What part of the world are you modelling - 2014 poll

Started by Pengi, April 12, 2014, 11:08:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cutter

By "exotic" I mean very different from the place in which I live. All of my rolling stock and most other components of my planned layout have to be imported at vast expense and inconvenience and even basic research can be hard to do this far removed from the subject. For me modelling the UK is not an easy option.

I was born and raised a couple of miles from Welwyn North, and even in the years I commuted from it I paid scant attention to it. It was just there. But in finding a subject for my railway I discovered it's many strong points, and in settling on 1925-35 I learned how very different it was back then. The past is indeed a very foreign place! And with Gresley's articulated stock and A4s steaming through, not to mention the wide range of ancient and modern stock, the shunting horses, and a bewildering variety of goods traffic, it was truly exotic.

railsquid

Japan, because I live here and there's a fascinating variety of trains (and they're pretty cheap too).

If I had the time, place and money I'd love to have some sort of layout which encompassed late BR steam to all-blue era but that will have to wait a decade or two.

DWS

I'm modelling the county of Midsomer, for those who don't know it, it is located to the north east of Somerset and south west of Wiltshire.   ;) :)
Midsomer Magna - A fictional station in the West Country.

garethGG

:hellosign: I have been asked to produce a exhibition layout for Andrew Evans of AEM, it is going to be Glasgow Queen Street during the 1980s.
Does anyone have track plans or platform plans that they can scan/email to us, Andrew has checked at the National Glasgow Library and they no longer give public access to this sort of material, in case of any terrorist activity being planned.

Gareth G :searchingsign: :photospleasesign: :thankyousign:

railsquid

Quote from: garethGG on August 30, 2014, 09:03:59 PM
:hellosign: I have been asked to produce a exhibition layout for Andrew Evans of AEM, it is going to be Glasgow Queen Street during the 1980s.
Does anyone have track plans or platform plans that they can scan/email to us, Andrew has checked at the National Glasgow Library and they no longer give public access to this sort of material, in case of any terrorist activity being planned.
Damn these time-travelling terrorists... I blame that Dr. Who guy.

weave

Have voted Europe as have French, Spanish and Italian rolling stock and 1 Belgian loco.

The layout(s) never seem to get much work done as don't have much space or time. Been hoping to move for 4 years now so the dogs have a bigger garden and I have a 'man cave'/'train room'. Also, can't decide which country to focus on.

When I win the lottery, plan on building a layout from my 80's trip memories from Surrey, through France and Spain to Morocco, then back up along the cote d'azur and down to Sicily, then back through Switzerland to Ostend in Belgium, and also a few trips to Germany.

Maybe I can then vote UK, EMUs to Pompey and join the 1/148 club and Africa. They've got some interesting stuff there. French locos and what looks like American to me which would be nice to have....

http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?railroad=ONCF%20Morocco

Would need to find a livery change professional.

When you hear people saying 'how could any lottery winner spend 162,000,000 euros?'

Anyway, back to me 4'x2' not sure if northern french seaport or italian marina layout.

Cheers weave.

MJKERR

Quote from: garethGG on August 30, 2014, 09:03:59 PMI have been asked to produce a exhibition layout for Andrew Evans of AEM, it is going to be Glasgow Queen Street during the 1980s.
Does anyone have track plans or platform plans that they can scan/email to us, Andrew has checked at the National Glasgow Library and they no longer give public access to this sort of material, in case of any terrorist activity being planned
Apologies, I was in the USA when this request was posted

I have already started on a layout of Glasgow Queen Street
I agree, getting the track plan is a nightmare
However, I have had one since early 2013

JeremiahJBunyan

I don't have a complete layout. It's in the design and building stage.

I have 3 micro layouts planned (mostly fictional)
- British OO scale (industrial + TMD)
- British N scale (high speed line + station)
- Indian HO (based on a real location and all models designed and made by me)

Cheers!
J.

QLD KID

G'day,  :wave:
I do have a few photos on the forum in my file under QLD KID. I'm in the latter stages of a 5 M X 3 M Layout with 2 levels set in The Feather River area of The States. It features a model of The Keddie Wye Bridge built for me by the Late Bruce Wetzig   :angel: who we lost to Cancer last year. A brilliant model I am lucky to have it.  :thumbsup:
It s set in the late 1970's when Union Pacific was buying up all the smaller roads, Western Pacific, Southern Pacific, Burlington, Northern Pacific and Burlington Northern to name a few.
The good thing about the idea is I get to run a colourful assortment of Locos which really looks good.  :laugh:
For more information you can get me on marg_den@bigpond.net.au
Never take Life too serious we are never going to make it out alive.

The Q

In N,
Scarnish, Tiree, Argyle and Bute, Scotland, The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, Europe, the World, the Universe.

oh and it's fictional...

NeMo

Quote from: The Q on July 03, 2017, 12:52:40 PM
In N,
Scarnish, Tiree, Argyle and Bute, Scotland, The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, Europe, the World, the Universe.

oh and it's fictional...

But aren't all model railways a type of fan fiction?

http://www.kalyr.com/weblog/railways/are-model-railways-a-form-of-fanfic/

Cheers, NeMo
(Former NGS Journal Editor)

railsquid

Quote from: railsquid on August 29, 2014, 04:20:20 PM
Japan, because I live here and there's a fascinating variety of trains (and they're pretty cheap too).

If I had the time, place and money I'd love to have some sort of layout which encompassed late BR steam to all-blue era but that will have to wait a decade or two.
Eeek, 3 years later (almost), have found a way of doing the above in the space available, and have acquired stock, just lacking the time at the moment...

The Q

Quote from: Only Me on July 03, 2017, 01:45:40 PM

This is what comes of being fairly new to the forum and having the browser set to show ALL unread threads.
There is a lot to read back through it may happen again :)

Bealman

Don't worry mate, I've done it myself on more than one occasion. I now always look at the date of the post!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

NeMo

Quote from: The Q on July 04, 2017, 07:47:50 AM
This is what comes of being fairly new to the forum and having the browser set to show ALL unread threads.
There is a lot to read back through it may happen again :)

The Internet is not a book with limited pages. If you want to resurrect a thread from ten years ago because you have a follow-up question or useful input -- then go ahead.

IMO, people who moan about thread resurrection are missing the point of an online forum. Google catalogues pages by content, not just (or maybe even) the age of the page, so if you search about topic X and it happens to be discussed at length in a thread from 2007, it'll come to the top of the Google search results.

Cheers, NeMo
(Former NGS Journal Editor)

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations