Wedding gift

Started by upnick, September 06, 2011, 09:02:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

upnick

Hi  All,  

In  just over a  week   i   have a wedding to go to    both  work   with me  & they  have  got all  they need  between them  for their home   etc  & have said in their invites they dont have a gift  list at all but  anyone feels they want to give a gift of cash  it wouldnt go amiss, which it never does of course not as much  thought  but still   a gift,   my  question is what do you all  think  is  a reasonable gift of cash  to  them on their wedding day given i   think  a lot of them   & am very happy they are getting together.

4x2

That's an awkward one... I would say a tenner is too tight and £100 is too much, best bet i think is £60 - £80ish. That way you would seam to be doing your bit, without trying to out shine the other guests - unless of course you're all minted, in which case you best add a zero ! :smiley-laughing:

Best of luck !
If it's got rails... you have my full, undivided attention - Steam, diesel and electric, 'tis all good !

Mike

longbridge

I'm not keen on that cash business, what we do is buy a voucher to be redeemed at a shop, for example our Grandkids get a $20 voucher to spend at a record shop, our kids buy us a voucher to be spent at a supermarket chain where we can buy clothes or food, I assume you can do that back home ???
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

poliss

I was just thinking the same myself. I'd have been far too embarassed to ask for cash. For my second wedding I asked for a mains plug.  ;D

Newportnobby

Hi Nick - I think it depends on how long you have known/been working with them. If a short time I would go £20 but if it's a while and (as you're invited to the wedding) they are good friends/colleagues I wouldn't go less than £50-£75 if your pocket will stand it. I know you say you think a lot of them, and I think if it was me I would consider that a generous gift.
I bet they haven't got a collection of NGF mugs ;D

4x2

Quote from: newportnobby on September 06, 2011, 09:41:05 PM
Hi Nick - I think it depends on how long you have known/been working with them. If a short time I would go £20 but if it's a while and (as you're invited to the wedding) they are good friends/colleagues I wouldn't go less than £50-£75 if your pocket will stand it. I know you say you think a lot of them, and I think if it was me I would consider that a generous gift.
I bet they haven't got a collection of NGF mugs ;D
Nice plug ! :smiley-laughing:
If it's got rails... you have my full, undivided attention - Steam, diesel and electric, 'tis all good !

Mike

longbridge

Quote from: poliss on September 06, 2011, 09:40:41 PM
I was just thinking the same myself. I'd have beeb far too embarassed to ask for cash. For my second wedding I asked for a mains plug.  ;D

Good for you Poliss, I know when I got Married the 3rd time I was just happy to see somebody turn up.
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

4x2

Mike

Chris

If you know where they are going on honeymoon then you could always get some money in the currency of their honeymoon destination. We've done that several times, usually around £30-£50 depending on how close family/friends they are.

findus

Quote from: Chris on September 06, 2011, 10:08:00 PM
If you know where they are going on honeymoon then you could always get some money in the currency of their honeymoon destination. We've done that several times, usually around £30-£50 depending on how close family/friends they are.

This is the best option!! having just been married any money you get you put into the bank only to cover the cost of the wedding, we asked for honeymoon funds and ended up with just under 1000 euro`s  ;D if everybody did the same thats an amazing amount to have wile away and gives you plenty of options  :thumbsup:

Or even better still buy them a chomp each  :smiley-laughing:

upnick

Quote from: Chris on September 06, 2011, 10:08:00 PM

I'd never thought of this  option Chris  i'm  going to have to find out where they 're going for their honeymoon.  :thumbsup:

EtchedPixels

If it needs to be model rail themed how about a bag of peco wheels and a note saying that after the wedding bill arrives it'll be the only 'new wheels' he can afford for a while 8)
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Sithlord75

It seems to be a bit of a trend - probably due to people remarrying or waiting for while.  What we do is give a cut crystal vase.  The logic is you never seem to have enough vases (at least around here we don't!) and then it is something which can become an heirloom in years to come.  We have a few bits and pieces (we only had a small wedding of less than 50 - and that included my cousins kids etc) and didn't need stuff (combining two households worth of gear - neither of us had been married before but we had both left home!) so the few things we have (we got cash too - which was handy but...) are very special as we can point to them as say "so and so gave that to us for our wedding".

Just a thought.
Kevin Knight
"Do or do not - there is no try"

My blog thingo can be found here: http://www.sithlordsrailwayblog.blogspot.com

michael

sorry if its already been suggested but what about gift vouchers rather than cash? Or have I just made things worse?   :-[

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations