What's up with RMweb recently?

Started by railsquid, December 23, 2021, 12:27:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

njee20

Coyote

Quote from: njee20 on December 23, 2021, 10:33:20 PM
Indeed!
Agree, almost unusable at times on an iPad, slightly better on a PC with an adblocker.
Visit Mossdale's YouTube channel for a view of a 1920's LMS railway in North Yorkshire or Mossdale Road for some shunting

https://youtube.com/@MossdaleNGaugeRailway

tunneroner61

Sorry but being something of an old f**t and ignorant of forum speak what does STW mean?

njee20

Singletrack World. The cycling forum I was referring to, of which coyote is also a user!

railsquid

Quote from: dannyboy on December 23, 2021, 09:58:47 PM
Quote from: railsquid on December 23, 2021, 12:27:14 PM
both pointless and highly annoying. Or is it just me?

I don't think any one would describe you as "pointless and highly annoying" Ian.   ;)

Clearly you have never met  my co-workers :P

Anyway this is what I see more often than not when accessing the site (usually after a delay of quite a few seconds):

It's their prerogative if they want to show more ads of course, but it would help if there's something else to see... Anyway from this thread I understand it's a known issue and hopefully will be resolved.

Trainfish

Quote from: jpendle on December 23, 2021, 09:33:10 PM
The "problem" with RMWeb is the sheer number of very knowledgeable people who use it.

That may well be true John but too often I have seen people shot down, ridiculed, posts deleted etc if their knowledge isn't up to a certain standard on RMWeb. There's absolutely no need for that. I avoid the place unless someone posts a link on here to something which I may find useful. Or if I want to annoy someone of course as they bite so easily over there  >:D
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

Bealman

Yeah, the only time I ever go there is through a link on here.

:NGF:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

chrism

Quote from: jpendle on December 23, 2021, 09:33:10 PM
If I wanted to know which style of lamp irons were used on an 1897 vintage Furness Railway kettle, someone there would probably have the answer.

Unlikely - the FR didn't get any new locos in 1897. However, the 1896 Sharp Stewart built K2s (Larger Seagulls) appear, from one photo, to have the type of lamp irons where the bracket is on the back of the lamp.
:P

tunneroner61

Quote from: njee20 on December 23, 2021, 10:52:38 PM
Singletrack World. The cycling forum I was referring to, of which coyote is also a user!

Thanks njee. I thought it might be a new one of those TLAs like HTH or LOL.

railsquid

Quote from: tunneroner61 on December 24, 2021, 09:28:25 AM

Going off-topic (hey it's my thread), am I the only one who keeps reading "BRB" as "British Railways Board"?

ntpntpntp

Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

njee20

I can see why, without context it made little sense! Secret code for us cyclists ;D

Trainfish

Quote from: railsquid on December 24, 2021, 09:45:52 AM

Going off-topic (hey it's my thread), am I the only one who keeps reading "BRB" as "British Railways Board"?

LOL ! (and no, that's not Lots Of Love)
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

jmupton2000

RMWeb is basically only viewable with an armada of adblockers set to full block, even then that doesn't deal with the frequent server issues that now seem to plague it.

People keep posting on RMWeb about slow performance and 'What is with all the adverts?' type questions but the threads are quickly locked and any mention of using adblockers even just to make the site actually readable gets quickly leapt upon by the Management.

I think I will be spending more time here in the future.  Any site that refuses access to me because I have an adblocker will no longer get my custom.

njee20

They don't mind you using an ad blocker, they don't want you telling everyone to use ad blockers. Hardly unreasonable.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £35.23
Below Goal: £64.77
Site Currency: GBP
35% 
April Donations