Choosing a first diesel passenger train

Started by TMcG1959, July 05, 2020, 05:17:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TMcG1959

Having moved to N gauge for the first time I wanted to build a layout that didn't involve scratchbuilding. I decided to build a layout based on the 1969s end of steam era and moving into the beginning of diesel passenger trains.

Can anyone suggest a nice diesel set up that would meet that criteria and that would negotiate nice sweeping curves on my layout plan.

Newportnobby

Steam on BR lines finally passed away in 1968 whereas many main line diesels came in late 50s/early 60s. Much depends on where you have set your layout as, for example, hydraulics like Westerns, Warships and Hymeks were only seen on the Western regions and parts of the Southern region. A lot also hinges on whether you want diesels to have lights/headcodes illuminated.
Sorry, but I think more detail is required from you before we can pinpoint anything, Tony.

crewearpley40

Agree with mick tony depends on region, interests then we can all happily contribute

tunneroner61

A further thought is do you want a loco hauled train or would a DMU suffice? Also what colour - by 1969 many diesels and Mk1 coaches were in corporate blue.

For me for sheer beauty you can't beat the Blue Pullman in original livery!!!

crewearpley40

Maybe a Class 40 or 47 would look fine. However, happy to wait to see answers when ready tony

Newportnobby

If it helps BR Blue kicked in 1965 so diesels were green, maroon etc before that.

ntpntpntp

It really does depend what your interests are @TMcG1959 , though I'm guessing you mean British locos?

Just for balance, there are plenty of nice Continental diesels from that period, with superb running qualities, from the likes of Fleischman, Minitrix, Arnold, and others  :D   
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

TMcG1959

My Union Mills locos and Fairburn tank loco are BR if that is a clue, I really like the dark green locos though I would be interested in 2or3 car DMU's.

As for region, I've been modelling Irish for over 30years so know absolutely nothing about the regions. However, I do like the thought of a nice country station with curved platforms, steam locos shunting the the background and the occasional passenger train passing trough the countryside.

crewearpley40

The Hydraulics eg 42, 52 and Hymeks worked the western region eg bristol, exeter, west of there. Nearly everywhere you could find a 2 tone green with mk1s which are readily available. My next question would be depends on where in the uk would you be modelling please? Or is it fictitious tony ?

tunneroner61

Strictly speaking only the Hymeks were two tone whilst in green - the main body colour was loco green with a 'lime' green stripe at the bottom. Same on a Deltic. The 47s (excuse me Brush type 4s as they were known as back in the 60s) were genuinely two tone as were a few BR/Sulzer type 2s (24s and 25s).

TMcG1959

Strictly speaking I'm not really bothered about regions though I always had fond memories of the Lake District, if thats any clue. IMy model will be a fictitious location so I don't need to scratch build anything. I want to lift as much as I can off the shelf. Remember, I come from years of scratch building absolutely all my wagons from the w-irons, springs and brake levers to the entire body - i've no energy nor interest in scratch building anymore.

crewearpley40

A type 2 ( 24 / 25 ) with 3 coaches or a type 4 ( 47 ) with a rake of maroon coaches will look fine. A fond memory of the lake district either the Cumbrian coast or my favourites the Settle Carlisle and around shap / tebay when not spoilt with overhead wires and structures

Newportnobby

Agree with the above and would maybe throw in a class 40 (E.E. Type 4) as well, along with a 2 or 3 car green DMU

steve836

Being as the Lake district is Midland territory how about a peak.
KISS = Keep it simple stupid

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations