Special Alt Characters

Started by colpatben, November 21, 2014, 05:04:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

colpatben

Whilst posting on another topic last evening I used a symbol that is generated by using the Atl Key and the numeric keypad that is to the right of the keyboard (Not  the numbers above the Alpha characters).

ie for 21DegC I want 21°C. So I type 21 then press and hold the Alt key whilst entering the number 248 then release the Alt key and ° appears.

For this to work the Num Lock must be on (press the Num Lock key and if your keyboard has a Num Lock light this will be illuminated, or you may get a symbol in the toolbar to say Num Lock is on).

For those using UK keyboards who need accented characters this is invaluable.

Alt Plus 133 à
Alt Plus 134 å

Alt plus 13 is ♪
Alt plus 12 is ♀

this link is simple to understand

http://www.tedmontgomery.com/tutorial/ALTchrc.html

Or Google Alt Codes for many other links.

Please note that not all Alt symbols will be replicated by the forum text editor but in MS word and other word processor programs they should be.

I hope that this is not removed by a moderator, so please do not fill posts with unnecessary symbols.

Have fun Alt Plus 1 ☺
We never have problems, only solutions!

Current DCC Project

Involved in Bexhill West to Crowhurst

Now Sold Ensbourne

Colin

Sprintex

Quote from: colpatben on November 21, 2014, 05:04:05 AM
I hope that this is not removed by a moderator,

Not sure why you think it would be, quite a helpful piece of information :thumbsup:

Paul

colpatben

Paul

Shall I take the statement out?, I am always concerned that some topics are more trouble that they are worth.

Colin

Current DCC Project

Now Sold Ensbourne

Colin

Sprintex

Nah, if people start posting endless lists of characters we'll just delete them :D

Paul

Bealman

What statement? I'm just looking at this too, and have to agree with Paul... it's a useful post! I for one didn't know a lot of that stuff.  :thumbsup:

And as Paul says, we'll just get the blue pencil out.  :D
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

colpatben

Thanks for the comments.

I am sure it will be useful for some ex pats using UK keyboards in foreign lands.

Current DCC Project

Now Sold Ensbourne

Colin

Caz

Another way of accessing special characters when using Windows is to go to "Programs", "Accessories" and then select "Character map".   Click on the symbol you want, click copy (or Control C) and paste into where you want it. 
Caz
layout here
Claywell, High Hackton & Bampney Intro
Hackton info
Bampney info

Bealman

:offtopicsign:

Oh, Good Morning Caz.. I guess there's no point in me motoring out to Dapto then?

BACK TO TOPIC....  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Dorsetmike

Some easier ones to remember that don't use the numbers. holding Alt Gr and keying the vowels gives accents as  á é í ó ú,  with shift as well (obviously)  gives Á É Í Ó Ú ;  Alt Gr and $ gives a euro symbol €.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

EtchedPixels

All depends upon the OS.

Linux for example suppose compose keys so you type the compose combination (shift-alt) release then the two letters to get the result (eg a and ' gives á, ss gives ß etc)

On windows If you know the code you can type any unicode character with alt  the numeric pad + then the hex code of the symbol (although windows only supports a subset of unicode).  On linux its ctrl-shift-U then the code. This allows you to type in things like gears ⚙   8)

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

njee20

There are hundreds of these, for some reason the only one I can ever remember is entirely useless, which is Alt+0223, which gives the German symbol for a 'double s', even they don't use it as much anymore!

Sehr groß!

Newportnobby

An alternative could be to type your post in 'Word', use the 'Insert' > 'Symbol' feature then just cut and paste into the forum. The world is your lobster :)

woodbury22uk

I use these regularly when posting on French forum pages. But on one forum the combination for à (ALT+0224) exits the post! I'll try to use Mike's suggestion of ALT GR plus some key or other to get there in future.
Mike

Membre AFAN 0196

Malc

I've found the feature useful when working abroad with foreign PCs with bokmal keyboards and no £ sign
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations