Show your Latest GB Loco and Rolling Stock Purchase.

Started by longbridge, June 30, 2012, 09:05:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

anselm

I hesitate to show my recent acquisition after earlier postings but the milk wagons and guards van were a Christmas present.
[smg id=9217]
Ian

Alex

1936ace

Hi Ian
The milkers look great I'm looking at it on the phone so my eyes are pushed a bit are they the dapol six wheelers if so do they ride better then the peco tankers. Behind the 22 they look spot on
Bart

trainsdownunder

Quote from: Agrippa on January 02, 2014, 12:18:00 PM
Awesome! These locos will need something to haul so I hope you have about 300-400
wagons. :D

Don't even want to count my rolling stock. Have been acquiring stuff for sometime. Probably got around 600 pieces inc passenger cars. I do buy and resell regularly though.

Settling down now to running SF and BNSF locos only for freight. But have other passenger lines. All my UP, PRR etc will be going. SLowly cataloguing everything on speadsheets.

Bealman

That ain't a loco stud you got yourself there, Col - it's the whole US Army!!!  :o
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Newportnobby

Quote from: 1936ace on January 02, 2014, 10:21:06 PM
Hi Ian
The milkers look great I'm looking at it on the phone so my eyes are pushed a bit are they the dapol six wheelers if so do they ride better then the peco tankers. Behind the 22 they look spot on
Bart

Hi Bart,
Having had both 4 and 6 wheel tanks I wouldn't necessarily say the 6 wheelers run better.
However, following several prangs in the 12" to the foot world the 4 wheelers were limited to a speed of 40-45mph if I remember correctly, hence the move to 6 wheelers.
I stand to be corrected though :hmmm:

anselm

Quote from: 1936ace on January 02, 2014, 10:21:06 PM
Hi Ian
Bart
Hi Bart, they are the Dapol six wheelers.  I've seen no difference in ride between the 6 and 4 wheel wagons.  I was interested to see Newport Nobby's comment on 6 wheelers - I had wondered why they were made.

Ian

CarriageShed

Quote from: anselm on January 02, 2014, 05:19:38 PM
I hesitate to show my recent acquisition after earlier postings but the milk wagons and guards van were a Christmas present.
Ian

They're lovely little models, Ian. I have four myself, plus two of the four-wheelers because I'm modelling the early 1930s and can show the transition between the two. One day I'll have to add a little weathering to them, as they look far too clean when new.

Here's my latest arrival - I stumbled across this Union Mills beauty on eBay and was the only bidder. Absolute bargain! Needless to say, I was fairly gobsmacked by that as it's a beautiful runner. I cleaned it, oiled it, cleaned the wheels (filthy!) and gave it a good running-in for an hour. After all that it crept round the test track at the slowest possible speed, looking absolutely fantastic.

It already has some scruffy paint on the wheels to mask the original shine, so I can hope to add a few stains and scuffs to the bodywork over time (these locos were well worn in by the time the LMS got its hands on them. Even 1930s photos show them looking less than pristine).

Peter

port perran

The 6 wheelers were produced to allow smoother running at speed for milk traffic (especially from the West Country to the London area). The 6 wheelers were much more stable and were able to travel at express speeds. I think the 4 wheelers produced too much wobble/vibration for the milk which had a detrimental effect on it.
I think that many of the 4 wheelers were relegated to more local duties rather than long distance.
As for the N gauge version, I think they both perform well. At least they do in my mixed 4 and 6 wheel train !
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

gc4946

I've wanted a J27, but hardly any got into the used market so held back until a new batch of Union Mills J27s were made, this is my post-Xmas treat.

According to Yeadon's the preserved 65894 was allocated to Neville Hill, near where I live, between 1943-1950.
It'll accompany my J25 in LNER livery (5650) which I've owned for about ten years and bought secondhand even then and is my stand-in for a J21.

N gaugers are well served with North Eastern Rly RTR locos, there's quite a few modellers on other forums who are agitating for these to be produced RTR in OO scale.
"I believe in positive, timely solutions, not vague, future promises"

CarriageShed

Quote from: gc4946 on January 04, 2014, 11:49:32 AM
I've wanted a J27, but hardly any got into the used market so held back until a new batch of Union Mills J27s were made, this is my post-Xmas treat.

You just can't beat Union Mills locos. :) One day I will be able to treat myself to one or two of them brand new.

gc4946

I gave my J27 a quick go on my layout and it ran very smoothly round Fleischmann Piccolo 9 inch curves and through points.   :)
"I believe in positive, timely solutions, not vague, future promises"

CarriageShed

I've been having a 'quick go' on my test track with my G2 for the last couple of days :D

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations