The every day disaster movie which is Japan

Started by railsquid, February 26, 2021, 04:49:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrevL

Yeah,that's the one, must watch it all again to see if I can see the guy who took the Vid in your post.
Cheers, Trev.

Time flys like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana!

TrevL

If the water doesn't get you, the debris will! :(
Cheers, Trev.

Time flys like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana!

Bealman

That is quite terrifying footage. I remember seeing it on TV in the bowling club at the time.

What was the death toll because of that tsunami?
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

railsquid

Quote from: TrevL on July 27, 2021, 08:13:17 AM
If the water doesn't get you, the debris will! :(

Fun fact: much of the coast north of the Sendai area is very "fjord"-like, and the topography not only funnelled the water but (it was later discovered) that the tsunami scraped up silt from the seabed, which more or less doubled the impact of the water...

Quote from: Bealman on July 27, 2021, 09:04:39 AM
That is quite terrifying footage. I remember seeing it on TV in the bowling club at the time.

What was the death toll because of that tsunami?

Something like 20,000 (!).

Bealman

Interesting that it was only discovered later that the seabed came in as well.... that water was BLACK!!

The death toll does not surprise me.

railsquid

Today's leisurely Sunday morning viewing on NHK (BBC equivalent): "What if the big dormant volcano visible from Tokyo suddenly becomes undormant?"

cmason

@railsquid well Fuji will doubtless blow at some point - it has been 300 years and that is reckoned to be 100 years overdue.

And then we have either a Tokai or even bigger full-Nankai quake due at some poinnt. The accompanying tsunami with that will, for example,  wash Kamakura away again - something which has not happened for about 800 years... Kamakura tsunami simulation:

https://globalnews.ca/news/2637710/watch-japanese-officials-post-shocking-video-of-simulated-tsunami-to-generate-awareness/

Another good reason for living on the Tokyo Bay side of the Miura peninsula...... Sagami-Bay and further West are very exposed.

But still, overall Japan is a good place to live and we know the risks...

CM

Bealman

Bit more interesting than our Sunday morning serving by the state premier telling us how many covid cases we had overnight, followed by the prime minister sprouting much of the same.  :worried:

railsquid

This evening's M6.1 was a practical demonstration of the fact that if the earthquake is relatively close, the alarm will sound *after* the shaking starts.

TV is now broadcasting live pictures from different parts of the greater Tokyo area desperately looking for signs of, well, anything; it has just been confirmed that *no* bicycles have fallen over outside Yokohama station (I am not kidding).

railsquid

Oooh, they've found a mildly burst water main.

cmason

Hmmm @railsquid its been quite a long time since I have felt one like that - clearly defined vertical jolt - a gap - and then the surface waves.  Actually mayeb not since 1995 in Kansai ( where I woke up in the air above my bed due to the vertical... ). of course did not have the emergency management system triggering the phone screaming at you as it does these days....

Anyway - I note it was rather shaky all over Kanto https://www.jma.go.jp/bosai/map.html#8/36.829/141.57/&elem=int&contents=earthquake_map&lang=en

railsquid

Yeah, first shindo 5+ in the Kanto area since 2011, AFAIR.

Looks like it will be a long night for unfortunate elevator users and elevator management companies...

cmason

@railsquid " it has just been confirmed that *no* bicycles have fallen over outside Yokohama station (I am not kidding)."... well someone on the Brits in JP group on FB just reported a broken champagne flute, another a broken Gundam figure and another ( more seriously ) that their TV fell over and got broke - but otehrwise All Quiet on the Eastern Front.

BTW - did you ever have a go in one of the earthquake simulators? - that is a great way to get scared and start securing all the furniture...

cmason

And I am also a tad miffed - as the rest of the household had all just fallen asleep and I was just about to settle down to a bit of modelling - having just built another Diag 12 20T Coal Hopper ( Osborn's kit ) yesterday and was going to work on the finishing when the disturbance occurred. Of coruse after that there were multiple distractions. So that is put off till the weekend now.

I do rather like these Osborn's wooden kits - a pleasure to build. It is actually an LNER design as it hss the steel end stanchions rather than the NER wooden ones - but this one I think I am going to finish as NER - not a lot of people would spot the physical difference, especially from layout viewing distance and I like some variety...  it will look the part and as they say "its close enough for pit work".

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations