what are people doing on their layout right now

Started by B1 61126, August 16, 2011, 07:59:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerry Howlett

You've done a great job on the station and the garage.

Be warned though the Scalescenes range can be addictive I think Ive spent more time building them than I have ever spent on the actual layout.
Oh and I am talking years of building..
Jerry
Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

MinZaPint

Well I've finally managed to finish the Scalescenes goods shed, was a little worried about the wagon openings but inspiration struck and I found a pint glass (now where did that come from?) rim was a perfect former. The shed windows were cut using a coin, so here it is in situ and as you can see Palmers brewery have just made a delivery so off to have a couple before supper  :pint: and looking at the colour of the beer in that smiley reminds me of a lovely stout (5%!) from Sixpenny brewery that I had during the week.

Next up will be a small pub for the station yard, I'm hoping the lock Keepers cottage with appropriate signage will look the part. As Jerry Howlett has said early signs of addiction
but after that I must try and make the yard scene, surfaces etc.
Cheers  David
Cogito Sumere potum alterum

crewearpley40

Looking good what you have created thus far. Will take time to construct and achieve the best result with those scalescene buildings, have ordered some myself

exmouthcraig

Currently measuring from aerial photographs exactly where the trees on the embankments are to be planted.  :doh:

We have a box of 100 trees we acquired at a show a couple of years ago, these will be used to plug the holes and then a long trawl through line side photographs to match up the type of tree to the best one we have available.

It is quite amazing how the addition of some plastic and flock covered lumps adds a massive amount to a layout.

Pjlons83

Recently I've been persevering with the detail on my micro-layout. It's so tempting just to throw it together and call it done at this stage but I'm really enjoying the process. It's amazing how long it takes to palletise oil drums and bags of flour in N gauge!  :goggleeyes:

All painted, assembled and stacked throughout this afternoon/evening. Time for bed now me thinks!  :sleep:
Gold Hill - my rule 1, "just for fun" micro layout;

Clouds Hill - My first layout currently on hold;

Bealman

Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Pjlons83

Quote from: Bealman on January 18, 2020, 11:25:47 PM
Cool!  :thumbsup:

Is that the Ratio stuff?

Thanks bealman. Yes; it's the ratio stuff. I wasn't sure so had to check. You get loads of it in the kit. I'm pretty sure it was part of a few bits I bought from NewportNobby on this forum. For a while I've been grabbing bits and pieces as and when I see them and now I'm finally getting to "play" with them! (The bits I can still find anyway!)  ::)
Gold Hill - my rule 1, "just for fun" micro layout;

Clouds Hill - My first layout currently on hold;

PGN

Right now, I'm trying to marshal all my stock into permanent trains so that when the layout is ready to go to exhibitions, I have the trains I need to work it.

It's really helping me to focus on my outstanding projects, prioritise them, and bring them to fruition one by one.

Current focus is on brake vans, to get a few more goods trains out there ...
Pre-Grouping: the best of all possible worlds!

I would rather build a model which is wrong but "looks right" than a model which is right but "looks wrong".

jpendle

Check out my layout thread.

Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39501.msg476247#msg476247

And my Automation Thread

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=52597.msg687934#msg687934

chrism

I've got the signals working on Woodland, although one of them needs a little "guide" fitting to stop the solenoid plunger rotating and preventing the signal returning to the correct danger position. That can wait until I next take the baseboards up since the baseboard level is neither right for kneeling under nor crouching under so I'll do it with the baseboard up on edge some time.

Having done that, I'm working on Woodland's signal box - just the chimney to do, probably today, and the steps when the materials arrive. I've "cheated" with this one. I wasn't overly happy with the windows on Coniston's box so I bought a couple of the Ratio signal box interior kits and used the etched windows from those. Having found that these windows give a better view of the interior than my efforts on Coniston's  box I also used the frame base and levers from the kit, along with the stove and part of the instrument frame.

At the same time (not literally, I only have two hands) I'm preparing the trackbed levels for Broughton. The track through the original platform was two or three feet higher than that in the adjacent goods yard with a pretty prominent supporting wall that needs to be included. However, the baseboard design, to match up with my modular fiddle yard, is flat so I'm elevating the up platform track by 5.5mm and putting in a gentle gradient from the lefthand side baseboard join up to it and down again to the righthand side baseboard join.
Halfway up the left hand side, the goods yard access comes off and needs to descend about 3mm to the original baseboard surface, which has been a little tricky since I need to avoid twisting a  point so it won't become unreliable nor a running problem. Pretty sure I have it cracked so the next job is to smooth out some of the "steps" where I've used several thicknesses of ply to do the elevations then I can start to pin down track and test it thoroughly before fixing it permanently. I suspect that I may also need to move/shorten one sublevel brace by an inch or so to give room for one point motor.

I've also been experimenting with the level crossing system for Broughton. Woodland's had to be quite complex because it had two gates hinged on diagonally opposite posts so the gates had to arranged to be moved sequentially, in the right order and started/stopped individually. This required two rotors with magnets fitted, six reed switches and seven latching relays to control both gates and the track power each side, especially since the darned thing was built over a point so there were three track sections to be controlled, one of them interlocked with a signal.
At Broughton it was a more standard four-gate crossing - because the road was wider than the railway - which means that all four gates can be moved at once without any of them fouling another. The plan is to have four gearwheels below the baseboard, meshed in a square arrangement and with the gate hinge posts as extensions of the gearwheel shafts. I also won't need so many relay contact sets for the track power either side because it's just a single track, not over a point, so just two track sections to control, each interlocked with a signal.

PGN

Pre-Grouping: the best of all possible worlds!

I would rather build a model which is wrong but "looks right" than a model which is right but "looks wrong".

andy911john

Laying track..remembering to add power feeds BEFORE going down....https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/Smileys/NGF/veryangry.gif
Having nightmares about how much ballasting I have to do.https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/Smileys/NGF/goggleeyes.gif
Pics to follow
The build is in pursuit of re-creating the layout of my childhood.  (45years later)  not using DCC (yet)  have many many old locos not all super detailed but all memorable.

Ted

I've ordered loads of goodies to keep me busy this weekend.

I'm playing with Arduino Uno to create a programming track using DCC++ and JMRI.

In addition, I'll be creating a scale train speedometer (aka a Speed Trap)! This will be using infrared and an Arduino Nano, with digital display output.

Yes, I'm nerding out. :D

Just call me Ted, or Edward... or Ed.

Just not Eddie.

Layout & Updates > Midlands Coal & Freight, Late 1980's

snitchthebudgie

For East Surrey N Gauge, helping build our new fiddle yard, ready (I hope) for NGSE 2020.

At home, putting a little weight onto Farish Conflats, gluing the containers on, and fitting N Brass chains.

I've also had a good sort out of things in the man-loft...  And found a few items that I'd forgotten that I had!

Sheffie

Just installed the double track catenary poles on the main line loop.
There's a fine line between a terrible paint job and a masterpiece of weathering.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations