BR (ex-LNER) Steam Locos in Operation 1955-68 & the N Gauge Models

Started by icairns, April 24, 2022, 03:29:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

icairns

First of all, I would like to thank everyone that participated in this thread and provided additional information and/or corrections to my list of ex-LNER locos and N gauge kits. 

As promised, I have attached an updated list that incorporates all of the additional information. 

There are two versions attached; the first one is a "redline" version that shows all of the changes made and the second version is a clean "blackline" version. 

I don't intend to go through all of the new information but here are a few bits that might be of interest.

(1) @Snowwolflair  has developed a 3D print currently available via Shapeways of an LNER Class U1 (the LNER Beyer-Garrat) and a thread describing the development of this model can be found here:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38806.0

This model is now included in the list.

(2) My original list did not include the J38 even though this prototype was the last Gresley design in service and the class lasted until 1967.  In my defense, my original reference (the 1955 edition of the Observer's Book of Railway Locomotives) did not include it either!  It goes directly from J37 to J39. 

To me, this is an unbelievable omission but I double checked and even checked the page numbers to make sure that there were no pages missing but the J38 is not in there.  Note that my 1964 edition of the same publication DOES include the J38!

Union Mills has produced a RTR J38 so this information has now been included.

(3) Recreation21 has recently produced a 3D print of an LNER P1 2-8-2 loco on Shapeways but this is not included on the list as the class became extinct in 1945 (i.e., before the 1955 starting point of my list).  However, I am mentioning it here as I thought that this information might be of interest to some. 

(4)  I did send a PM to Steve Da Costa (Atso-Cad) to see if he was still doing commissions/special orders of some of his LNER classes.  However, I did not receive a reply.  Steve used to be a frequent poster on this Forum but I do not remember seeing anything from him in a while.  Does anybody know if he is okay?

Thanks again for your interest.

Ian

P.S. Any additions and/or corrections to the latest list gratefully received. 

martyn

Thank you and congratulations on completing a major reference file, Ian.

It will come in helpful to many people, I'm sure.

Martyn

Roy L S

Quote from: icairns on June 01, 2022, 04:33:42 AM

(4)  I did send a PM to Steve Da Costa (Atso-Cad) to see if he was still doing commissions/special orders of some of his LNER classes.  However, I did not receive a reply.  Steve used to be a frequent poster on this Forum but I do not remember seeing anything from him in a while.  Does anybody know if he is okay?

Hi Ian

I have been in touch with Steve fairly recently, he is doing fine, just very busy with a demanding day job these days.

As far as I am aware Steve doesn't do commissions these days, all that is available is those prints still showing on Shapeways. This makes me all the more appreciative of the K3 and V3 Steve did for me a few years back, absolutely lovely one of a kind locos.

Here's the V3, it is a lovely loco and so beautifully weathered.

Roy

icairns

Good to hear that everything is okay with Steve.  I am sure we are all looking forward to his future posts.

Ian

icairns

Quote from: martyn on May 24, 2022, 09:07:46 PM
I can only echo what Roy LS said-I've never seen the L1 and L3 either in the metal or even advertised, and I've been looking for an L1 since about 1976.....but I do feel that the L1 was released, however maybe as only one or very limited issue?  Other ABS kits and bits I have seen advertised, and even bought.

Don't really know.

Best wishes on your further research

Martyn

While researching another topic in the N Gauge Journals of the 1990s, I came across the attached snippets of information regarding the ABS/Beaver LNER L1 (see attached pdf file).  While this does not provide any definitive information, it does confirm that the masters for the L1 did exist.

Further information would be welcomed.

Ian

martyn

I think the last extract is more or less what another Society officer told me privately at the time; masters had been made, but the person holding them was not-at that time-going to take them into production, and AFAIK, they never were.

Martyn

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £35.23
Below Goal: £64.77
Site Currency: GBP
35% 
April Donations