Are they being fair, and moving Microsoft licences.

Started by emjaybee, May 22, 2019, 10:15:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

emjaybee

I wonder if anyone can help me.

I bought a laptop, just under three years ago, complete with a new version of MS Office.

The laptop developed a fault which 11 months later they still haven't been able to fix permanently, despite four warranty returns.

Yesterday they offered me a £400 payment, either as 'store credit' or a cash payment, as I've not had full use of the laptop for the last year. The warranty expires in 2 weeks. Does this seem reasonable?

If I decide to accept this and purchase a new laptop can I 'move' my three year old copy (installed by supplier) of MS Office to a new laptop or am I going to have to stump up for a new copy?

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

njee20

So the laptop was over 2 years old when it first broke? Were they repairing it under some sort of enhanced warranty you purchased at the time?

After 2 years (or 3 now) I'd say you don't have much right. Assuming it wasn't a £2,000 Macbook I'd say a £400 credit after 3 years is pretty reasonable, although I'd be checking the actual terms of the warranty you're claiming on (assuming it's not a manufacturer one). Office licences are a few quid online, just do that and move on, it'll be much easier!

Bealman

Can't help, but I can say I'm running Office 2007 on Vista, and it works fine.

If it works, don't fix it.....
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

emjaybee

The laptop had a 12 month Novatech warranty, which I extended to a three year 'return to base' warranty for £100.

The fault first occurred at 23.5 months, and it's sporadically returned four times in the last 11.5 months. Laptop purchase price was around £1200, hence the £400 offer.

Where can you get MS Office for cheap money? Everything I've seen is £120+ for MS Office - Home and Student (I only really use Word and Excel).

Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

keithfre

Quote from: emjaybee on May 22, 2019, 10:55:28 AM
Where can you get MS Office for cheap money? Everything I've seen is £120+ for MS Office - Home and Student (I only really use Word and Excel).
Have you considered  LibreOffice?

ntpntpntp

So this was a hardware fault they couldn't fix, and the lack of "full use" is because it's been in for repair a lot? £400 doesn't sound unreasonable.

As far as Office goes, I would have thought you should be able to re-install on the new box. You have the licence key?   At most you may have to inform Microsoft that you are transferring.

I moved over to an Office 365 subscription a few years ago, it gives me licence to run it on up to 5 devices (so the entire family can use it on their boxes including son at uni etc.), and it auto-updates as-and-when.

Depending on what you actually use Office for, you may find one of the freebie office suites (eg. Open Office, Libre Office )  works just as well?
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Bealman

A guy I was marking exam papers with back 2010 gave me the full set of his disks from his school, along with code.

I've been using it ever since!

Maybe I'd better shut up!

broadsword

I think the £400 offer is a bit stingy, especially considering loss of use
but you should be entitled to have Office installed FOC as you lost it due to
original laptop failure. If the supplier is a big retailer explain the position and
wheedle new office from them. despite all the tech talk it's just like a washing
machine,fridge, hoover etc ,  major appliances should have warranties for 3-4
years without paying for add ons, check with your trading standards office.

Snowwolflair

A license is exactly that.  You will need the original install key.  Microsoft should be helpful and it might be worth considering an upgrade to the latest version.

This however assumes it was an original Microsoft licence not an OEM copy, in which case Microsoft will tell you to get the OEM to provide support and reinstall.

Computer depreciation according to HMRC is 25% of value per year.  In reality they half their value every year.

stevewalker

As the fault occurred just before 2 years and has been back and forth since, I think I'd be tempted to push them to £600 as 50% of the value, as the problem should have been sorted then, not still be ongoing 11.5 months later.

dannyboy

I agree with Steve - push for more. Certainly don't accept their first offer. I have been using MS Office 2010 since, err, 2010. I still have the original disc and licence code so just reinstall it it on any new laptop I have bought since then with no problem.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Bealman

I'm sorry, but I don't see what the problem is here.

Just use what you have always used!

Working here!

BobB

As far as the Microsoft office software is concerned, if the computer is currently working well enough, first get the actual key code from the software and then whilst connected to the internet uninstall it. This releases the key code for future use. On your replacement machine, download office and activate using the key code.  Be sure to use the same version of office.

Not sure what your policy is like but the offer seems an admission that they are not able or not willing to fix it. Go for the full replacement cost for a machine with similar specification.

njee20

Quote from: Bealman on May 22, 2019, 12:01:24 PM
I'm sorry, but I don't see what the problem is here.

Just use what you have always used!

Working here!

The issue is not the version of the software, it's the actual install. OP paid (say) £120 for Office 3 years ago, if he finds that can't be installed on the new laptop he is forced to buy then he needs to pay another £120 to get a 'fresh' copy. He's not seeking advice on which version to use.

In reality as said if it's an aftermarket copy and you have the licence key then it should be transferrable, I was assuming it was OEM, so may not be. Licences are all over eBay - Office 2016 licence key for £4.99. They're generally unused/recycled enterprise licences, of questionable morality if that bothers you.

FWIW I tried LibreOffice once, it was similar to MS Office, but just different enough to be utterly infuriating.

You may as well push back on the offer (nothing to lose!), but I think £400 is reasonable.

I would also check the exact wording in the enhanced warranty you've paid for. What does it say in the event they can't fix the issue? Does it say they'll replace, and is it new for old, or reduction for wear and tear? What is that factor, as above perhaps push for what you were entitled to after 2 years, rather than 3. What is the actual issue?

Thorpe Parva

I still use Office 97. I have also installed OpenOffice as this enables me to cope with more recent file formats such as XLXS etc.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations