Welcome to thefarishshed.com

Started by DesertHound, December 29, 2015, 04:48:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bangor Lad

Hi Daniel

You're building a great resource which is particularly useful for people like me who haven't done much 'under the bonnet' so to speak ;)

As for the photo format I must say I prefer those taken in a setting.

Cheers
Bangor Lad
aka Dave
Winner N Gauge Society Building Cup 2015

Bespoke building services. PM for details

My Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/78608332@N07/albums

DesertHound

Hi Dave

Thank you for the feedback. I take your comments on board re the setting vs side on view for the stock photos. I'll have a think about it (note the class 47's and 37's will go up as side on view as I've already taken the pictures). I'll look into improving them at a later date though due to the left side being very slightly out of focus.

If there's any topic you would like covered under loco maintenance then I'd be happy to cover it and also post it on the forum (since the forum has been kind enough to let me discuss the site here).

Finally, cat. no. 8026 is up as today's locomotive, released in 1988. Can anyone spot the glaringly obvious error in the picture (unintentional I must add)?

Dan
Visit www.thefarishshed.com for all things Poole Farish and have the confidence to look under the bonnet of your locos!

Dr Al

Quote from: DesertHound on February 15, 2016, 07:10:17 AM
Can anyone spot the glaringly obvious error in the picture (unintentional I must add)?

It's sitting on class 37 sideframes....

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

DesertHound

You win first prize Al!

Will be changed in due course when I set the tripod up again.

Dan
Visit www.thefarishshed.com for all things Poole Farish and have the confidence to look under the bonnet of your locos!

Dr Al

Minor point - you might want to photo them with the original style wheels (or use one chassis like this and swap the shells about for photos), just so folks who are less aware don't expect to find these with new style wheels on them as standard when they go out hunting on the secondhand market!

I too have a 37 8036 with the amended box sticker - clearly when first brought out whoever did the labels made a blunder and they just wen't with them until they were used. I used to own a later 37699 and it had correct label.

Label blunders aren't unique to this - they did the full run of HSTs in Virgin livery (IIRC) with the reference of IC124 rather than IC125 on the box label....

Cheers,
Alan

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

DesertHound

That's not a bad idea re the pizza cutter wheels - I did think about "keeping it original" when taking the pictures, but didn't think about something so simple as swapping the bodies  :doh:

Interesting about the 37 699 with the correct label - so it did exist then! I'll look out for it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but are the Virgin HST's Farish/Bachmann cross-over? Going to be released by Farish but then released after the take over and have XXX-XXX catalogue numbers.

Dan

Dan

Dr Al

Quote from: DesertHound on February 15, 2016, 03:49:10 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but are the Virgin HST's Farish/Bachmann cross-over? Going to be released by Farish but then released after the take over and have XXX-XXX catalogue numbers.

There were two iterations.

There was a Poole release with cat number 8128 (this is the one with the box error IIRC) late in the day of Poole, and a later Bachmann release with uprated wheels, gears, Bachmann style armature, but still the Poole style chassis. This does not have the error and comes in a Bachfar version of the last Poole style card boxes.

Cheers,
Alan

Dr Al

This is the blunder:

Oops!

Cheers,
Alan

Bangor Lad

Quote from: DesertHound on February 15, 2016, 07:10:17 AM
Hi Dave

Thank you for the feedback. I take your comments on board re the setting vs side on view for the stock photos. I'll have a think about it (note the class 47's and 37's will go up as side on view as I've already taken the pictures). I'll look into improving them at a later date though due to the left side being very slightly out of focus.

If there's any topic you would like covered under loco maintenance then I'd be happy to cover it and also post it on the forum (since the forum has been kind enough to let me discuss the site here).

Finally, cat. no. 8026 is up as today's locomotive, released in 1988. Can anyone spot the glaringly obvious error in the picture (unintentional I must add)?

Dan

I've done a few things such as changing pizza cutters to more modern profile wheels, particularly when there's been a split gear, but it's the electrickery stuff I'm less confident about.
Bangor Lad
aka Dave
Winner N Gauge Society Building Cup 2015

Bespoke building services. PM for details

My Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/78608332@N07/albums

DesertHound

Dear All

Please find the latest addition to thefarishshed.com here http://thefarishshed.com/class-2533-service-guide/

It's a project I have been working on over the last couple of weeks and it is a first attempt at what I hope to be a series of service guides for the Poole family of farish chassis.

The guide is rather detailed and was designed for those who really would like to be walked through rebuilding / servicing their locomotives. Hence it's not a "quick read". The link above will take you to the main service guide page for the class 25/33. From there you can click on any of the pictures on that front page to take you to any stage of the service. That way it makes it easier to pick up from where you left off, should you be carrying out your rebuild over time. Also, at the top and bottom of each page you will be able to navigate backwards and forwards to the next step, or back to the service guide front page. That might all sound rather confusing, but I'm sure it will make sense once you are on the site.

I have added a few disclaimers at the bottom, since I am doing this to share information. I do not act as a shop, a repair service, or make any money from this venture. Hence the disclaimer is there to advise you that this is intended as a guide and nothing more.

I am working on the format of the site (I cannot stand the white borders around the pictures) and this might take some time to put in a style to my liking.

The guide is finished, yet does require a few tweaks and additions. I would be particularly interested to hear from you if you have any difficulties navigating the site. The service guide will be amended (slightly) pending a few dotting of "i's" and crossing of "t's".

Best

Daniel

Newportnobby

Thanks very much for all your work, Dan. I'll check out the site over the next few days.

railsquid

Thanks, much appreciated! Doubly so if it applies to the 33 as well, as I have one of those which needs servicing (though a clear case of split gears).

It will be a couple of weeks until I'll have time to actually poke at the 25, will report back.

REGP

Even I can follow your step by step guide and would be tempted to have a go if I had a 25 (or 33).

Probably a good thing I don't have one, as it would undoubtably result in me sending it of to BR Lines for him to put it back together again!

So if you do, the same guide for a 37 or 47, I could be in big trouble (especially if you cover changing wheels).

Seriously though folks, a big thanks for going into such clear detail, enabling a technical numscull like me to follow and understand them!

Ray

N-Gauge-US

Just wanted to say a quick thank you for all of the hard work that has gone into this site. I have already used it to help identify the production year on an 08 when someone asked how old it was (a very easy task thanks to your site!) and I've quite enjoyed your spares section. I am very excited to see steam make its eventual appearance (I know that is a tall order and that this a labor of love, so no rush!), as that is my primary interest. I'd be especially interested in seeing any remotoring projects done to steam Farish, as I'm interested in starting to scratch and kit build and modifying an extant engine is a great bridge project :) Thanks again for your hard work and for making this great resource available to the n gauge community!
Check out Avondale - My heritage railway themed layout :)

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29371.0

DesertHound

Firstly

NPN / Railsquid / REGP / N-Gauge-US, thank you for the kind comments and I hope you enjoy the new content.

Quote from: REGP on February 28, 2016, 11:46:54 PM
Even I can follow your step by step guide and would be tempted to have a go if I had a 25 (or 33).

Probably a good thing I don't have one, as it would undoubtably result in me sending it of to BR Lines for him to put it back together again!

So if you do, the same guide for a 37 or 47, I could be in big trouble (especially if you cover changing wheels).

Seriously though folks, a big thanks for going into such clear detail, enabling a technical numscull like me to follow and understand them!

Ray

Ray, a service guide for the class 37/47/56/57 chassis is on the cards. I shall advise when it is up (these things take time grrrrrrrrr!) I hope I bring you copius amounts of "trouble" with the guide  :D

Quote from: N-Gauge-US on February 29, 2016, 03:24:31 AM
Just wanted to say a quick thank you for all of the hard work that has gone into this site. I have already used it to help identify the production year on an 08 when someone asked how old it was (a very easy task thanks to your site!) and I've quite enjoyed your spares section. I am very excited to see steam make its eventual appearance (I know that is a tall order and that this a labor of love, so no rush!), as that is my primary interest. I'd be especially interested in seeing any remotoring projects done to steam Farish, as I'm interested in starting to scratch and kit build and modifying an extant engine is a great bridge project :) Thanks again for your hard work and for making this great resource available to the n gauge community!

I shall get around to cataloguing steam, although I will not be able to offer a picture for each model (simply because I don't have the stock!) but shall try to get one picture per "class" on the site. I shall also try and get something up on steam servicing, although to be brutally honest, that's a different beast with all the con-rods and once you take those apart - oh my, oh my!  :doh: If you do start any work N-Gauge-US then you are welcome to contribute as a guest author and as I have said before, I am more than happy to have material that is co-located on this great site of ours (NGF) too. Thanks for your support.

Daniel

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations