What should the next 64ft Revolution DMU be?

Started by bluedepot, October 24, 2023, 08:58:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newportnobby

I wonder how much of that is down to strange people like me who like their trains in odd numbers? :hmmm:
My coach rakes are always 3, 5, 7 or 9 in number (layout's too small for anything more) and I prefer 3 coach to 2 coach every time :laugh3:

Bob G

Quote from: Newportnobby on October 24, 2023, 11:00:42 PMI wonder how much of that is down to strange people like me who like their trains in odd numbers? :hmmm:
My coach rakes are always 3, 5, 7 or 9 in number (layout's too small for anything more) and I prefer 3 coach to 2 coach every time :laugh3:

I do that with wagons, but with coaches that's just weird.  ???

MUs of electric or diesel persuasion were made in 2-car, 3-car, 4-car, 5-car, 6-car, 7-car, etc etc as befitted the need of the prototype.

Good job you don't model the Southern, with almost every unit in multiples of 2 or 4 (apart from the 3 SUBs, Thumpers, and 5-BEL ones LOL).

Even your Laugh symbol was Laugh3. Now you are really being funny.  :laugh3:

Bob

Bealman

They were British Railway's way of the future, after the end of steam. Well they got that right, I guess.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Steven B

Quote from: PLD on October 24, 2023, 08:40:05 PMMy Heart says 124 Trans-Pennine units, given their local connections, but a complicated shape to make (especially the ends), small fleet, relatively short-lived on limited routes is likely to limit sales and being a 6 car unit (4 different vehicles) expensive to produce.

Small fleet, short-live on limited routes and several different vehicles? Sounds like the Mk5a which Revolution are doing!

I don't think curved windows would be that tricky - I'm sure I read that Rapido didn't do them on the Class 28 as they couldn't justify the additional tooling costs as the refurbished window layout could carry a wider range of liveries.

They could follow it up with Mk2b/c coaches, then the class 185 and corner the market in Transpennine trains!

As far as first generation MU's, I'd happily buy anything that ran in Greater Manchester in the late 1980s. (classes 104, 110, 116, 304 & parcels versions of 114 and 127).

SB

Bob G

Quote from: Steven B on October 25, 2023, 09:01:02 AMAs far as first generation MU's, I'd happily buy anything that ran in Greater Manchester in the late 1980s. (classes 104, 110, 116, 304 & parcels versions of 114 and 127).

SB

Nah, these are rubbish trains. Not seen sarf of Watford.
Where are the Pennines anyway? Scotland?

(definitely tongue in cheek comment, and definitely NOT political he he)

Bob

Newportnobby

I had a 3 car class 108 and picked up a centre coach from a fellow forumite so can now run it as a 2, 3 or 4 car set :D

Bob G

Newportnobby

Quote from: Bob G on October 25, 2023, 11:20:36 AMDefinitely off topic by now  :laughabovepost:

Quote from: Bob G on October 25, 2023, 08:03:16 AM
Quote from: Newportnobby on October 24, 2023, 11:00:42 PMI wonder how much of that is down to strange people like me who like their trains in odd numbers? :hmmm:
MUs of electric or diesel persuasion were made in 2-car, 3-car, 4-car, 5-car, 6-car, 7-car, etc etc as befitted the need of the prototype.
Even your Laugh symbol was Laugh3. Now you are really being funny.  :laugh3:
Bob

You started it :nerner:

Bob G

Time to stop it then. Other folk will think we are disrespectful to the OP.

NScaleNotes

There might actually be an explanation for this that I remember from photography. It's to do with visual interest; an odd number of items grouped together is more visually interesting as it tends to force your eyes to move around the group or so the theory goes.

It's interesting how many principals of interesting/good photography can be transferred to model making.

NScaleNotes

Just to get things back on topic, I'm voting for the Class 126 just because it's such a weird looking Frankenstein of a DMU  :D

Bob G

Quote from: NScaleNotes on October 25, 2023, 02:35:58 PMJust to get things back on topic, I'm voting for the Class 126 just because it's such a weird looking Frankenstein of a DMU  :D

Interestingly, I looked at these (as well as the original 79xxx Glasgow-Edinburgh DMUs that started the two window cab look) when revolution settled on the Class 120. Unfortunately there are so many different coach variations between the 79xxx series, the 120s, and the 126s that Revolution settled on the 120 as only needing three main coach designs.

Fortunately the 120s also served in Scotland and therefore stand a chance of filling in as a surrogate for both the 126s and the 79xxx series DMUs.

The third batch of 120s, which has a four character headcode box, is also not on Revolution's radar (unless they've not told me something). There were only 7 sets built and they only served on the WR, so again a bit niche.

Good on you for trying though  ;D

Dalek

There was a poll on a website last year with all of this on, can't remember which ? Maybe n gauge news, anyway it had pictures which helped  :thumbsup:

Craig

robert shrives

I would think that 119 would be a quick win with a chassis that would easily be rebodied.
The power train could be used in a 115/116/117/118/125 suburban option - likely as I have cut and glued quite a big batch of Dapol 121/122 into 116 and 117 3 cars.  well i had done the 3d print forum 128...and Ben etc announce the rtr version - I have two and very good they are.
Yes the 123/124  intercity dmu would be good but easy to spend others money. I suspect several years down the road.

We could see a head to head on the 121/122 and DTS vehicles as a one vehicle project to supply an upto date model.
Robert   

robert shrives

Off the wall would be a thumper or Hastings as a lovely version made for the Kenny O layout and I have several sets of etches.

mind you how about a 210 demu ....or the Irish version, gets coat.
robert

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £100.23
Above Goal: £0.23
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
April Donations