what are people doing on their layout right now

Started by B1 61126, August 16, 2011, 07:59:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EtchedPixels

OO minimal radius tends to be about 14" equivalent of 7" in N and continental minimal radius.

A better rule of thumb is 2/3rds size (except for operator wells etc!)
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Kipper

Yes, I think that is the problem. If 00 track was directly proportional to N, half size would fit. Looks like I need about a 4.5 x 3 board, which is annoying as I do not have the room, which is why I made a 4 x 2 board in the first place. Oh well, continue the search for a track plan I like.

Newportnobby

This months Railway Modeller has a free pull out section of track plans.
Note - dear old Cyril Freezers plans can be somewhat optimistic as to what you can fit on the baseboard :worried:

daveg

Printed off some Peco templates to help plan some changes to Hurst Hill. The idea is to remove the track that needs auto polarity change (too expensive just now) to an 'improved' longer continuous loop and increasing the yard capacity.

And then there's the lighting circuit to do.

And finishing off the ballasting!  :thumbsdown:

Dave G

daveg

Quote from: newportnobby on November 12, 2012, 09:21:26 PM
This months Railway Modeller has a free pull out section of track plans.
Note - dear old Cyril Freezers plans can be somewhat optimistic as to what you can fit on the baseboard :worried:

Yes, I found that too. Some decent ideas to base your plan on though.

Dave G

Caz

What am I doing on my layout right now, nothing- given up, to many injuries, think I'll go back to my cross stitch and embroidery, much safer.  Sunday, knife slipped and cut into the tip of my middle finger and nail, Monday, using a hand drill, the drill broke and the bit still in the drill went into the side of my thumb, Tuesday, using a jigsaw and managed to catch my index finger on the blade, where's a bloody man when you want one   :( 

No wonder not many girls take up model railways, I'm well battle scarred and it's ruined my nails, but hell, I just love seeing those little trains go round and round so once I've healed up, stupid as I am, I guess I'll be back for more  :)
Caz
layout here
Claywell, High Hackton & Bampney Intro
Hackton info
Bampney info

daveg

Quote from: whiteswan on November 13, 2012, 08:57:52 PM
What am I doing on my layout right now, nothing- given up, to many injuries, think I'll go back to my cross stitch and embroidery, much safer.  Sunday, knife slipped and cut into the tip of my middle finger and nail, Monday, using a hand drill, the drill broke and the bit still in the drill went into the side of my thumb, Tuesday, using a jigsaw and managed to catch my index finger on the blade, where's a bloody man when you want one   :( 

No wonder not many girls take up model railways, I'm well battle scarred and it's ruined my nails, but hell, I just love seeing those little trains go round and round so once I've healed up, stupid as I am, I guess I'll be back for more  :)

I hope the injuries heal up quickly Caz. Somehow you alway seem to bash the hand that's been hurt.

Dave G

Caz

Quote from: newportnobby on November 13, 2012, 09:25:32 PM
Such devotion is above and beyond, Caz :admiration:

Here's just the bloody man you need.....

Thanks Mike that really cheered me up, what an absolute classic, up there with the four candles, I'm not quite that bad but I think I come a close second.   ;D

I normally wait until my brother comes over (he lives just along the coast) or some close friends who often come over to stay but at the moment neither are available so thought I'd have a go myself at a bit of woodwork, Bampney Village has extracted a heavy toll, could save a bit of painting though, as the blood on the plywood dries out it turns quite an earthy colour.   :)
Caz
layout here
Hackton info
Bampney info

Caz

Quote from: daveg on November 13, 2012, 09:32:32 PM

I hope the injuries heal up quickly Caz. Somehow you alway seem to bash the hand that's been hurt.

Dave G

Cheers Dave, I suppose because of the first injury I wasn't holding the wood tightly enough and of course it's the same hand that takes the hit  :(
Caz
layout here
Hackton info
Bampney info

Lawrence

Told you Rioja and layout building doesn't mix Caz  ;)

Pengi

Hope your injuries heal up quickly Caz. There is a saying that accidents occur in threes so hopefully that is your spell of bad luck over.
Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

longbridge

Just added two more sidings and getting ready to ballast  :thumbsup:
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

tadpole

Two rails good. Three better.

westie7

What am I doing on my layout right now, nothing- given up, to many injuries, think I'll go back to my cross stitch and embroidery, much safer.  Sunday, knife slipped and cut into the tip of my middle finger and nail,

My sympathies, today I finished the TPM FPA kit that I stopped at the beginning of the year.

It goes something like this... whilst carving out the centre of the wagon for the cast frame the no.10 blade slipped and plunged into my thumb. CSI would have had a field day, two stitches and lots of numbness still.

But back at it now, 6 Russell FPA's done and all digits still in place. Those brake rigging etches Bernard does for the Farish AB Chassis are.. well.. a challenge

Rgds
Mark

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations