How prototypical are you?

Started by scottmitchell74, January 25, 2014, 06:39:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PostModN66

Quote from: Chris in Prague on January 27, 2014, 07:12:52 PM

I certainly have no problem with that but I'd like to add the other lost diesel prototypes: D0280 / 1200 "Falcon" (I saw 1200, at Bristol), HS4000 (never went to U.S.S.R.; which I missed seeing), D0260 "Lion", at least!

Well, Chris, since you would have to make any of that lot yourself, you would certainly have absolution from me!

Cheers  Jon   :)
"We must conduct research and then accept the results. If they don't stand up to experimentation, Buddha's own words must be rejected." ― Dalai Lama XIV

My Postmodern Image Layouts

Lofthole http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14792.msg147178#msg147178

Deansmoor http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14741.msg146381#msg146381

Chris in Prague

Oh, and I forgot the Bulleid mainline diesels, too!

PostModN66

Quote from: Chris in Prague on January 27, 2014, 07:41:45 PM

That's a lifetimes work right there - keep us informed of progress  :D

Cheers Jon  :)
"We must conduct research and then accept the results. If they don't stand up to experimentation, Buddha's own words must be rejected." ― Dalai Lama XIV

My Postmodern Image Layouts

Lofthole http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14792.msg147178#msg147178

Deansmoor http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14741.msg146381#msg146381

Chris in Prague

Quote from: PostModN66 on January 27, 2014, 07:56:07 PM
Quote from: Chris in Prague on January 27, 2014, 07:41:45 PM

That's a lifetimes work right there - keep us informed of progress  :D

Cheers Jon  :)

Alas, I don't have that much time nor that much skill in scratchbuilding locomotives.

Tdm

I am new to N gauge although many years ago modeled in "00" gauge.
I buy engines, rolling stock, and scenic items that I like, my only criteria being it must be British Outline and can be both steam & diesel, and either Graham Farish or Dapol.

Similarly with the layout I like to see 2 trains continuously running on different tracks at the same time (therefore a minimum 2 track oval layout), and design the layout according to the space I have and don't copy any "real" designs.

I am not very good at making things so try and avoid "kits", and prefer to buy ready made buildings etc. I do use spare bits and pieces I find to make some things though, my current layout containing an Industrial area made up mainly of things I have "cobbled" together from spare household items.

Being an Ex-Pat living in Tenerife I have to import everything or pick up things at fairs & swapmeats  when I come over to the U.K. Have just had a 2 year old granddaughter & a 9 week old grandson out here, and they seemed to enjoy seeing my trains run, although their Dad (my son-in-law) might not be too happy with me as I think my granddaughter will be asking him to buy her a train set when they get home.

I guess I am not protypical then?.

Agrippa

Doesn't matter as long as you enjoy yourself.

Many members of the forum probably don't stick to strict prototypical operations (myself included) so build your layout to suit yourself, your space and your budget. The main thing is to have fun. :thumbsup:
Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

Rabs

I personally try to keep everything very prototypical (I probably go too far!).  I designed in some leeway with my layout by setting it in a location where the track plan didn't change for over 50 years, meaning that I can cover quite a wide variety of stock without being 'wrong'.
Whilst I model a real world location and real world trains I can certainly see the appeal of a 'train set' (not my phrase and not meant to be in any way derogatory).  It's definitely a personal choice and one where the only person you need to keep happy is yourself.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations