1960s theme, need help on coaches..

Started by Nick_BFC, December 01, 2012, 06:25:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick_BFC

As a newbie to railways in general (always had an interest) my son and I are planning a 1960s industrial town layout. However, I need some help please on the type of locos and coaches we should be running. We have an 08 and a 14 for the shunting side of things, but nothing to haul passenger coaches. I gather a maroon/cream coach is correct for the era, what would be a nice little steam loco to partner these? Also like the all maroon mk1 coaches, are these also correct for the era?

Any help much appreciated, slowly learning things but a lot to learn to ensure the layout is as authentic as possible :)

port perran

Hi.
What area are you modelling? Early 1960s gives you plenty of flexibility but much depends on the location.
As you have classes 08 and 14 do I assume its ex WR territory ?
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

Nick_BFC

Told you I was a newbie, not even planned a location  ;D If the two locos we have are WR, then I am happy to keep that theme running! The layout/town will be fictional, just based on a typical industrial town/yard of the era, but it would be good to keep the locos/rolling stock accurate to the era/location.

port perran

The class 08s were common across the network but the Class 14s were a fairly unsuccesful 0-6-0 diesel hydraulic introduced by the western in the early 60s to replace steam locos on light shunting and branch line trip freight workings. In the end the local goods workings came to an end along with the class14s.
However, why not go for one of Dapol's new 0-6-0 Pannier Tanks to complement your two diesels.
By the way, what is the livery of the 08 ?

As for carriages, what about BR Mk 1s in maroon or Carmine & Cream ?

port perran

Dapol's prarie would also be a good idea if you are intending running local passenger services.

Nick_BFC

Thanks for that. The 08 is BR blue. The class 14 came with the set we originally bought, so I am not too fussed if that fits in or not.

port perran

Ah..... I guess the 14 is in green. If the 08 is blue then that suggests a later era. However, if you are not bothered, then go with a 1963-66 end of steam on the old Western theme. The pannier and prarie will be fine. Diesel wise, you can also use Dapol's Hymek and the new Westerns that will  be coming out soon. Plenty of carriage stock available for that era plus lots of goods wagons and a bit of parcels stock.
Lots of choice and after all it's your layout so you can run what you like.
Good luck.

Nick_BFC

This is the 14 that was included:

Would I be correct in saying a Class 42 would also be suitable?

port perran

So...the class 14 is Nat Coal Board (several were sold by BR for Private Industrial use.
Yes, Class 42s woud be good.  Sunds like your theme may be late 60s/early 70s possibly !

Nick_BFC

Thanks :) That's the period I am interested in, I collect art/furniture from that period so seems natural to base the railway layout on it!

dodger

Some of the class 14's migrated to the Hull area before going to NCB.

Dodger

Nick_BFC

Thanks, will have a good look at that link.

BernardTPM

For late '60s you'll want a mix of maroon and blue/grey for the coaches (the later, the fewer maroon) - the earlier crimson & cream would be very rare even (practically extinct) by the mid-60s. The WR abandoned steam in 1965 so for that period you'd largely have diesel hydraulics and some diesel electrics, mostly green (and maroon for Westerns/Warships), plus blue, mostly with full yellow ends (all three schemes), DMUs in green or blue (the Dapol 122 would be a typical WR type). Freight stock would be largely vacuum or unfitted, though by the end of the '60s new wagons were being built with air brakes and some 'modern' types (45t tanks, 100t tonaks, Freightliners) had appeared. The forthcoming Farish early Mk.2 coaches would also be suitable for the period.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations