Do you all solder wires first before connecting?

Started by Grassyfield, January 25, 2024, 07:35:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grassyfield

Do you guys solder the wires before putting them inside your terminal strip or distribution board?, or do you think its fine to just put the strands in with out tinting wire first?.

Thank you.

Bealman

Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

NeilWhite

As I understand it you should not tin wire before putting it into any screw-type terminal. It is better to leave the strands unsoldered and screw straight onto the bare wires.

The reason for this is that compression or ageing of the solder on the tinned wires can cause conduction problems and possible failure of the join.

Neil

Bealman

My experience has been the screws splay multicore wires and cause intermittent contact.

emjaybee

As a qualified electrician, I wouldn't ever recommend using tinned cable ends in screw connectors.

I frequently get called to jobs where there's a flickering light, hot switch, burning smell from a socket. It's invariably where the multi strand cable has been tinned. Because tinning creates a solid 'lump' screws have a habit of loosening. This doesn't tend to happen with loose strands.

Quote from: Bealman on January 25, 2024, 08:09:35 AMMy experience has been the screws splay multicore wires and cause intermittent contact.

George, I suspect you're having this trouble because there's not enough wire to adequately fill the connector. Try doubling over, or quadrupling over to fill the connector better.

Tinned ends do work fine in sprung, push fit connectors as there's the constant pressure from the spring.
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

chrism

Quote from: emjaybee on January 25, 2024, 08:21:41 AMAs a qualified electrician, I wouldn't ever recommend using tinned cable ends in screw connectors.

I frequently get called to jobs where there's a flickering light, hot switch, burning smell from a socket. It's invariably where the multi strand cable has been tinned. Because tinning creates a solid 'lump' screws have a habit of loosening. This doesn't tend to happen with loose strands.

Also, even if the screw doesn't loosen, the solder lump (or even lightly tinned wire) is harder than untinned stranded wire so the screw can't bite/crush into it so well and can reduce the effective contact area.

Bealman

As is always the case, different philosophies, which really don't help the op get an answer.

I'll modify my post... I DO have connections in choc blocks which have not been soldered, but the sheer age of the layout is making them problematic.

Some help, I am!  ;)

Steven B

The best way to use screw terminals is to use bootlace ferrules on the ends of the wire being terminated.

Second best is multi-strand wire used bare.

Third best is single core or soldered multi-strand.

All will work for a model railway. More importantly is matching the size of the screw terminal to the wire size so a decent clamp under the screw is achieved.

The next question, if using unsoldered/uncrimped multi-strand wire do you twist it before putting it in the screw terminal.

Steven B

Bealman

emjaybee

Quote from: Bealman on January 25, 2024, 08:44:21 AMAs is always the case, different philosophies, which really don't help the op get an answer.

I'll modify my post... I DO have connections in choc blocks which have not been soldered, but the sheer age of the layout is making them problematic.

Some help, I am!  ;)

Possibly oxidisation of the copper George. I realise that the task is onerous, but I'd suggest undoing connections, cleaning ends, trimming ends, rearranging ends, then remaking connection.
Brookline build thread:

emjaybee

Quote from: Steven B on January 25, 2024, 09:00:20 AMThe best way to use screw terminals is to use bootlace ferrules on the ends of the wire being terminated.

Second best is multi-strand wire used bare.

Third best is single core or soldered multi-strand.

All will work for a model railway. More importantly is matching the size of the screw terminal to the wire size so a decent clamp under the screw is achieved.

The next question, if using unsoldered/uncrimped multi-strand wire do you twist it before putting it in the screw terminal.

Steven B

Sorry.

I'd cut any bootlace ferrules off, remake with bare strand. They suffer the same problem as tinned ends, they have a propensity to work loose over time.

I tend to twist loose strands, it makes it easier to get them into a connector and also increases the contact area as loose strands don't get 'pushed' out to the sides away from the screw.
Brookline build thread:

Grassyfield

I see, very helpful information every one, so based on every ones information i will put the stranded wire type of wire i have in to my distribution board that is a screw type one, with out soldering/tinning it. But the question is what steven said, should i have the wires twisted or not. EDIT - I assume having it flat and not twisted would be best

EDIT - im using multi strand wire

emjaybee

Brookline build thread:

ntpntpntp

I know the industry best practice says not to tin the wires but with the small gauge equipment wire on layouts I have always twisted and tinned first and I prefer it.  Mains wiring I leave as bare twisted ends.   

I have used ferrules on occasion, but often my box of ferrules has vanished when I need them!
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Grassyfield

Thanks Ntp and Emjay!!.

One last question - Is it ok to leave the wire that is soldered to the rails exposed a bit or should it be covered with some thing, the bare wire is making contact with the foam trackbed and the wood of baseboard it never occurred to me that maybe they shouldn't be doing that.

Thank you very much!!!!!!!!!

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £85.23
Below Goal: £14.77
Site Currency: GBP
85% 
April Donations