Dapol Maunsell coaches

Started by Dorsetmike, January 29, 2020, 11:38:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dorsetmike

Has anybody tried hacking any of these to make either open thirds or restaurant cars; alternatives I've thought of are using Worsley Works etched sides either cutting out the Dapol sides or filing them down otherwise finnding someone to 3D print sides or complete bodies.

Worsley do the open thirds but the restaurant/kitchen are still listed as TBA however the LSWR IRonclad restaurant is listed, these are all currently in 2mm finescale so I've emailed Allen asking if they can be done in N gauge.

Next thing will be to find some cheap suitable Dapol Maunsells, made an offer on some on Ebay, fingers crossed.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Fardap

They were on the collectors club winter specials list at £14 each (£28 rrp) not sure if you would want to attack a brand new one though...
They have and I didn't realise pickups for lighting bars and also extendable corridor connections

exmouthcraig

They are fantastic coaches. I dont know how they measure up against prototype but I have a good few to make up sets and loose stock and for all of Dapols negatives I can find no fault with them whatsoever.

I took one apart to weather and found about the light bar pick ups, the corridor connections work extremely well but as for hacking them up..... NO net yet, I'm still waiting for Ray at BHE to hopefully get his machine sorted for Bulleid restaurant cars. Maybe this year!!!

Bob G

Different era but I'd like one of these. A cut and shut from a real Maunsell CK. Just like the Southern to do this :)
Looks good on what had been the corridor side. Then you see the other side, and woah! maybe you would have to cut two CKs!
She was converted in 1962 from Maunsell Hastings CK no. S5600S, so a slimmer inspection saloon than the NGS version.
Might be easier to do this as a 3D print, as the sides lack much in the way of tumblehome.
Easy paint job too.

Es at Waterloo 1966

Es at Tonbridge 1963

Renumbered DS70155 at Hither Green and still in green but with small yellow panel 1970

DS70155 at Clapham 1987 (she went all blue with FYE in 1971)

Interesting eh?
Bob

Dorsetmike

Well won 4x Maunsell coaches on Ebay, £68 = £17 each, Email from Allen at Worsley says sides only are doable. So fingers crossed - "watch this space"
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Dorsetmike

@Bob G if you're not too fussy on length the inspection saloon should be doable from an old Farish"main line". It's fairly easy to resize the windows and to add windows to the ends, I've done similar for Push pull driving ends.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

Bob G

Quote from: Dorsetmike on January 29, 2020, 03:48:44 PM
Well won 4x Maunsell coaches on Ebay, £68 = £17 each, Email from Allen at Worsley says sides only are doable. So fingers crossed - "watch this space"
That sounds like a plan!

Dorsetmike

I did the artwork for the sides  a while ago hopefully at that time to fit the older Farish main line coaches, I'll probably need to resize that by a few mm and print onto self adhesive clear plastic.

Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

Dorsetmike

Would anybody be interested in etched brass sides for Maunsell open 3rds and/or Ironside restaurant cars? The ironclad restaurants did run in trains with Maunsell coaches. The sides should fit over the older Farish "main line" coaches, the difference in length between the Dapol and Farish is less tha 1mm, just the Dapols have better roof, ends and bogies etc

The reason I've chosen Ironside restaurants in preference to Maunsell ones is that the Maunsells had recessed double doors to the kitchen which would be a PITA to fit self adhesive sides - plastic or paper. The recessed doors on the ends of the open 3rds are much less a problem.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

Chris in Prague

I would be interested in etched brass sides for Maunsell open 3rds but to male a BR Maunsell P&P Set. There is another alternative though for these coaches, a 3D printed body on a Dapol Maunsell coach chassis. There is a guy on Shapeways making £D printed pre-BR coaches who likes the SR and has the necessary scale plans. I have some spare cheap BR Crimson & Cream Maunsells that could provide the chassis. I think he'd definitely be especially interested in DS70155.

On the subject of Dapol Maunsells, have the high window ones been released, yet?

Bob G

Quote from: Chris in Prague on February 25, 2020, 08:59:03 PM
I would be interested in etched brass sides for Maunsell open 3rds but to male a BR Maunsell P&P Set.

Dapol seem to be doing something like this with their re-engineered M7 and high window P&P set they are promising their club members. Just dont know when. After the WC allegedly. No idea what prototype its modelled on, or if it will have driving trailer windows, or what?

There is another alternative though for these coaches, a 3D printed body on a Dapol Maunsell coach chassis. There is a guy on Shapeways making £D printed pre-BR coaches who likes the SR and has the necessary scale plans. I have some spare cheap BR Crimson & Cream Maunsells that could provide the chassis. I think he'd definitely be especially interested in DS70155.

Now that is a great idea! I'm up for one that fits a chassis directly. That would be amazeballs (sorry).

On the subject of Dapol Maunsells, have the high window ones been released, yet?

Not yet. Dont know if their product tube needs a stent to help it flow better, perhaps?
Or even the removal of some OO and O gauge that is blocking the flow.

Bob

Chris in Prague

Thanks for your very quick reply, Bob.

The guy is: Simon Dawson <recreation21@hotmail.co.uk>
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com/3D-printing/3d_printed_sg-trains1.htm

He has produced 3D printed bodies for the SR Class W 2-6-4 loco, IoW and Mainland O2s and the two PDSWJR 0-6-2Ts and is looking at the Beattie Well Tanks, too.

SR coaches are here: http://www.rue-d-etropal.com/3D-printing/3d_printed_sg-trains2-southern.htm

Definitely worth asking him doe any SR coaches not available RTR.

Best regards,
Chris (in Prague)

Bob G

I have his W class 2-6-4T.
It's a nice print.
I will definitely talk to him about the inspection saloon
Bob

longbow

A 3D body print is an interesting idea, but how would you deal with the windows? I assume the Dapol donor coaches have custom moulded plastic inserts to provide the flush windows.

Bob G

Quote from: longbow on February 26, 2020, 04:25:55 AM
A 3D body print is an interesting idea, but how would you deal with the windows? I assume the Dapol donor coaches have custom moulded plastic inserts to provide the flush windows.

You do what all manufacturers used to do. Thin acetate sheet against a relatively thin body. With the recessed windows its not a significant issue.
Bob

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations