Mercig Olton Hall

Started by portland-docks, February 19, 2019, 02:07:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

portland-docks

wasnt sure which area to put it in, so will try here and if it needs moving it can move!

So i finally recieved my custom Dapol Hall from Ian at Mercig, another fantastic model! Originally in Great Western Green, now in EWS Crimson, with British Railways on the tender (to avoid copyrights!), and numbered 5972 Olton Hall!

Ran a treat at Doncaster with a rake of 5 WCRC mk1s, love the work Ian does, so needless to say another model has been send down over, this time an Ivatt 2mt from Graham Farish...wonder what livery that might go in? That will be followed by a standard 4 tank. But also i sent back down 76084 which was the first model he did for me to alter the lining on the tender to what it actually looks like on 76084. But for now, here is some pictures i got of Olton Hall which shows the great detail he goes to into the model...

Thoughts?

Visit my heritage Railway "moorside Valley Railway"

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=9280.0

see first post for exhibition dates

Fardap

Image links are broken, going to the link (before the page dumps them) doesn't bring up the loco image.  :(

Although I could regrow my hair by putting half an onion on it and then meet the girl of my dreams in the next advert image - funny how the ads always display on these type of 'free' hosting sites, nothing free in this world...  :D

portland-docks

Quote from: Fardap on February 19, 2019, 02:19:39 PM
Image links are broken, going to the link (before the page dumps them) doesn't bring up the loco image.  :(

Although I could regrow my hair by putting half an onion on it and then meet the girl of my dreams in the next advert image - funny how the ads always display on these type of 'free' hosting sites, nothing free in this world...  :D

edited, hopefully that now works!

NeMo

Quote from: portland-docks on February 19, 2019, 02:07:32 PM
now in EWS Crimson, with British Railways on the tender (to avoid copyrights!)

Eh? Don't understand any of this. Are you saying that it's a GWR loco but in EWS livery, and if it is, why does it have to have the wrong logo to avoid copyright?

Can anyone enlighten me on any of this!

Cheers, NeMo
(Former NGS Journal Editor)

portland-docks

Quote from: NeMo on February 19, 2019, 02:49:22 PM
Quote from: portland-docks on February 19, 2019, 02:07:32 PM
now in EWS Crimson, with British Railways on the tender (to avoid copyrights!)

Eh? Don't understand any of this. Are you saying that it's a GWR loco but in EWS livery, and if it is, why does it have to have the wrong logo to avoid copyright?

Can anyone enlighten me on any of this!

Cheers, NeMo

Olton Hall carries a logo on the tender that states "Hogwarts Railways", that its a copyrighted logo which Warner Brothers (who own the Harry Potter franchise) get very  particular about i.e. if you dont have permission off them to use the logo they will come down hard on you. So in order to avoid that, we did not put Hogwarts logo or name anywhere on the locomotive.

EWS crimson is just the shade of red it is which is pretty close to what the locomotive carried in the photos i sent.

Also you will find if you did want Hogwarts, places like Mercig/ Fox etc will not do it unless you have written permission as they will get hit big time too if you dont have it.

The paintwork itself is not copyrighted, but anything that carries the Hogwarts name, is. So no "Hogwarts Castle" nameplate, no "Hogwarts Express" headboard and no "Hogwarts Railways" emblem on the tender until written permission is given by Warner Brothers.

Newportnobby

Understandable, I guess, but I think it looks a treat. The crimson really suits it.

portland-docks

Quote from: Newportnobby on February 19, 2019, 03:22:18 PM
Understandable, I guess, but I think it looks a treat. The crimson really suits it.

well i didnt want it a bright red, wanted it to suit the maroon coaches it hauls, any brighter and i dont think it would have!

I am working on trying to get permission off warner bros so i can change the emblem to make it accurate, but that could be a long process!

NeMo

Thank you for all of this! Really interesting stuff.

Great looking loco, by the way. Should grace your layout nicely!

NeMo

Quote from: portland-docks on February 19, 2019, 02:53:41 PM
Olton Hall carries a logo on the tender that states "Hogwarts Railways", that its a copyrighted logo which Warner Brothers...
(Former NGS Journal Editor)

Fardap

Or do what many companies do so as not to infringe copyright...

Howgarts
Bogwarts
Hogwars
Hogswart

etc...
:D

ngaugepaul

Hi
Lovely.
Mercig certainly does a great job.
Intrigued with what look like Canadian grain wagons in the background of one of your photos.

Chetcombe

I can understand why a commercial supplier like Mercig or Fox would want to be careful about reproducing a copyright image or logo. But you would not need permission or a license as an individual to make a representation of anything you choose to, so long as it is for your own use.

Have you considered printing your own transfers? You can buy waterslide transfer paper for use in an inkjet printer.
Mike

See my layout here Chetcombe
Videos of Chetcombe on YouTube

PLD

Quote from: Chetcombe on February 19, 2019, 09:32:48 PMyou would not need permission or a license as an individual to make a representation of anything you choose to, so long as it is for your own use.
From what I recall of the last time a similar issue was discussed; For use in the privacy of your own home correct, however for display or use on a layout open to the public it could be classed as "public performance" and need permission.

portland-docks

Quote from: ngaugepaul on February 19, 2019, 08:13:17 PM
Hi
Lovely.
Mercig certainly does a great job.
Intrigued with what look like Canadian grain wagons in the background of one of your photos.

Good eye!

i took these photos on my american layout under construction in my garage, hence the canadian grain hopper in the background!

portland-docks

Quote from: Chetcombe on February 19, 2019, 09:32:48 PM
I can understand why a commercial supplier like Mercig or Fox would want to be careful about reproducing a copyright image or logo. But you would not need permission or a license as an individual to make a representation of anything you choose to, so long as it is for your own use.

Have you considered printing your own transfers? You can buy waterslide transfer paper for use in an inkjet printer.

the model isnt just for home use, it appears on layouts at shows aswell hence the copyright issue

Bob G

I have a dapol Terrier that the Chinese tampo printed "Britis --- hRailways"

Bob

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP