VPN - yes or no

Started by Newportnobby, December 13, 2021, 09:45:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob G

I think it's the latest fad. They have sold us virus protection, and malware protection.
Now they are flogging VPN, and search history tracking prevention (so that you don't get Amazon sending you offers for things you have looked at on the Internet).

Norton has told me I have at least 12 firms tracking my every move.
Interesting as I have been selling Julia's old frocks on EBay (she slimmed down from a 16 to an 8) so my profile must be very confusing :)

Trains and Frocks. Now who would have thought it @Trainfish

Bob

Papyrus

If you're still using Opera, Mick, there is a VPN in the package. If you click on the menu and go to 'new private window' and then click on where it says VPN at the top of the new page, there is a new menu where you can open one up.

No idea how good it is - I'm not an expert. (Except in Fred Wedlock's definition - 'ex' as in has-been, 'spurt' as in drip under pressure...)

Cheers,

Chris

dannyboy

Further to the post from Chris @Papyrus, I use 'Opera' and to the left of the address bar at the top, there is a small box with the letters VPN therein. If I click on that, I can use the VPN provided by 'Opera'. It will not let me access the BBC iplayer though, so I very rarely use it.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

dannyboy

Quote from: Newportnobby on December 14, 2021, 12:38:29 PM
I am using it as we 'speak'

That will explain why I can not 'hear' you.  :)
David.

jpendle

Quote from: dannyboy on December 14, 2021, 12:36:55 PM
I can use the VPN provided by 'Opera'. It will not let me access the BBC iplayer though, so I very rarely use it.

In order to access iPlayer the VPN needs to let you choose a server in the UK.

Regards,

John P
Check out my layout thread.

Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39501.msg476247#msg476247

And my Automation Thread

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=52597.msg687934#msg687934

emjaybee

I've always liked the 'whooshing' noise this makes as it goes over my head.

:confused2:
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

grumbeast

Quote from: Bob G on December 14, 2021, 10:41:34 AM
Interesting as I have been selling Julia's old frocks on EBay (she slimmed down from a 16 to an 8) so my profile must be very confusing :)

Trains and Frocks. Now who would have thought it @Trainfish

Bob

Ha!  I get a similair thing, do advertisers send me links to train stuff?  Nope I get loads of ads for tights, tutu's and leotards (and not even in my size sheeesh!) all thanks to my dancing daughter!

I'm with the 'don't bother' VPN crowd.  I have to use one for work from home (but we host our own) but I sign out of it before I do any personal browsing

dannyboy

Quote from: jpendle on December 14, 2021, 02:02:58 PM

In order to access iPlayer the VPN needs to let you choose a server in the UK.

Yeh I know, which is why I can not get the iPlayer. The best I can select location wise is 'Europe', (and as the UK is not in Europe ....  ::), but that is another, (banned), subject  :-X). Still, I watch the BBC via 'Freesat', so if there is owt I want to watch later, I just record it.  :)
David.

Newportnobby

Quote from: grumbeast on December 14, 2021, 02:36:57 PM
Ha!  I get a similair thing, do advertisers send me links to train stuff?  Nope I get loads of ads for tights, tutu's and leotards (and not even in my size sheeesh!) all thanks to my dancing daughter!

I suspect you've been getting mail meant for @Trainfish

Trainfish

I've probably got loyalty cards for all of those sites  :goggleeyes:
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

Malc

I used to use a VPN for work when I was abroad. It did enable me to watch BBC iPlayer when I was away but they have improved the firewall now and it stopped working with VPN.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Newportnobby

Soooo.........Avast try to flog you a VPN but don't tell you it slows down browsing and I discovered yesterday I could not access my bank's internet banking system until I turned the VPN off. What price security, eh? ::)

zwilnik

smartdnsproxy.com is a lot more effective for watching region locked content around the world. (not a VPN, although they also have a VPN option if you need one).

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations