what are people doing on their layout right now

Started by B1 61126, August 16, 2011, 07:59:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crewearpley40

Look after you health first tiny. We look forward to the railway and thoughts on it another time. Chris

dannyboy

As in the above comments, I hope things improve for you and yes, health comes first. Having said that, creating a model railway can help with your health, well, mental health anyway - crawling under baseboards might not do too much for your physical health! Take care.  :)
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Bob Tidbury

I havnt been down the shed yet I still dont want to crawl under to get to the control panel yet as I am still not fully fit enough after my operation .
But I have been busy this morning ,A while ago I started to convert a standard
L N E R Tender into  the water carrier that Alan Peglar had built when he owned Flying Scotsman ,I have now put a corridor on the front and filed  the coal off and smoothed  the top over .Its not up to the standard of some of you experts but I am happy with it,I know the corridor should be at one side but if you look at the OO model that had it in the middle so its a bit of a compromise as I havnt put the coridor on the coal tender as now I can run it with two or just the one  only an expert would notice when its running round my layout anyway .so now all I need is a pot of the light green to match the Farish green and some numbers to change on the tender as it had  L N E R on the coal tender and
4472 on the water tender..
If I could I would put a picture on here to show you all .
Bob Tidbury

Swindon69

Platy767

The genesis of a new layout.

Ply cut and outside frame made

2 afternoons later, a 2 level baseboard.

This layout will get some ballast and scenery and more play time. First 2 level layout I've done and first time I've had the benefit of a cordless drill! How did I live without it?

Mark

chrism

Gumming up points with ballast and glue - or hopefully not  :smiley-laughing:

Looking promising so far - ten ordinary points, a three-way and a double slip still all functioning correctly, most of them didn't even need the switch blades and stock rails cleaning to get a good contact.

Four more points and a second double slip to go, fingers crossed   ;)

Bad Raven

Been scribbling on paper for months.........   :-\

Just today started fitting modified boards from a previous (bungalow bedroom, boards only as we moved) layout into a 17'x 8' 6"detached block/brick wall tile pitched roof garage.

A run of sundeala covered 2x1 framed boards which were L shaped are now rough connected straight down one side, free standing on legs, which has exposed the slope in the concrete floor. I could do hump shunting currently.  :D :D

Easy solved now that I know. Get that right and then fix them to block wall.

All of the other side will have to be ply box and former as too many terrain changes for a "flat" starting point.  One side is intended to be pseudo Peak District integrating my "Cromford Wharf" board and the other pseudo Wyre Estuary/Docks incorporating my "Wyrefleet" DCC Tramway.
Dave

Newportnobby

If the garage is subject to wide temperature variations you may have issues with sundeala. :uneasy:
I've used it all my modelling life but only indoors.

Nick

I've returned to the layout for the first time in three years or more. So the first tasks  are to clean the track, and get everything running smoothly.

That shouldn't take more than another three years or so... : :'(
Nick

The perfect is the enemy of the good - Voltaire

dannyboy

Quote from: Nick on June 26, 2021, 12:30:43 PM
I've returned to the layout for the first time in three years or more.
. . . . . .
That shouldn't take more than another three years or so... : :'(

No point in rushing things.  :)
David.

dannyboy

I have got the left hand helix on Dilymic Field completed to the second level and it now connects to the second level on the right hand helix.  :). I have just had my test train traverse the whole of this part of the layout - without incident!   :claphappy:. I have the track to fasten down properly so will update the Dilymic Field thread with a video, probably tomorrow.  But I can not help feeling pleased with myself.  ;D
David.

Roy L S

Not a lot of late, backscenes have been on a while, I really need to crack on with scenery.

grumbeast

Benchwork for the new layout(s) .. I have the upper level shelf (Canadian end-to-end) done and I'm about 50% through the lower Passenger layout (simple loop with staging).  Hoping to have the lower benchwork mostly done in the newt day or two so I can setup a temporary look to give my trains a good run!

AndyRA

Finished another 'What if' project. Having had the Loco in my display case in the guise of 10001 it has now emerged as 34001 to blend in with the other Locos and stock.

If it looks difficult it probably is, but might as well get on with it anyway!

Layout :- West Coast (Southern Section)
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?action=gallery;su=user;cat=2531;u=5731

Full story and pics at:-
https://www.facebook.com/WestCoastSouthernSection/

Platy767

Sydney is in another Covid-19 prevention lockdown at the moment.

Got the cork down and track pinned over the past week so it was time for some wiring.

Fitted the section isolation switches to some angles and terminated the switch ends yesterday.

That left me to terminate the feeds to the droppers, but I didn't feel like laying on a cold concrete floor or crouching down so I turned the layout on its side and clamped it in place for a more convenient work site.

Finished the section wiring and the wiring for the few point motors (the majority will be WIT).

Hopefully connect a controller and see where the smoke comes out tomorrow and then do a test run over the track.

Mark

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £25.67
Below Goal: £74.33
Site Currency: GBP
26% 
May Donations