Rails of Sheffield and Accurascale to offer 00 gauge class 89

Started by Skyline2uk, May 19, 2020, 12:42:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skyline2uk

Rails sent me an e-mail today announcing they are taking expressions of interest for a 00 gauge class 89 manufactured by Accurascale.

Four livery options on offer:

Original Intercity Executive
Intercity Swallow
GNER (White Logo)
GNER (Gold Logo)

Price is estimated to be DCC Ready £179.99 and DCC Sound £269.99

Delivery expected 15 - 18 month from when green light is given

Skyline2uk

njee20

Now the question is that we know Revolution and Accurascale share a lot of projects, so will we see a downsized 89 too...?!

JPTRAIN

Quote from: njee20 on May 19, 2020, 12:47:32 PM
Now the question is that we know Revolution and Accurascale share a lot of projects, so will we see a downsized 89 too...?!

I definitely didn't go onto the Revolution website to see if such an item had appeared this morning!  :laughabovepost:

Skyline2uk

:laughabovepost:

I think if that had happened the NGF would have melted by now.

Also note that I didn't speculate in my OP about downsizing or an N gauge version. The fact that I would get one is neither here now there, just stick to the facts me  :angel:

Skyline2uk

njee20

I'm really conflicted on an N gauge one. It seems to have a bit of mystique and appeal for a lot of modellers (myself included, despite having never actually seen it), but it's been out of service for more of its life than in! If Revolution did 'copy' Accurascale than 4 liveries feels punchy, particualrly doing both GNER variants, the silver logo was very short lived IIRC.

I'd probably think of a reason to have one for railtour use; particularly if it came back for that purpose IRL.

exmouthcraig

Brave choice!!!!!

I had to google it to know what an 89 is.......

Only 1!!!!!!!!! Built

First run 1987 for BR
Last run 1992 for BR

First run 1997 for GNER
Went bang in 2001 for GNER

Never done anything since!!,

Well if it gets produced then theres hope for alot of other stuff then surely????

Skyline2uk

Quote from: njee20 on May 19, 2020, 01:10:20 PM
I'm really conflicted on an N gauge one. It seems to have a bit of mystique and appeal for a lot of modellers (myself included, despite having never actually seen it), but it's been out of service for more of its life than in! If Revolution did 'copy' Accurascale than 4 liveries feels punchy, particualrly doing both GNER variants, the silver logo was very short lived IIRC.

I'd probably think of a reason to have one for railtour use; particularly if it came back for that purpose IRL.

I have absolutely no reason to have one, but that mystique you mention applies and I defo want a Swallow version.

I agree ref the two GNER liveries, would be interested to see if they both survive to opening of order book phase.

Quote from: exmouthcraig on May 19, 2020, 01:14:56 PM
Brave choice!!!!!

I had to google it to know what an 89 is.......

Only 1!!!!!!!!! Built

First run 1987 for BR
Last run 1992 for BR

First run 1997 for GNER
Went bang in 2001 for GNER

Never done anything since!!,

Well if it gets produced then theres hope for alot of other stuff then surely????

In principle you are correct, but "The Badger" has a special place in many peoples hearts.

Yes only one produced, but it was lucky really to see any BR use at all, given it was a prototype that had its potential orders cancelled before it was even finished.

The fact it had a second spell of use in privatisation is even more unlikely.

The real thing is progressing towards being operational again, so no doubt that will re-kindle interest.

Who knows, if it emerges in a new or even slightly different livery from its current refit, that could be another "special" run for the model right there.

Skyline2uk

Roy L S

Personally this is one that I can see making the cut in 00 given the larger market, but I can't see it getting over the line in N. That said I would happily be proved wrong!

Roy

Kaput

Worth remembering that Accurascale will be using their Class 92 chassis to assist in making this feasible easier/quicker and while they have full control over their Class 92 tooling and its factory, Revolution's Class 92 (which could provide a chassis for the 89 in N) is being made by Rapido so theres a whole potential minefield there for any sort of working together for an N gauge 89.

acko22

Quote from: Only Me on May 20, 2020, 12:02:45 AM
Its at Toton now having a repaint....

Hi all,

So as Paul rightly says it is at Toton right now having a repaint!

From an engineering perspective I have no doubt that it will see the mainline again, the loco has commonality with 90,91 and 92 with different components on the 89 appearing on the aforementioned classes!
Of course saying that these parts aren't cheap but are still readily available!

So as long as either the AC loco group or potentially as certain LSL have the money they are willing to invest then the Badger will return!
One thing that despite there only been one of the class that  thinking about it now goes for this is it's legacy, with the exception of the class 90 (incidentally one of the class that caused it's demise) It was the only AC class designed to with the intent for passenger use on both the ECML and WCML (all previous and the 91 were designed with a specific route in mind), a lot of the internals set up is what is used on the Eurotunnel class 9 locos (car ferry ones), and well the 89 was used to test and bed in portions of the ECML (but then again given its chequered history that could explain why the ECML seems to have more OHL issues than the ECML  :smiley-laughing:)
So while it is a one off what it has achieved and the legacy it left in it's wake does give credence to the special interest no other AC loco seems to generate!
Mechanical issues can be solved with a hammer and electrical problems can be solved with a screw driver. Beyond that it's verbal abuse which makes trains work!!

acko22

Quote from: crewearpley40 on May 20, 2020, 02:23:11 AM
The latest on the 89 in march this year  ....   https://www.aclocogroup.co.uk/index.php/latest-news/33-class-89-overhaul-update

Interesting in that article they have opted to replace the batteries like for like, both the class 86 and 90s began to change to a newer more resilient gel based battery beginning almost 10 years ago, I know the gel type batteries are small and weigh less but that's why you install bloody heavy sheets of metal as ballast!
Mechanical issues can be solved with a hammer and electrical problems can be solved with a screw driver. Beyond that it's verbal abuse which makes trains work!!

crewearpley40

Interesting views there. Appreciated. Here was the situation 
..   https://www.therailwayhub.co.uk/7858/unique-class-89-makes-a-ghostly-appearance/ but few good to see the 89 in a fresh scheme

Graham

Quote from: njee20 on May 19, 2020, 12:47:32 PM
that was also my first thought when i saw this thread.

ECMLfan

If it would come to N I would be happy to put an order in for 2 loco's. One in Intercity and one for GNER livery.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations