with a darned 4G thing with limited bandwidth.

And they say the germans are efficent and everything.

I think it's time for me to send an armoured e-mail to their customer support.
Deltic nerd.

now owns a BR01.

daveg

My heart bleeds for you, Doltic!  :no:

4G? We can just about get 3G and 35% of the time there's 'No Service' or 'Emergency Call Only'.

Likewise BB where our mini exchange is 2 miles away and BT won't consider installing any improvements over the 1950s copper for 'at least 3 years'. We are complaining about that!

Appreciate it must be frustrating when you learn of all the 5G wizard stuff you're missing but do think of us in the UK backwoods - 8 miles from the county city - that have to go up to the bathroom to get a mobile signal!  :veryangry:

Dave G

dannyboy

My landline is 12 miles from the nearest exchange. I once had an engineer to my house to see about broadband - he just laughed at me and said, "You've no chance". I have since cancelled the landline due to the number of faults. I now rely on a mobile dongle thingy which is not too bad during the day - not so good in an evening and it usually uses 3G. Still, I chose to live in a rural area. The Irish Government keep talking about a 'National Broadband Plan' - yeh right, I don't think it will be in my lifetime.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

The Q

Another one that has to go upstairs to the bathroom window to get the use of the mobile phone.. at least it has kept the smart meters away.

The land line however has been a surprise as we are 1 one of a total of 20 houses in the village, spread along 2 miles of road, and we are at the far end from the cabinet.
some years back a farmer cut the line to us, it's just buried 6 inches under the verge, and he cut a new entrance to a field..
I spoke to an engineer at the time and he said we had no chance even of getting broadband. as we were over 5  imiles from the exchange..

Then a couple of years later..
They dug a trench in the road all the way from the exchange to the next village, From there they put in a new line to a point where it diverges  off to another bigger village and put in an underground "node" about a mile away.. So now at home we have 27Meg broadband.

Here at work, we nominally have over 200Megs but of course with over 100 people in the factory thats not much each at times..

At work, yes I have long periods where I have to sit and not move or it changes the readings, hence I surf a lot while waiting.
Next reading 1.8999484 M ohms standard deviation 0.1ppm

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations