Really annoying Qs "What do you find to do all day, now you're retired?"

Started by Adrian, August 09, 2015, 12:26:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newportnobby

At a recent Model show I queried why there was no concessionary price for my Mum and was told 90% of their visitors would be concession tickets so they didn't do them ???

Komata

Newport nobby

Re: 'At a recent Model show I queried why there was no concessionary price for my Mum and was told 90% of their visitors would be concession TICKETS so they didn't do them'

Based on observation over many years, that attitude would effectively remove most of the 'grand kids' who come with Nana or Grandad and as a result,  a substantial part of the 'Sunday afternoon' traffic / revenue.

I would have thought that the organisers would have been aware of that.

'Nowt like people...
"TVR - Serving the Northern Taranaki . . . "

Tom U

I have the opposite problem...
People ask me "But why haven't you retired? - you are 66"

Best response, I suppose, is "Oh! goodness...am I...I must have forgotten to check the calendar!"

D1042 Western Princess

Quote from: Tom U on August 14, 2015, 09:12:35 AM
I have the opposite problem...
People ask me "But why haven't you retired? - you are 66"

Best response, I suppose, is "Oh! goodness...am I...I must have forgotten to check the calendar!"

It must be nice to have a job where you don't want to get out Tom. In my industry (railways) very few long service men don't want to leave because it changed (for the worse) on privatisation.
If it's not a Diesel Hydraulic then it's not a real locomotive.

EssexN

I usually reply when asked what I do all day " I am relaxed, calm and at peace because I don't have to put up with the dictatorial aerosols who exist today in the working environment".

Also, because building a model railway is so labour intensive, I don't have any spare time for work.

David

Chris Morris

Explain that building a model railway is creating a work of art - a kind of moving painting. Further explain the many skills and varied knowledge required to plan and build a model railway. They won't ask the question again.
Working doesn't seem to be the perfect thing for me so I'll continue to play.
Steve Marriott / Ronnie Lane

daveg

I list of all my (many, many) chores but the most important of all is '... and on top of all that I've got a railway to build!'

That gets quite a mixed response.  :D

Dave G

David Asquith

Not something I 'find' to do but once or twice I've dreamed I was still in the Army but thought my retirement was due or even overdue and I couldn't find out when it should have been.
Barrack room shrinks feel free to diagnose I won't be offended.

Dave

PS.  I've been retired from the Army 20 years now.

petercharlesfagg

Interesting question?

I was asked the self same question here in our little village by one of those people who think they have it made because they have accrued money etc!

He asked quite innocently what I do all day now that I am retired and I answered, that 90% of my day is spent puzzling over the vagaries of model railways.

I got the look that says "Poor soul, he is regressing back to childhood"!

Noticing this look across his face I launched into how fascinating the world of electronics and the possibilities contained therein have given me a new lease of life! 

How a myriad of problems have given my grey cells the workout they needed and the deep satisfaction, poor soul that I am, get from seeing it all working!

I then asked him what he did with his retirement, "Oh I sit around a lot, play the occasional round of golf, generally :censored: off with life and wish I could be working!"

I think there is a moral here somewhere???

Peter.
Each can do but little, BUT if each did that little, ALL would be done!

Life is like a new sewer pipe, what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!

A day without laughter is a day wasted!

railsquid

I suppose that money can't buy you happiness (though it does go a long way towards a decent-sized well-insulated railway room and rolling stock to match).

Greybags

I was "forced" to retire on my 50th birthday which was 7 years ago, and it has given me the time to restore 2 classic cars, build my layout (ongoing), travel with the wife, and try to spend more time with my family that I missed out on when I had to work, and to be totally honest, I have loved every minute of the past 7 years..  :thumbsup:

But to answer the original question when asked what I do with my time, they all get the same answer ...

"As little as possible, I'm retired"  :P

7P5F

Quote from: Greybags on October 05, 2015, 09:22:00 AM
I was "forced" to retire on my 50th birthday which was 7 years ago, and it has given me the time to restore 2 classic cars, build my layout (ongoing), travel with the wife, and try to spend more time with my family that I missed out on when I had to work, and to be totally honest, I have loved every minute of the past 7 years..  :thumbsup:

But to answer the original question when asked what I do with my time, they all get the same answer ...

"As little as possible, I'm retired"  :P

My sentiments exactly,since i retired 9years ago at 63,we went on a number of safari holidays in Africa,so many that my wife got fed up with animals & getting up at 5 in the morning to go on another game drive bu oh!,those breakfasts when you got back.For next year,i told my wife she could choose between Bognor or Botswana so she chose Cyprus.Oh well!!!.

Ray.

scotsoft

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £15.67
Below Goal: £84.33
Site Currency: GBP
16% 
May Donations