N'spirations11 - update

Started by H, April 05, 2013, 09:07:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

H

Thank you for the feedback and kind offer - and no offence taken. Unfortunately, adding in an extra outsourced process is just too difficult and time consuming to contemplate at this stage and, although I'm fully aware of the difference and correct use of it's and its, sometimes mistakes slip through, as with even with the most prestigious publications. But hopefully it's the modelling and content that counts. Besides, I'd prefer 'I love' rather than 'I'm loving'.  ;)

H.

Karyn

Doesn't that depend on what he meant by "I'm loving"...   :angel:    :laugh3:

Sprintex

Quote from: Pete33 on June 03, 2013, 07:44:25 PM
the use of 'it's' instead of 'its' almost drives me to tears.

Its annoying eh? ;)

Could be worse, you could be reading about what new items Grahame brought from his local shop or Ebay! :D

Paul

Bealman

Dunno if you've got the same MacDonalds billboards and TV ads over in the UK that say "I'm loving it" Heck.... I haven't even bought one yet (and probably won't)!  :sick2:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Sprintex

Yep we have them too ;)

Must admit I do like an occasional Maccy Dee's, although tend to go more for breakfast than burgers these days  :food:

Paul

Bealman

Yeah... in reality I'm a closet Macca's consumer.... but I guess I'm not any more, am I?!  :doh: But like you, these days it's mostly brekkies. Talking of which, it's 8.05 here and I'm just about to take Mrs Bealman to work.... all this talk may mean making a detour under the golden arches on the way home!  :laugh:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Mustermark

Quote from: Karyn on June 03, 2013, 09:17:35 PM
Doesn't that depend on what he meant by "I'm loving"...   :angel:    :laugh3:

:o LOL (I actually did LOL). Good job I'd finished my coffee.

Quote from: H on June 03, 2013, 08:33:57 PM
But hopefully it's the modelling and content that counts.

It is indeed.  And the good quality photography. :thumbsup:

http://www.marksmodelrailway.com
I'm a personality prototype... you can tell, can't you.

Michael Shillabeer

Quote from: H on June 03, 2013, 08:33:57 PM
Thank you for the feedback and kind offer - and no offence taken. Unfortunately, adding in an extra outsourced process is just too difficult and time consuming to contemplate at this stage and, although I'm fully aware of the difference and correct use of it's and its, sometimes mistakes slip through, as with even with the most prestigious publications. But hopefully it's the modelling and content that counts. Besides, I'd prefer 'I love' rather than 'I'm loving'.  ;)

H.
When I edited the N Gauge Journal in the 1990s the printers would typeset the cover. One edition proudly proclaimed "Andy Calvert wins Railway Meddler Cup!" Andy had a great sense of humour so saw the funny side  :)

Michael

Sprintex

AJB

Hi pete33,
I totally concur with your comments concerning the use of the apostrophe -- you see it all the time even on 'professionally' produced billboards.
It is a sad reflection upon our education system that students are not properly schooled nowadays. Even worse was the introduction of 'text-speak' and 'Americanisms' which ensures that users will forget how to spell eventually, of course, assuming they were ever taught.
I am a time-served compositor (now retired) so I also cringe at some the typos but thought I was the only one concerned about that which I read on this forum. Terms like dipthong, solidus and ligatures are now extinct!
Even in this posting the spell-checker is telling me that I have mis-spelled dipthong -- there, it did it again!
Alan (AJB)

Phil Hendry

Ah, I am glad to see that I am not alone - there are fellow-dinosaurs here, who also cringe at the mere mention of mis-placed apostrophe's (sic).  I hate 'txtspk' too - my (rapidly becoming obsolete, alas) mobile has a 'slide-out' QWERTY keyboard, with punctuation, which I use.  Happily, my son, aged 17 (going on 47), is almost as pedantic - not surprising really, as his greatest loves, in the academic sense, are classical Greek and Latin.  My wife and daughter though - let us not think about them in this regard.
I am not a complete lunatic - there are pieces missing!

Michael Shillabeer

There is hope for the English language.
My 17 year old daughter is pedantic too.
She has a T shirt that says something along the lines of "In my head I'm correcting your English"
Michael

Chinahand

Picked up a copy at the NGS AGM and I've been glued to it ever since. I must say it's another great issue Grahame so many thanks for all your hardwork in putting it together.

With regard to apostrophes, it could be argued that it is actually incorrect to use them at all as they were adopted from the French and were not introduced into the English language until the 16th century.
Regards,
Trevor (aka Chinahand)
[smg id=2316]

oscar

Quote from: Chinahand on June 04, 2013, 09:53:41 AM
Picked up a copy at the NGS AGM and I've been glued to it ever since. I must say it's another great issue Grahame so many thanks for all your hardwork in putting it together.

With regard to apostrophes, it could be argued that it is actually incorrect to use them at all as they were adopted from the French and were not introduced into the English language until the 16th century.

Pedant! :bounce:

@AJB. I was taught diphthong!

Mirrlees

Had a great surprise that my joint layout with free_debt_man is mentioned on page 25 ! :bounce:
Tim Hitch
NGS Display Stand Manager

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations