The angry thread

Started by findus, March 29, 2011, 09:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daffy

With my electricity bill up by 25% in the last year (with no increase in usage) and a currently predicted rise in the 'cap' of about 50% in April this year (and maybe a further 20 to 25% in October), next years payment to us cold'n'old folks might just be enough to cover the increased cost of a single cold week or so next winter. :(  :cold:

It's certainly not a wet fish slap, and I'm grateful to receive it out here in the cold and freezing wilds of darkest, flattest, windswept Lincolnshire, but here's hoping it will be brought into line with reality for next winter.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Bob Tidbury

I think something must be wrong with our smart meter display normally with just the tele and sky box on it is green ,if I put the kettle on it goes orange and with the toaster or cooker  it goes red ,So far today  its been orange or red all the time .We have even turned the heating down to save money on the gas its now locked on 18 degrees during the day and 16 at night .
At this rate I will turn every thing OFF and stay in bed all day and night .
Bob Tidbury

nabber

Quote from: Bob Tidbury on January 06, 2022, 02:43:30 PM
So far today  its been orange or red all the time .
Bob Tidbury
It could be that something somewhere is switched on and you didn't realise. Have you got an electric immersion heater in your hot water cylinder? Has that got switched on by mistake? Or something else with a heater - iron, washing machine, tumble dryer?

Neil

Newportnobby

Quote from: Bob Tidbury on January 06, 2022, 02:43:30 PM
We have even turned the heating down to save money on the gas its now locked on 18 degrees during the day and 16 at night .
At this rate I will turn every thing OFF and stay in bed all day and night .
Bob Tidbury

Bob - you should not be doing that. I would say you are medically 'at risk'. Please contact your power supplier and inform them what is going on.

dannyboy

I agree with Mick. It certainly sounds that something isn't right. I would be inclined to ring the supply company and let them know. They could probably do some sort of check to see whether it is the meter at fault or not.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Dorsetmike

Immersion heater can be a culprit as stated above; I would suggest checking every socket in every room - maybe an electric convector heater is on in a room you don't use often, also check cooker - oven and rings. Do you have fuses or circuit breakers, if circuit breakers you could switch off individual circuits to try and find which circuit - if any- is possibly causing the problem.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

thebrighton

Similar thing happened to my father in law. He'd turned a dehumidifier on in his conservatory and hardly ever venturing out there forgot about it for months. A very large bill followed.

Newportnobby

Just another example of the world going mad..............

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/midget-gems-renamed-disability-campaigner-161201776.html

If anyone has a certain model of MG then you must rename it, and we certainly only used mini submarines in WW2 ::) ::) :veryangry: :veryangry: :veryangry:

dannyboy

I am not sure which annoys me most - the fact that someone has complained about the word 'midget', or the fact that Marks and Spencers have renamed the midget gems!  :goggleeyes:

Sorry, I have just used that word twice, my apologies to the vertically challenged members in our society.  ;)
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

guest311

here again, and this time I'm angry at .........

MYSELF !

MOT due today at 15:45, so yesterday did a full check of it, levels, lights etc and it started fine while I checked the lights etc.

went out today at 15:30, all planned, drop car at garage, wa;lk down to Tesco, then wander back to collect car.....

:censored:

very cold night last night, heavy frost etc, and must have knocked the battery down as car turned over but wouldn't start  >:(

chucked the charger on  for five minutes, then triad again

still non start  :censored:

had to phone the garage and cancel, then re-book for next tuesday, at 08:00  :'(

never thought to try it earlier, as I didn't have any errands to run.

daffy

Could be down to the exceptionally damp cold weather we are having lately causing condensation issues with your plug wiring. I've noted unusual extreme interior condensation the last few mornings in my car, as well as under the bonnet yesterday as I checked washer fluid levels. Even had condensation on outside of my dash dials, which I've never noted before.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

guest311

trouble is it's a diesel, so takes more out of the battery to get the compression to fire. petrols I always kept sprayed with duck oil over the electrics.

did go out once when I was on the AA to a lady whose car wouldn't start in the damp, she'd been sold easistart by Halfords and told to spray it over the electrics before trying again.

needless to say I took it off her very quickly, ether and sparks are not a good mix  :hmmm:

Dorsetmike

Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Newportnobby

Quote from: class37025 on January 13, 2022, 04:37:18 PM
chucked the charger on  for five minutes, then triad again

I see the Chinese get the blame, again :D

Malc

We used to use diesel generators to power our equipment when on site. They were ex WW2 searchlight generators. Horizontally opposed 4s. Easy start was mandatory to get them going, they got addicted to the stuff. Mind you, so did I.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations