New Post Ratings Installed

Started by guest2, December 30, 2018, 05:41:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Hello all,

We've removed the old 'Thank You' system and installed a new 'Post Ratings' system that lets you send a 'Thank You' and a lot more!

We listened to members who regularly asked for the clickable 'Thank You' to be at the bottom of a post, which this does.

Do have a look at the icons to the bottom right of this post.

FYI - We will try to merge the old 'Thank You' numbers from the old posts so that they're recognised with the new system.

Tank

I shall try to get integration so that when you get a rating, the forum can alert you.

RailGooner

I've said it before, and it's worth saying again... Mr Administrator you're spoiling us with all these upgrades. :thankyousign: :NGF:

njee20

FWIW various forums I've seen have done away with the dislike/disagree posts as it tends to cause conflict!

Tank

Yes, I thought about that. I'm happy for them to stay at the moment, but see your point as well.  :thankyousign:

njee20

Philip.

Quote from: njee20 on December 30, 2018, 07:19:00 PM
FWIW various forums I've seen have done away with the dislike/disagree posts as it tends to cause conflict!

so glad I'm not indecisive..........I think  :hmmm: :D

RailGooner

At first I was going to click the disagree icon in jest - I could see an obvious (childish) joke in disagreeing with your post.

But seriously, I believe that the disagree icon can help avoid conflict. The alternative requires one to post one's disagreement, which might then prompt a counter-post, followed by a counter-counter-post, then a counter-counter-counter-post, etc. Conflict. I think the disagree icon allows one to disagree without argument and thereby avoid conflict.

My thoughts, which recognise (without claiming to carry any more weight than) yours. :beers:

njee20

From what I can see you did click disagree? I do know what you mean, I'm pretty indifferent, but I do remember being annoyed when someone just 'dislikes' your post with no additional context!

nookfield

Getting slow response from the pop up window when clicking on View List

NeMo

Agreed; and don't see this as an improvement. The old "thank you" was a courtesy. The ratings system invites cliquey behaviour, point scoring off rivals, and all the other things that make some online forums less pleasant to be around.

The NGF is the one forum I've sticked with for many years, precisely because it's generally very friendly. I honestly don't see why it needs to be more like RMWeb. This forum has bags more N-specific information, and that's what attracted me (and doubtless other people) and I certainly don't look at RMWeb wondering why we don't have X and Y forum features!

Cheers, NeMo
(Former NGS Journal Editor)

Tank

We all view things differently and sometimes it's worth trying out new things to see if they work or not.  It's good to do research and see what other forums offer and compare to our own.  This modification is a standard modification that many forums now use (and have done for many years).  I certainly don't base this forum on any other, but value my 15 years of experience at running forums and the feedback from the users.

RailGooner

Quote from: njee20 on December 30, 2018, 07:40:43 PM
From what I can see you did click disagree

Sometimes I find it impossible to resist that childish streak within. :D

Quote from: njee20 on December 30, 2018, 07:40:43 PM
I do know what you mean, I'm pretty indifferent, but I do remember being annoyed when someone just 'dislikes' your post with no additional context!

And I can acknowledge that. I wonder how long before I'm similarly frustrated by my own petard(?). :beers:

JasonBz

I think the overall installation of a  a few buttons to express ones views on a post can save a lot of the very short "great work" or  "me too" type posts which can clog up threads.

Having them at the end of the post helps to, no more scrolling back to press the thank you button!

Maybe losing a couple of the buttons would make it a bit neater/ easier to get the right one.
For example do you really need both a dislike and disagree button, they are almost the same thing.

NeMo

Quote from: JasonBz on December 30, 2018, 08:14:18 PM
I think the overall installation of a  a few buttons to express ones views on a post can save a lot of the very short "great work" or  "me too" type posts which can clog up threads.

The "clogging up" your describe also happens to be the basic human interaction that makes this forum so friendly. Not everyone needs every post to include technical details and insight. Sometimes reading those kind words about what somebody likes encourages you to do more modelling and post more often.

Clicking a button to say "well done" removes the human aspect. It's rather like those pre-recorded announcements at stations apologising for the later running of a certain train. Worthless and empty.

Cheers, NeMo
(Former NGS Journal Editor)

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations