Welcome to thefarishshed.com

Started by DesertHound, December 29, 2015, 04:48:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DesertHound

Thanks Railsquid ... working on finding an "old-style" Farish font to go with it.

Ah, that text, I'm going to re-read it later on, as somebody else pointed that out too. I'll re-word it to make it clearer. The point I was trying to get across was re the models more so than real life and I was trying to say that basicially the class 56/57 by Farish were just conversions of the 47. I'll look at it later, maybe I didn't write that bit clearly.

Thanks for the eagle eye!

Dan
Visit www.thefarishshed.com for all things Poole Farish and have the confidence to look under the bonnet of your locos!

DesertHound

Apologies to those of you who have been visiting thefarishshed today. I have been working on some updates to the website theme (how it looks) and it may take a while to get it to an acceptable stage. In the meantime, the site is still ip, and you should be able to visit all pages, however, it might not be so "easy on the eye".

Thank you railsquid for your info on the class 47/57, that has been updated.

I shall post again ince the site is how I would like it to be and hopefully there will also be some more content.

Kindest

Daniel
Visit www.thefarishshed.com for all things Poole Farish and have the confidence to look under the bonnet of your locos!

mickd247

Hi DesertHound

Your site is starting to become a great reference site for old Farish.  Have noticed today that some of the pictures have disappeared in The Shed/How to ..change split gears in the section near the end on spares / replacement parts.

Looking forward to your gallery for the 47's

Best regards

Mick

DesertHound

Quote from: mickd247 on January 24, 2016, 10:37:14 AM
Hi DesertHound

Your site is starting to become a great reference site for old Farish.  Have noticed today that some of the pictures have disappeared in The Shed/How to ..change split gears in the section near the end on spares / replacement parts.

Looking forward to your gallery for the 47's

Best regards

Mick

Thank you for the feedback Mick, you have reminded me to fix something that I didn't have time to do the other day. As I can see, it was a table that wasn't formatted correctly and so with everything out of place, it looked like there were pictures missing. Anyway, I intend to re-write this article myself (indeed I have started to do so) since the article in question is borrowed from the NGS (fully credited to them at the start of the article with a link to their site as I do not wish to pass anything off as my own if it is not). In the rush to get certain subjects up on the site I cross-referenced from other sources with credits where they are required. I think actually this is the only page, since everything else is original text.

I have taken out the incorrectly formatted table, which talked about which gears were available. I shall endeavour to expand on this in my own article. I'll try and get it up on the site this week, along with the class 47 gallery  :toot:

railsquid

Looking good - one small formatting issue requiring non-urgent attention: after posting a blog comment, the posted text appears white-on-white.

DesertHound

Railsquid

Thank you for that most observant of observations and congratulations for being the first genuine "commentator" on the site (if you don't include spammers pushing protein powders).

I shall tend to the non-urgent issue urgently and advise once tweaked.

Kindest

Daniel

DesertHound

Quote from: railsquid on January 25, 2016, 12:26:46 AM
Looking good - one small formatting issue requiring non-urgent attention: after posting a blog comment, the posted text appears white-on-white.

Took me a good few hours Railsquid but I've cracked the code! Your comment is now viewable - white on black. Thanks for bringing it to my attention and feel free to "test out" the comments boxes again!

Cheers

Dan

railsquid

Quote from: DesertHound on January 25, 2016, 03:03:50 PM
Quote from: railsquid on January 25, 2016, 12:26:46 AM

Took me a good few hours Railsquid but I've cracked the code! Your comment is now viewable - white on black. Thanks for bringing it to my attention and feel free to "test out" the comments boxes again!

Looks good, I can now see my spelling mistake  ???

Now, about those pills...

DesertHound

Dear All

This week I am running a daily feature on www.thefarishshed.com about Poole spares. Each day - and we're already on day two - I shall be opening up a drawer from the spares box to explain which spares are which, and why you might need them. For those who are familiar with working on Poole Farish, none of this might be news to you. However, for the more unfamiliar reader, it might be of interest.

Please feel free to pay a visit and post any comments you have. In order to post a comment you will have to provide an e-mail address, although this will not be visible to the public. Where it asks for your name, you may use whichever name takes your fancy (so long as it's not offensive). Railsquid on here, for example, is, errrr ... Railsquid on there.

Ultimately, the site has not been set up as a forum (we already have an excellent one here) but there is value in readers being able to comment, and others being able to respond.

As the site continues to grow I'd be more than happy to post the odd article in NGF if it's of sufficient interest to the community.

Kindest

Daniel

railsquid

Quote from: DesertHound on February 01, 2016, 09:29:58 AMRailsquid on here, for example, is, errrr ... Railsquid on there.
Railsquid is Railsquid here, there and everywhere ;)

Keep up the good work  :thumbsup:

TylerB

A very useful site! Also helped me confirm something - I have the Railfreight Coal Sector class 37 (which I'm selling now on the n-porium) and I always thought it was in the wrong box because someone had amended the box label in pen from 'class 47' to 'class 37'.

However by checking the 1994 catalogue on there, it seems it is the correct item number (8036), so all I can assume is that there was a printing error at the labelling stage and, rather than go to the expense of changing it, some poor soul at the factory had to go through them all changing the '4' to a '3'  :)

DesertHound

Hi Tyler

Tank you for visiting the site - it's being added to every week so please do come back and visit from time to time.

Just to build on your comment regarding Class 37 (8036), I believe you are correct re the mis-printing, since I have seen this on examples also, and the box of mine has also had the class 47 over-written with class 37.

I initially thought it was in the wrong box and somebody had just crossed it out themselves, since everything now is second-hand.

Thanks fir that!

Daniel

DesertHound

Apologies for multiple posts, but I thought I should mention that after speaking to a very kind Richard Deas (of Littlewood fame), I have reproduced his article on re-motoring of Poole Farish chassis, which you can find here; http://thefarishshed.com/farish-diesels-fitted-with-a-mashima-lh19-motor/

You can also find reference to this article in the depths of this forum, or via Richard's very own website http://www.deas.net/littlewood/ but I always felt it was difficult to dig out and wanted to give it greater visibility. Richard kindly obliged, so a thank you to him.

Daniel

DesertHound

Quote from: TylerB on February 10, 2016, 12:04:14 AM
A very useful site! Also helped me confirm something - I have the Railfreight Coal Sector class 37 (which I'm selling now on the n-porium) and I always thought it was in the wrong box because someone had amended the box label in pen from 'class 47' to 'class 37'.

However by checking the 1994 catalogue on there, it seems it is the correct item number (8036), so all I can assume is that there was a printing error at the labelling stage and, rather than go to the expense of changing it, some poor soul at the factory had to go through them all changing the '4' to a '3'  :)

Tyler - I have written a small article about this here http://thefarishshed.com/no-8036-the-mysterious-coal-sector-cl-47/

DesertHound

Good Morning All

For those of you who have been waiting for the start of the class 47 cataloguing, I can tell you that it is now underway. If you go to the home page (actually, it's called "Latest" instead of home) then you will see the latest posting is for the picture gallery of class 47's. I have added three to get the ball rolling.

The plan is to add one class 47 per day, until the nineteen Poole 47's are listed. You can find the link to the page on the "Latest" page www.thefarishshed.com

I would be particularly interested to know which format you prefer for the photo cataloguing of old Farish stock. In previous pictures (look at class 31 or 55 for example) I have set the locos more within a setting, but with the class 47's I have taken a "side on" picture with nothing else being prominent in the picture other than the subject matter (class 47 in this case). My one bug bear is that the left hand side cabs are slightly out of focus. I shall endeavour to correct this at a later date.

Please check back regularly over the next three weeks, since a class 47 will be added every day (in reverse catalogue order, finishing with Isambard Kingdom Brunel). After that I'll move on to the class 37's!

The pictures expand when you click on them and you can scroll through them by using the backwards / forwards arrow bottom left of the expanded picture if you wish.

Kindest

Daniel

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations