Welcome to thefarishshed.com

Started by DesertHound, December 29, 2015, 04:48:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DesertHound

Tank - those 159's will probably look like bananas now! They have a tendency to bow. You might be shocked once you dust them off after eight years!

Martyn - thanks for the info. I have seen neodymium magnets of the same dimensions as the Farish magnets, although the ones I saw were quite expensive relative to the cylinders. The cylinders cost GBP16.54 for 200. At 4 cylinders per loco, that's 50 equivalent Farish magnets.

I agree though that once magnet would look nice and be in keeping with the original. Do you have an example of the neodymium single magnet? If you'd care to take a picture and post it on here for us all to see, and also send me a copy, then I'd happily include it on the site, since it's a valid option.

Brail - funny you should mention oddballs! I was thinking about the Thai Railways 158 or 159 (can't remember which it is) and I wasn't aware they made a class 08 for the Dutch Railways. Again, if you have an example, or know someone who does, then it would be great to get hold of a picture. Since I'm using this forum to discuss my site, then any pics would, I'm sure, be gratefully received on here, and I could also include them in an oddball section.

I have a few resprays, some from a member on here, and they are going to be included in a respray section. That's to come though - once step at a time.

Kindest

Daniel
Visit www.thefarishshed.com for all things Poole Farish and have the confidence to look under the bonnet of your locos!

Dr Al

Quote from: DesertHound on January 11, 2016, 08:38:47 PM
I was thinking about the Thai Railways 158 or 159 (can't remember which it is)

This doodah?

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

DesertHound

That would be the one Al.

A picture on a chassis to add to the photo catalogue, preferably on some track would be much appreciated. Happy to lend credit to anything contributed.

Dan
Visit www.thefarishshed.com for all things Poole Farish and have the confidence to look under the bonnet of your locos!

Brail

I don't have one myself but I do see them fairly often at Dutch swapmeets (although at pretty hefty prices (about 80€/£60). If I would need one I would buy the recent Bachmann Farish version and repaint it.

Here are some pictures from a Dutch online auction site: http://auction.catawiki.com/kavels/2802703-graham-farish-n-100d-serie-500-600-hippel-van-de-ns

The reason why the Dutch have these is that the War Department left/sold a couple of class 11's (predecessor of class 08) to the NS after world war 2 and they were so impressed that they ended up buying 100 or so from English Electric in the 40's & 50's. Similar Victorian Railways bought a handful of them too (and renamed them F class) and I'm a bit surprised that Farish didn't do an Aussie version of the class 08 too.

DesertHound

Thanks Brail - that's most helpful. I shall get it listed on the site tomorrow.

Cheers

Daniel

Brail

Hi Daniel,
Not sure if you're going to include steamengines at one stage on your site.
But Farish also produced a Dutch steam loco Class 8800 based on their J94 with ref number 8811 & runningnumber was also 8811.
By pure coincidence I found some pictures of it on the same website as for the serie 500/600: http://auction.catawiki.com/kavels/3748525-graham-farish-stoomlocomotief-8811-van-de-ns
Bruce

Dr Al

Quote from: Brail on January 12, 2016, 08:47:28 AM
By pure coincidence I found some pictures of it on the same website as for the serie 500/600: http://auction.catawiki.com/kavels/3748525-graham-farish-stoomlocomotief-8811-van-de-ns
Bruce

Rare, but that one's not the ideal example - smokebox is on wrong, front coupling is upside down, as are the wheelsets - someone's had that apart at some point and not put it back together right!

Cheers,
Alan

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

Dr Al

Quote from: DesertHound on January 11, 2016, 11:45:08 PM
That would be the one Al.

A picture on a chassis to add to the photo catalogue, preferably on some track would be much appreciated. Happy to lend credit to anything contributed.

I'm afraid I have no chassis for this - I got it as shown, similar to the Stobart stuff. Is a tidy undamaged example though.

Cheers,
Alan

DesertHound

Brail - that's fantastic, thanks. Any other info you have regarding Farish in the Netherlands will be welcomed and I'll work on getting the pictures on the site when I get home tomorrow - I'll have to think into which category I should place them.

Al - no problem about the picture, but thanks all the same. Anomalies notes re the J94 pic and agree it's been tinkered with. I guess it will do (with annotations) until something better comes up.

Cheers

Daniel

Brail

Thanks Dr Al – I hadn't noticed this but then my knowledge of steam engines stops at Thomas The Tank engine  ::)

But I was intrigued enough to search the net for a better picture which I didn't find but instead I discovered that Farish made a Swedish version of the 08 too: http://swen.nmodell.se/diesellok.html
Strange that they mention as refnumber 100F which is also used for the EWS limited edition livery.

Sorry Daniel – that's the limit of my knowledge of Dutch Farish models.
But I would love to know who started those initiatives. Was it Farish trying to find some alternative markets or was it a local Dutch/ Swedish shop ordering a special edition?

Dr Al

Quote from: Brail on January 12, 2016, 04:35:23 PM
Thanks Dr Al – I hadn't noticed this but then my knowledge of steam engines stops at Thomas The Tank engine  ::)

But I was intrigued enough to search the net for a better picture which I didn't find but instead I discovered that Farish made a Swedish version of the 08 too: http://swen.nmodell.se/diesellok.html
Strange that they mention as refnumber 100F which is also used for the EWS limited edition livery.

It may simply have been in the wrong box - with secondhand it's difficult to know. Of course, it may have originally been shipped in that box - only someone who assembled these in the factory could definitively say.

Quote from: Brail on January 12, 2016, 04:35:23 PMWas it Farish trying to find some alternative markets or was it a local Dutch/ Swedish shop ordering a special edition?

Definitely - Farish were going down many routes I think, including the Thai 158s, MacDonalds liveried 'Shredded wheat' dummy 0-6-0 tank locos, Eddie Stobart liveried class 37s and containers, and maybe others. They also did a fair bit of experimentation, e.g. with nicely spoked steam loco wheels. None of it got to market it seems.

Cheers,
Alan

BramptonBranch

I have the Farish J94 in Dutch livery, and will attempt to send a picture or two if interested.
Andy
You can never have to many Warships!

DesertHound

Hi Andy

That would be much appreciated - thank you.

Daniel

DesertHound

Good Evening All

Firstly, Brail, I haven't forgotten about the overseas specials, I will make a section for those.

In the meantime, I have been doing some cataloguing. Visit http://thefarishshed.com/the-turntable-2/ to see what's been added today ... classes 25/31/40/55/56/57 and, oh yes, some resprays. See if you can spot Ozymandias' resprays on the site. Click on the pictures when you get to the site and you'll eventually get to slideshows. Below are a couple of pictures to whet your appetite. I hope you enjoy them ...

[smg id=34232 type=preview align=center caption="Class 37 BritishSteel"]
[smg id=34233 type=preview align=center caption="Class 55 Porterbrook"]

railsquid

I like the new "old-style Farish catalogue" look  :thumbsup:

One slight quibble - "the class 57 is derived from the class 56" - do you mean the Farish version? The prototypes are of course reengined 47s (albeit with class 56 traction motors).

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations