Tour De France 2019

Started by PostModN66, July 06, 2019, 10:08:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PostModN66

Well, someone had to start it!

After stage 1 I think I get it so far.....

Most people crossed the line in 4:22:47,   But there were 10, 6 and 4 bonus seconds for the first three places, so Teunissen, Sagan and Ewan are ahead by these amounts.

.....but not a worry for GC riders, as a) it's a small amount and b) they'll easily get it back in the mountains later....????

What are the implications for the TTT tomorrow?

Cheers Jon  :)
"We must conduct research and then accept the results. If they don't stand up to experimentation, Buddha's own words must be rejected." ― Dalai Lama XIV

My Postmodern Image Layouts

Lofthole http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14792.msg147178#msg147178

Deansmoor http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14741.msg146381#msg146381

Newportnobby

Shame about the prangs, especially the 2nd one. Just shows you can take nothing for granted :uneasy:

Luke Piewalker

I suppose it depends on if they want to defend the yellow jersey or not. Traditionally this is where we suggest the GC contender teams will be happy for someone else to take the pressure of the jersey, but on the other hand it's never bothered them recently. TTT's are a bit of a crapshoot really, I don't think I've ever predicted correctly what would happen. Without any evidence I don't think the bonus seconds will help anyone cling onto or keep hold of the Jersey, I can see one of the GC teams overhauling them.

Lawrence

Just don't expect to get any sense out of @Newportnobby  whilst this is one, he is an avid follower.

Scratch that - edit:

Just don't expect to get any sense out of @Newportnobby

;) ;D ;D

njee20

You won't win the GC in the TTT, but you can definitely lose it. Some teams are very good; US Postal/Discovery were very good 'back in the day', other teams just don't have the TTers and/or the discipline and it's messy.

Fuglsang could be vulnerable, a TT Bike is not a comfy place to be given he's clearly a bit sore. The team gets the time of the 5th man over the line, if he's dropped off he gets his own time. That said expect teams to shed a couple of men early on if they're struggling; it's a balance between getting rid of ballast and having fewer men to do turns on the front.

Ineos usually do well at TTTs as a manifestation of their organisational skills, the whole 'marginal gains' thing. I'd not like to bet on the winning team frankly, it's so early in the race form is a bit of an unknown, expect continuing poker face from Geraint Thomas; he doesn't have the racing in his legs that he'd like/probably should have, but ultimately he'll almost certainly come out with the same time as Bernal.

Time gaps are pretty irrelevant at this point. They did away with them for a few years and haven't long brought them back, the sprinters will be fighting for 132nd overall when it comes to Paris, so having 10 seconds now is something and nothing!

Philip.

Nice to see Wiggo rocking a Stone Roses T Shirt and Parka on Eurosport  :D They've got him riding pillion on a motorbike giving in race reports.

I think todays TTT may shake the GC up a bit, Team Ineos will start as one of the favourites but do they want the Maillot jaune this early on?

njee20

They're not going to ride slowly today to actively avoid taking it. The whole "not wanting the yellow jersey" thing is more relevant when it comes to chasing down attacks by lower-risk riders on early mountain stages and using unnecessary effort. It would be a massive risk to cruise the TT and concede time to everyone.

They've got to beat Jumbo Visma by at least 10 seconds, Bora Hansgrohe by 6 seconds and Lotto Soudal by 4 seconds to get it anyway!

Philip.

I wasn't implying they should ride slowly to avoid taking the jersey, that's a ludicrous thought  ;) I can quite easily see Thomas or Bernal in yellow after today, I just wondered whether it was in their planning to have it so early.

njee20

I would imagine so, but assuming they do win it'll be Gianni Moscon in yellow, as highest placed Ineos rider.

Philip.

I thought it was 4th rider counts for the time now teams are only 8 riders, stand to be corrected though

njee20

Ah yes, good shout, you're probably right!

Philip.

Brilliant ride from Jumbo-Visma, a 20 second margin on a short TTT is superb.

njee20

Agreed, that they had an equivalent gap to that between 2nd and 11th is mad! Surprised at Trek-Segafredo's poor performance, another year for Richie Porte to fail to meet expectations!

Ineos the bridesmaids once again, have they ever actually won a TTT at the TdF?!

Tomorrow should be good, few punchy climbs at the end will mean it's certainly not one for the pure sprinters. Sagan may be able to go with the leaders and hold on, but I reckon someone like Van Avermaet, or possibly Wout Van Aert.

Newportnobby

My ride of the day goes to Team Katusha Alpecin. By heck, that one came from leftfield :o

njee20

Alex Dowsett is a formidable TTer obviously, but yes, I was surprised by them, great ride.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £67.34
Below Goal: £32.66
Site Currency: GBP
67% 
March Donations