Local model shop distance.

Started by Wayne 56089, February 22, 2014, 10:47:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newportnobby

As Mickeyflinn has alluded to, Transport Models in Preston is only about 4-5 miles away from me and is the only model shop I visit. They have a good range of N gauge stuff along with a cabinet at the rear of the shop with 2nd hand N for sale.
Price wise they are a conundrum as they can be expensive and will not offer discount for bulk purchase, yet they are selling the new Farish Jinty for £59 :confused2:
Basically I look at their prices then add on postage rates and, if they are in the ballpark, I'll buy from them as (a) I like to support the local shop (for local people :D) and (b) it's easy to return a lemon.
They also carry a good range of scenics, paints etc.
However, they are not known locally with some irony as 'The Chuckle Brothers' for nothing ::)

AC

Quote from: cjdodd on February 22, 2014, 11:44:31 PM
I'm lucky, I have Richards Railways in Yatton and Model Railways Direct in Portishead, both about 10mins drive me from.

Model Railways Direct isn't more than 2 miles from me. Not been to Richards Railways for years, but at some point I'll go there again. I don't know where the best place to park would be, having not been to Yatton for so long.
My NGF Layout Thread: Stanley Yard; a Model Railway in a Toolbox
My NGF Workbench Thread: AC's Occasional Modelling Thread

My Modelling Blog (Multiple Scales): AC's Miscellaneous Model Mixture Blog
My Old Website: AC's Stuff

Agrippa

Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

javlinfaw7

20 min by bus to Waddel's who have a reasonable supply of new n gauge and same to Pastimes who carry a large stock of second hand  in both UK  and US n gauge as well as new

Ray Haddad

We're 40 miles from the nearest I have actually visited and 25 miles from one I have not been to yet. I wonder if I should go visit this weekend.
I exclusively model the WSMF Railroad.

weave

Hi,

Addlestone Models in Addlestone (der) Surrey. Has a nice cabinet of n gauge British stuff which is no good to me as a continentaller but do have a nose when I go there. Not sure what's Graham Farish or Dapol but they look good to me.

Answer- 2 miles away which is great for the little things, ballast, foliage, paint etc. but more importantly things like small bits of stripwood or other little bits.

They seem to be more of a radio controlled car/plane place but think the owner's into trains so I'm very lucky they're there.

Also they are open on Sunday lunchtimes which is great if you've forgotten something and there's a pub next door!

Cheers weave  :beers:

dodger

Living near Lymington I have one about  miles away that I visit about once a week for general items, otherwise I have one in Southamapton (15 miles) or two in Poole/Bournemouth (15-20 miles), not including the one we dont mention on this forum. At least twice a year I drive to Gaugemaster (65 miles) or more often if its something expensive and they are giving a good discount.

Postal or internet only if its essential.

Dodger

apple15

Quote from: silverfox on February 22, 2014, 11:53:36 PM
I'm very lucky, you guys are making me feel guilty, Gaugemaster is only 8 minutes away for me  :-[ ..................4 if I'm riding the Triumph..............18 if I'm riding the BSA (plus 20 getting it to start)

I've bought some long lengths of flexitrack home on the bike which was interesting!!!

Jason

+1 Having Gaugemaster just up the road...don't know of anymore in this area with lots of N gauge stock
Phil

scottmitchell74

Fun thread!

West Texas isn't Australia, but it's 180+/- miles to the shops in and around Dallas. So, I shop mostly online and take my chances.
Spend as little as possible on what you need so you can spend as much as possible on what you want.

BudgieJane

My nearest model shop used to be Kent Garden Railways, 8.5 miles away. However, a shop opened in Sidcup recently, and that is 7.5 miles away (but still takes about half an hour to get to!)
Best wishes

Jane

gc4946

Nearest model railway shops to me:

Going Loco (Lofthouse)
Millennium Models (Morley)

If I only want basic modelling materials, there's a planes, boats, helicopters and cars place called Model Shop Leeds, or MB Models, which are both the nearest.
"I believe in positive, timely solutions, not vague, future promises"

Kipper

Quite lucky in the Mansfield Notts area, although lost Totally N Gauge last year. Small shop in Sutton in Ashfield,  one in Edwinstowe, three in Nottingham, Malc's Models in Ilkeston (best one for N), and then Sheffield. Continental only shop in Cromford, near Matlock.

Chetcombe

Kernow Model Centre in Camborne is probably the nearest to me. Only 3351 miles from Philadelphia according to Google :-[

Thankfully I have a model shop about 15 miles away which is good for Peco track and electrics, all scenic items etc. But for rolling stock and UK image buildings it is mail order for me!
Mike

See my layout here Chetcombe
Videos of Chetcombe on YouTube

Luke Piewalker

Harburn Hobbies is 8 miles from me. Unfortunately the middle of Edinburgh is in the way, so about half an hour.
For quite a lot of scenery and the like it's nice to be able to see it as for things that aren't rolling stock it can be hard to find a decent picture online and it's easier to 'visualise' if you have it in front of you.
And sometimes it's just nice to sidle your way round a model shop...

dodger112958

I am very lucky, 53a Models is a five minute walk from my house! They have a decent stock of N Gauge and the couple who run it are very knowledgeable and helpful.
There used to be four model railway shops in Hull, now just the one.
Ian
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations