Help with a Fleischmann BR38 (and some ridiculously tight curves)

Started by GScaleBruce, May 02, 2014, 04:48:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GScaleBruce

I have a Fleischmann BR38 which is around 20+ years old. I've returned to N gauge after some years away, and this is a loco I really like and want to run.

In preparation for building my new layout (http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=20961.0) I bought a circle of Peco R1 (space is limited...) and testing things. All appeared to be ok... so I nipped up the fishplates and laid the track; at which point the circle was a leeeetle bit tighter than when I'd tested it. I've now got to the point that I can run trains again... and, you've guessed it, the BR38 is struggling. The problem is that the loco has an eight wheel rigid wheelbased tender. Two axles are driven, two float - but there's insufficient float for a Peco setrack R1 curve and it's binding slightly. It'll go, mostly, but not well.

So I have a few questions:
- is there anything I can do or adjust to get the loco to run smoothly round my ridiculously tight radius return loops?
- do more recent Fleischmann locos have the same arrangement (I'm thinking of buying the BR23 when the new version is released), as I don't want to have the same issue with a new loco?
- does the current model of the BR38 have the same arrangement (because if it doesn't, maybe an upgrade might be the way forward)?
Any help or guidance welcome!
Bruce
My DB themed layout - Steinheim am Main My BR themed layout - Stoneham Yard My T-Trak module - Güterbahnhof Friesdorf
My SNCF modelling thread - Gare de Ligugé My layout planning thread - Peterhampton Junction

steve836

I know very little about continental models, but could you not go up to second radius curves? It would probably make life easier in the long run as quite a few british outline models don't like such tight curves either!
KISS = Keep it simple stupid

Agrippa

Does the loco run ok on the straight? If so as steve836 says switch to R2
curves, the extra space needed is not huge. Certainly cheaper than replacing
the loco and the new version might have the same arrangement.
Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

GScaleBruce

Quote from: Agrippa on May 03, 2014, 03:11:13 PM
Does the loco run ok on the straight?

Yes, it's absolutely fine in a straight line.

Quote from: Agrippa on May 03, 2014, 03:11:13 PM
If so as steve836 says switch to R2 curves, the extra space needed is not huge. Certainly cheaper than replacing
the loco and the new version might have the same arrangement.

Space is tight, but R2 may be possible... may have to be, especially if other Fleischmann locos have this arrangement. I only just laid the track... hey ho.
Bruce
My DB themed layout - Steinheim am Main My BR themed layout - Stoneham Yard My T-Trak module - Güterbahnhof Friesdorf
My SNCF modelling thread - Gare de Ligugé My layout planning thread - Peterhampton Junction

GScaleBruce

Well, I decided to bite the bullet and go to R2. The baseboards were designed for R1 to minimise how far they projected off the bookcase into the room, so that was a bit frustrating - and involved some complicated woodwork to extend them as well. Anyway, 'tis done now... anyone want to nearly new R1s?!!!
Bruce

steve836

KISS = Keep it simple stupid

GScaleBruce

Pretty well, thank you, certainly much better. I had a look on the Fleischmann website, and it would appear that the "modern" BR38 is identical to my 20+ year old model, and the BR23 appears to use the same drive mechanism, so I decided I had little alternative. Took a short (and not terribly good) video but which I'm struggling to upload properly.

It's here, anyway...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwL2HLyPWqM
Bruce

Agrippa

Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £10.67
Below Goal: £89.33
Site Currency: GBP
 11%
May Donations